CAR 1 of 12 1965 Olds Starfire 4 speed Vert build thread

DizzyEdge

Vax me Trudaddy
OT Supporter
Dec 16, 2007
Calgary, AB
So with cars of this era, when it comes to parts that don't typically wear out like interior pieces or body trim, etc, how hard is it to find parts? Are there lots of aftermarket replica parts in addition to used factory ones?

Adrian

MAKE AMERICA GROPE AGAIN
Oct 27, 2003
Austin, TX
That's fantastic! I have a special place in my heart for Oldsmobiles. First car was a 70 Cutlass 3 speed, my dad and I turned it into a 442 clone. Wish I could find it again.

I'm sure you know who Joe Mondello is?

Reactions: Scottwax

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
That's fantastic! I have a special place in my heart for Oldsmobiles. First car was a 70 Cutlass 3 speed, my dad and I turned it into a 442 clone. Wish I could find it again.

I'm sure you know who Joe Mondello is?

I had a '77 Cutlass that I swapped a 455 into. Fun car. But really wanted a 70-71 442. Now they go for stupid money. :wtc:

TS
TS
Justintiime

Justintiime

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Roanoke, VA
So with cars of this era, when it comes to parts that don't typically wear out like interior pieces or body trim, etc, how hard is it to find parts? Are there lots of aftermarket replica parts in addition to used factory ones?

1965 was a one year only build. parts are extremely hard to find, and when you do, they cost a ton. That's why I buy entire parts cars.

Scottwax

Making detailing great again!
May 5, 2000
Home of the Texas Rangers
The black coupe surely is, for what it is. The motor is far from stock though. I'm anxious to drive this convertible though

The Delta 88 with a 455 I bought for the engine to go into my Cutlass was okay I guess but exhaling through single exhaust in a vehicle that had several hundred pounds on the Cutlass definitely blunted the power. 0-60 as installed into the Cutlass with real dual exhaust, looser converter, electronic ignition and 5 x 14 K&N air clearer and filter was nearly 3 seconds quicker than the same engine in the Delta 88.

Reactions: Justintiime

Walker

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
NY
LONG POST. BUCKLE UP.

I love 1965 Oldsmobile Starfires. Being a fullsize flagship car, they all came with a 425ci motor with 370hp and a ton of options for back then.
My father implanted the obsession in my brain, speaking about one he had in highschool. As I was growing up in Syracuse, NY we would occasionally see them for sale in the paper (this was before the internet *gasp*!). We looked at probably 4 or 5 but they were always rotted out.
Eventually my father got one. It was a common Coupe with auto trans. We have been working on it the last 20 years
sf6_zpscd2a76f0.jpg

We had a new Interior installed

Few years ago, I found this one on ebay. Solid Florida car. Auto Transmission, fully loaded. 43k miles. Only about 2000 convertibles were made in 1965. This was my dad on the test drive :rofl:

Those care are fucking awesome.

Walker

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
NY
It had 7500!! miles on it and was immaculate. I ended up winning the bid. They gave me this free hat as a thank you for paying their exorbitant fees :rofl:

This has to be one of my favorite pictures. Me, my grandfather, and my father

Better pics of the car

Definitely fun.

Gee dude, fat runs in your family huh? ;)

How much did you pay for the cars?

CitznFish

Don't live life by a single sentence
OT Supporter
Jun 12, 2002
SoCal
Nice write up. Enjoy them while you can. I hope you drive them all regularly. :)

TS
TS
Justintiime

Justintiime

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Awesome story! Will you be updating this thread @Justintiime
of course. This post was a dump of the last 3 months of content, so updates will be slower moving forward. I just stopped by the garage and we are looking at another month or 2 before the mechanicals are finished. Then it will be towed to the upholstery shop where it will stay for 4-5 months i'm guessing.

Reactions: brah pitt

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448