SRS 10 Years Clean

ForgottenSpiral

Hope and Irony
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
NoVA
Just hit ten years clean today. This isn't to brag, but to show it can work. <3 NA

Remember: "The therapeutic value of one addict helping another is without parallel."

Maxie

Feb 22, 2011
Just hit ten years clean today. This isn't to brag, but to show it can work. <3 NA

Remember: "The therapeutic value of one addict helping another is without parallel."
That is wonderful! I am in early recovery and love hearing that it does work and most off all how someone is making it work.

Congrats!

TS
TS
ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral

Hope and Irony
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
NoVA
If this sick bastard can get clean (me) then anyone can!

I'll share a bit of my story when I get some time later. ^_^

Man_with_some

May 18, 2011
Congratulations on your triumph and willpower. If those things aint helping you, don't use em.

Sure you have tons to tell about it too.

TS
TS
ForgottenSpiral

ForgottenSpiral

Hope and Irony
OT Supporter
Feb 2, 2004
NoVA
Well I won't delve too much into my time using, but suffice it to say I suffered many of the negative consequences we're all familiar with, though fortunately jails, institutions and death weren't among them. I did pretty much every major drug other than crack or heroin (or other hardcore opiates). I tried to get clean a number of times, but couldn't do it until I stopped hanging out with people who used, stop going where people were using, and started finding other things to do. I threw myself into work and a romantic relationship (neither is ideal, but both are better than using imo). It wasn't until my relationship started to fall apart a few years later that I became desperate enough to go to an NA meeting.

So yeah, I spent my first few years clean without a program, but I wouldn't (and don't) suggest that to anyone. I've gone periods of time without meetings since I started going to NA and I can say without a doubt that my life is always better when I go to meetings. I can stay clean with other non-using people in my life, but when I use ALL the tools of the program, my life is infinitely better.

When I was using, my life was a mess. Since I got clean, I graduated college with a double major, got a job that pays well, have no debt, have money in the bank, have the best friends I've ever had, have better relationships with my family, I'm healthier than I've ever been, and I've been told by a number of people that I'm the most moral person they know.

Over ten years ago none of that was true. And I fully intend to keep on improving in any and every way I can.

As obnoxious as they are - and believe me, I hate them - the cliches are true:

Keep coming back. It works if you work it.

lauren

Apr 11, 2005
Palo Alto, CA
crazy. congrats!

it seems so unobtainable at times, so distant, and then i realize how quickly time has passed in my own story. it is possible, and that's encouraging.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan