CAR 1 of 12 1965 Olds Starfire 4 speed Vert build thread

TS
TS
Justintiime

Justintiime

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Time for an update! Interior is 99% done! The car is currently at another shop to finish the rest of the mechanical and restoration work.

Dug out a good set of "N93" option wheel covers. These covers are common, and they bolt on to a specific steel wheel. The steel wheels are impossible to find, and sometimes cost $1000 per wheel if you are lucky enough to find some. Going off of a message board post from 2001, I contacted a guy that had multiple sets. He was amazed I found his post, and I was amazed he still had 1 set left! They were not perfect, but workable.

Before

After-ish. needs a little more polishing

Dash is out, prepared to go back in

The Dash has been reconditioned. All the trim polished, and the dash repainted

Sourcing this 1965 Air Conditioning specific air box was a real bitch

I probably have the nicest 1965 Starfire floor mats on the planet at this point. These mats are sewn into the carpet. Finding these mats is near impossible. Out of 6 total parts cars, I had only 2 good mats. I reached out to all my Olds buddies and was able to score 2 more mats. Again, these are 1965 specific. The stainless trim is always beat to shit, or missing. I have to admit, this whole car is a pain in the ass to restore.

This is the first time the car has been washed in about 30 years. It has a decent shine to it. After I have my buddy work his paint correction magic, it will look even better. Its currently a 20 footer, hoping to make it a 10 footer lol

And here we go....a finished interior!!

If you read back, when the car arrived at the upholstery shop, it was running like shit. After the upholstery shop replaced all the vacuum lines in the car, it runs like a top now!

The current shop is going to:
- straighten the rear bumper, possibly rechrome it
-new clutch and bellhousing
-undercoat the bottom of the car
-splatter paint the trunk to look factory
-install the N93 wheels
-remove red painted tailpipes and have them chromed back to stock
-install proper shifter and linkage
-test drive the hell out of it!

TS
TS
Justintiime

Justintiime

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Checked out the car the other week. Lots of progress. This shop has installed a new Dual master cylinder (because safety) as well as a new, proper, 4 speed brake booster. Notice how the booster is spaced off the firewall to clear the clutch linkages? This booster is real hard to find, and apparently some redneck place in West by God Virginia had one. No clue how they tracked it down, but kudos to them. They ran all new hard brake lines to all the wheels, and replaced the rear pinion seal as well.

Also,

They installed a new clutch, and the proper bellhousing I sourced off ebay. The clutch only had 3 loose bolts installed in it, and the bellhousing had a window cut in the bottom of it. Not sure why, but it needed to be fixed the right way.

It appears I have a valve cover leak. The chrome ones will be replaced with OEM, and the oil leak will be solved.

TS
TS
Justintiime

Justintiime

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Resto shop is still chipping away at my list, slow and steady. Not much to take photos of, but I did score some new wheels! These are option code N93 wheels. The steel wheels are extremely hard to find, and have 8 holes in them. 5 to mount to the car, and 3 to mount the magnesium cap to the wheel, then the spinner snaps in place. Back in the day most people threw these away in favor of chrome torq thrust or similar wheels. Finding one wheel is impossible. Finding a complete set of 5 is a miracle. Finding wheels, caps, and spinners all in 9/10 original condition is unheard of, but I did it. I could not find anything on Google, so tried DuckDuckGo and found some results. I found some pictures in an OLD thread from 2001, emailed the dude, and 2 days later he replied and said he forgot all about them. He took some recent photos and shared them with me and on another site as well. This instantly got attention from some other buyers. The only reason I ended up with them is I was willing to go against my better judgement and send him postal money orders as he did not have paypal. I used to buy everything with money orders in the early 2000s before I had paypal so I figured why the hell not. Here is what I received.

TS
TS
Justintiime

Justintiime

OT Supporter
Sep 25, 2005
Roanoke, VA
Time for an update.

My factory steering wheel is toast. Looked around for a place to repair it. Apparently where it is damaged is abnormal and almost impossible to fix. It needs to be completely stripped down to the metal hoop, and recast. This costs a small fortune ($2500) and takes about 10 months because everyone is backed up.

If I am going to restore a fucked up wheel, it might as well be the optional Wood Sports Wheel that is impossible to find. Found one though for $50

Took my bumpers to Tri City Plating in Elizabethton, TN for new chrome

Took my headlight, taillight, and bumperettes to East Tennessee Chrome Plating just down the street. Its made of Pot Metal and is restored in a completely different way. The huge radiator is from a Rolls Royce, and they are trying to figure out how to properly chrome it since the radiator is part of the shell.

The N93 wheels are installed and look fantastic. Center caps are yet to be installed. You can see my gaudy temporary steering wheel.

Also, just picked up this gem. 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 6 speed manual only 4500 miles. Its never been registered so I am literally the first owner in 2021 lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448