GUN 1911 Owners v. need halp

Admitted

I shouldn't be on OT right now.
Dec 11, 2006
Lawl School
I'm pretty sure I will be trading in my Detonics Combat Master and putting it toward either...

1) Dan Wesson Classic Bobtail <- needs a trigger job
2) STI Ranger II
3) Used Les Baer
All are 4.25.
This will be a carry weapon.
I fingered an Ed Brown and absolutely loved it, but it was also $2,300. Anyone shot or dry fired all or some? I'm looking for comparisons. Thanks in advance.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
I'd lean towards the LB depending on condition, who it was bought from and round count.

Ideal scenario would be a LB with minor holster wear, no signs of "self gunsmithing", well fitted parts, shot around 2000-3000 rounds for about $1000-1200 with a few mags and a holster.

Last edited:

phrozenlikwid

Jul 13, 2007
NKY
My god man!

You sold a perfectly good, high end 1911, for a Glock?? This does not compute. Did Yar drug you and whisper sweet nothings in your ear?

phrozenlikwid

Jul 13, 2007
NKY
Like I said earlier... "After trying H&K's, Sig's a $2.5k+ customized 1911 I'm back to 9mm Glocks again''

I'm just giving you shit of course. Whatever you are happy with.

Anything not happy with in regards to the LB, or was it just the Glocks were a better fit for you?

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
I told myself that I'd have to love shooting my TRS as much as my Glock 34 on the last trip to the range for me to keep it or sell it to someone that will actually enjoy it like it needs to be instead of sitting in my safe. lol

I told you it was a safe queen, ha ha fuckin with you. :mamoru:

how much did you get for it?

wickedgun

Aug 27, 2008
i have a STI Ranger II, great gun, cant go wrong. I personally if had the choice would go with STI over anything. but of course im biased. lol. (got mine in 9mm for $975 cash)

i used to own a DW CBOB, the slide to frame fit, overall fitting in generally is very very tight, bbl bushing requires a wrench to take off or else you'll damage your fingernails. i cut myself with rear serrations. overall build and quality is awesome, had issues with rear sights being loose but at times its expected. i actually had a pair, 1 in 10mm and 1 in .45acp..

the few LB's i've shot that have come in and out of the range, i have nothing bad to say about them, i've just never owned em.

AB13

Jul 8, 2006
Auburn, WA
Depends on how you spring your gun. I run an 11lb spring in my Governments with a FLGR and shok buff and I can take the bushing off with my thumb.

If you are needing a wrench, your likly running an 18.5 + lb spring, too heavy for my handloads.

wickedgun

Aug 27, 2008
Depends on how you spring your gun. I run an 11lb spring in my Governments with a FLGR and shok buff and I can take the bushing off with my thumb.

If you are needing a wrench, your likly running an 18.5 + lb spring, too heavy for my handloads.
no, depressing the plunger is easy, but the bbl bushing fit to the slide is what i mean, its a pretty freaking tight fit. even with the slide disassembled.

wickedgun

Aug 27, 2008
if you consider going full size, dan wesson valor is nice, although i cant find a distributor that has one in stock. i guess the only making 2000 wasnt a rumor.

TS
TS
Admitted

Admitted

Dec 11, 2006
Lawl School
i have a STI Ranger II, great gun, cant go wrong. I personally if had the choice would go with STI over anything. but of course im biased. lol. (got mine in 9mm for $975 cash)

i used to own a DW CBOB, the slide to frame fit, overall fitting in generally is very very tight, bbl bushing requires a wrench to take off or else you'll damage your fingernails. i cut myself with rear serrations. overall build and quality is awesome, had issues with rear sights being loose but at times its expected. i actually had a pair, 1 in 10mm and 1 in .45acp..

the few LB's i've shot that have come in and out of the range, i have nothing bad to say about them, i've just never owned em.

3 questions if you don't mind.

Why are you biased? Why did you sell the DWs? Would you ever buy a LB or is STI pretty freakin' good to get better than?

wickedgun

Aug 27, 2008
3 questions if you don't mind.

Why are you biased? Why did you sell the DWs? Would you ever buy a LB or is STI pretty freakin' good to get better than?
no matter the maker, every 1911 is different and will operate differently. im just partial to STI since i own a few myself. i would put both LB and STI in the same category as far as quality. comes down to personal preference.

i sold the CBOBs because i made bad financial decisions at that time. lol :hs:

TS
TS
Admitted

Admitted

Dec 11, 2006
Lawl School
no matter the maker, every 1911 is different and will operate differently. im just partial to STI since i own a few myself. i would put both LB and STI in the same category as far as quality. comes down to personal preference.

i sold the CBOBs because i made bad financial decisions at that time. lol :hs:

So someone gives you a choice of the 3 firearms, and you are not allowed to sell it, which one do you pick?

wickedgun

Aug 27, 2008
sti... they are more affordable IMO and out the box, theres not much improvements that can be done. when i had a 2011 frame fitted to my ranger II slide, i didnt have the trigger worked on, didnt feel it needed any improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan