1,110 layoffs at Marriott* hotel v.Swan and Dolphin

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
better not fuck up my DIS stock :mad:

my wife worked here back in 2008 and they shit canned everybody the same way :noes:

E8rcSTg.png

With the professional athletes gone, Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is laying off about 1,100 employees because of low occupancy and canceled events in another hit to the tourism industry because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The layoffs are coming after Major League Soccer players and staff stayed there this summer.

The Marriott hotel between Epcot and Hollywood Studios called the economic impact “historic, swift and devastating" as it alerted the state as a requirement under federal law for mass layoffs.

The entire Swan portion of the hotel had been home to MLS teams who were staying there in the “bubble” in July and August as they played in a tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports.

NBA players also became guests at other Disney hotels when the league restarted play in Orlando amid the pandemic.

Even though all Orlando’s theme parks are open, September has been a brutal time for the industry as thousands of employees have recently been let go or placed on indefinite furloughs.

New notices filed this week showed 5,400 Universal employees are furloughed and 1,900 employees at SeaWorld’s Orlando properties are now permanently laid off after being furloughed since March.

The Swan and Dolphin warned the economic impact will carry over into 2021.

The 1,136 positions are in multiple departments of the hotel, including 256 banquet servers, 41 cooks, 67 housekeepers and 88 loss prevention officers. The notice said the layoffs are permanent and effective Nov. 13.

Included are about 135 union employees represented by Teamsters Local 385 who work primarily as servers, housekeepers and laundry attendants. Those employees may be among the first to return if the hotel reverses course and brings back jobs.

At 11%, metro Orlando had the highest regional unemployment rate in the state in August, according to a report released by the state Friday.

Orange County’s jobless rate stood at 11.6% and Osceola was 15.1%, the worst county rates in the state for the month.

Jon91SE

These hoes ain’t loyal
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2004
FL
But in all seriousness I had to drive turnpike-528-95 recently. having lived near there not long ago I was pretty taken back by how empty 528 was on a weekend :(

• Sad
Reactions: couchlock

phat🐄

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Its depressing that when i head back to O-TOWN for TRON 2021/2022, i wont be able to use my BONVOY PLATTY status near property with bus access to the resorts

:(

TS
TS
couchlock

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I found this rather depressing

they going to be giving them damn tickets away soon just trying to get people in the parks to spend $$$

Jon91SE

These hoes ain’t loyal
OT Supporter
Mar 31, 2004
FL
they going to be giving them damn tickets away soon just trying to get people in the parks to spend $$$

I was gifted gold passes for the whole fam and used them once before the China virus ;)

they blow my email up about every other day now

fwiw I had a co worker say he want a couple weeks ago and had the best time he’s ever had there. No lines. Rode avatar three times in one day. Nothing was more then 20 min wait

Reactions: couchlock
TS
TS
couchlock

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
I was gifted gold passes for the whole fam and used them once before the China virus ;)

they blow my email up about every other day now

fwiw I had a co worker say he want a couple weeks ago and had the best time he’s ever had there. No lines. Rode avatar three times in one day. Nothing was more then 20 min wait
no lines ftwwwwwwww

miss me with orlando in September tho

stevezissou

OT Supporter
Jul 15, 2009
US
better not fuck up my DIS stock :mad:

my wife worked here back in 2008 and they shit canned everybody the same way :noes:

E8rcSTg.png

With the professional athletes gone, Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin Resort is laying off about 1,100 employees because of low occupancy and canceled events in another hit to the tourism industry because of the coronavirus pandemic.

The layoffs are coming after Major League Soccer players and staff stayed there this summer.

The Marriott hotel between Epcot and Hollywood Studios called the economic impact “historic, swift and devastating" as it alerted the state as a requirement under federal law for mass layoffs.

The entire Swan portion of the hotel had been home to MLS teams who were staying there in the “bubble” in July and August as they played in a tournament at ESPN Wide World of Sports.

NBA players also became guests at other Disney hotels when the league restarted play in Orlando amid the pandemic.

Even though all Orlando’s theme parks are open, September has been a brutal time for the industry as thousands of employees have recently been let go or placed on indefinite furloughs.

New notices filed this week showed 5,400 Universal employees are furloughed and 1,900 employees at SeaWorld’s Orlando properties are now permanently laid off after being furloughed since March.

The Swan and Dolphin warned the economic impact will carry over into 2021.

The 1,136 positions are in multiple departments of the hotel, including 256 banquet servers, 41 cooks, 67 housekeepers and 88 loss prevention officers. The notice said the layoffs are permanent and effective Nov. 13.

Included are about 135 union employees represented by Teamsters Local 385 who work primarily as servers, housekeepers and laundry attendants. Those employees may be among the first to return if the hotel reverses course and brings back jobs.

At 11%, metro Orlando had the highest regional unemployment rate in the state in August, according to a report released by the state Friday.

Orange County’s jobless rate stood at 11.6% and Osceola was 15.1%, the worst county rates in the state for the month.

2dRMps9.jpg

TS
TS
couchlock

couchlock

digital nomad
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2002
The Highway
Isn’t it owned by Disney but marketed by the old Starwood group ?
the jews did this

The Swan, which opened January 13, 1990 on Disney property, is a joint venture between the Walt Disney Company, Tishman Hotel Corporation, MetLife and Starwood Hotels and Resorts. The land the resort occupies is owned by the Walt Disney Company, while the buildings themselves are leased by Disney to the Tishman Hotel Corporation and MetLife and operated by Marriott International under the Westin Hotels & Resorts brand. The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin are a part of the Walt Disney Collection of resorts; because of this they are Disney branded and guests of the resort have access to special Disney benefits available to Disney Resort Hotel guests only.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan