GUN 1:7 vs 1:9

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
What would the group difference between the two be with 77gr bullets? I can find 1:9 outta the ass but 1:7 not so much

kellyclan

She only loves you when she's drunk.
May 16, 2001
77gr is commonly recommended to be about the heaviest you'd want to put out of a 1/9 barrel, but that will be pushing the limit of that twist rate. If you plan on doing a lot over 65gr, go with the 1/7.

TS
TS
LancerV

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
i'm assuming you mean a .223 AR barrel like 16" ?

Yea, its just a bitch to find a 1:7 I can find either the Noveske 13.7 with KX3 which is 500, or White Oak Stainless Steel only but I really want chrome moly as this upper isnt meant to be my precision upper

Market Garden

For a complete upper, about 3 weeks. That was back in March though.

Willie J

Jul 16, 2005
the alamo
if ur shooting a lot of 55 gr then i would go 1:9. 1:7 will over stabilize 55gr and not be as accurate as if it were shot from a 1:9.
As for the Chrome lined or chrome moly, moly is gonna be more accurate, whereas chrome lined will less accurate, but more durable/easier to clean

my chrome moly with 1:9 will produce 1 to 1.5 MOA @ 100 with cheaper ammos

footratfunkface

Aug 19, 2002
Covington, GA
if ur shooting a lot of 55 gr then i would go 1:9. 1:7 will over stabilize 55gr and not be as accurate as if it were shot from a 1:9.
As for the Chrome lined or chrome moly, moly is gonna be more accurate, whereas chrome lined will less accurate, but more durable/easier to clean

my chrome moly with 1:9 will produce 1 to 1.5 MOA @ 100 with cheaper ammos

Over stabilize? Please explain how that works.

Market Garden

I feel that 1n9 is a compromise. 1n7 or go home.
It's not a compromise, it's just better suited to a specific weight range of bullets. You have to decide what you want to shoot, then pick your barrel. If you want to varmint with 36gr bullets, then 1:7 and 1:9 are bad choices. There is no "best" twist, only the twist that works for your application.

Painkiller

Michael Ronaldo Cristiano
Dec 20, 2001
Earf
well most good ar's don't have 1n12 twist rates anyways with the exception of cmmg. Most .223 bolt guns are 1n12.

phrozenlikwid

Jul 13, 2007
NKY

Are you saying that this doesn't occur at all, or just that it won't likely occur here?

As far as the twist thing goes... depends. What bullets are you going to be shooting? Specifically, not just the weight. Weight itself doesn't mean dick to twist, length and velocity do (and of course, diameter). Twist isn't voodoo, nor is one rate inherintly "better" than the others. It's all about matching the bullets you plan on shooting. Most people like faster twists, because it gives them more flexibility to shoot todays longer (higher BC) bullets and reap downrange results.

Last edited:

sprite

May 20, 2003
MI, USA
Not sure if you're looking for complete uppers or stand-alone barrels but Bravo Company makes complete uppers with chrome-lined 1:7". Sign up for the "Email when its in stock" option and be ready to purchase within an hour of the email being sent.

Willie J

Jul 16, 2005
the alamo
poor choice of words. spinning light projectiles( varmit rounds 36 gr, not as much 55 gr) too fast changes the way they're suppose to break up on impact. look around online, there's material comparing m16a1 with 1:12 shooting 55gr compared to 1:7 shooting 62 gr.... and so forth

Soybomb

Aug 30, 2003
Illinois
poor choice of words. spinning light projectiles( varmit rounds 36 gr, not as much 55 gr) too fast changes the way they're suppose to break up on impact. look around online, there's material comparing m16a1 with 1:12 shooting 55gr compared to 1:7 shooting 62 gr.... and so forth
Bullet spin will not have any impact on what a bullet does when it hits its target, that would be a terminal ballistics myth. If you exceed the ideal twist rate by a large margin, by say putting light weight varmint rounds through a 1/7 twist upper though you might actually spin them so fast that they'll pull themselves apart in the air.

footratfunkface

Aug 19, 2002
Covington, GA
Bullet spin will not have any impact on what a bullet does when it hits its target, that would be a terminal ballistics myth. If you exceed the ideal twist rate by a large margin, by say putting light weight varmint rounds through a 1/7 twist upper though you might actually spin them so fast that they'll pull themselves apart in the air.

Thank you for saving me the time it would've taken to type that.

To the original poster, you might contact Noveske and see if the 16" barrels used in the N4 Light uppers are available separately. I don't think they are, but check. John does a lot of custom work, and may do something like sell one of those barrels alone. If it's in your price range. They do have some nice features if you NEED those features. Otherwise, they're probably a waste.

Also, if they come back in stock anytime soon:

http://global-tactical.com/operatorbarrelwithgastubeandrollpininstock.aspx

spankaveli

Jul 23, 2002
LA. State, not City.
OPERATOR BARREL WITH GAS TUBE AND ROLL PIN.. OUT OF STOCK
<< Previous in Barrels 5.56mm Next in Barrels 5.56mm >>
View More Images

Your Price: $350.00
Out of stock
Item Number: OPERGTRP
Manufacturer: GTS/Dennys Guns
Quantity:
* Whole number only
Add to a new shopping list
Email this page to a friend
The OPERATOR is a Dennys Guns/GTS exclusive.

THIS PACKAGE INCLUDES A MID LENGTH GAS TUBE AND ROLL PIN.

The barrel is a 16.1 Mid Length gas. The blanks are Rockcreek(Mike Rock). The barrel steel is 4150 Chrome Vanadium, full auto rated.

These barrels are fully chrome lined, bore and chamber by US Chrome, who does Colt and most other top line tier one manufacturers barrels

1:7 twist.

MP tested.

Proprietary profile, mid weight with a slight taper from chamber to the gas block.

Weight of barrel: 2.5 Lbs approx.

M4 barrel extensions.

F front sight, pinned.

5.56 NATO chamber.

Barrels will be parked under the front sight base.

Threaded 1/2X28(standard M16 thread) A2 flash hider included.

Standard barrel nut will be installed. Delta assembly will not be included as many of you will be using rail systems and I dont want to add $$$ for parts you might not use. They are available as an option. Same with the Middy gas tube.

We are using nothing but the best here.
fuck yeah, i'll take 5. :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448