GUN 1911 Trigger Frame

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
not sure what you are asking for here. Do you mean just the trigger guard? I've never seen one for sale since the trigger guard is integrated into the frame. It's usually all one piece of metal.

Or are you referring to the entire lower frame? If the frame, they are available from Brownells. BUT, I see you are in CA. unfortunately there is no way to purchase a 1911 frame in California. It's not that it's illegal, it's just that the DROS software doesn't have the right options to put in a frame.

I do see them come up for sale in CA occasionally, but that's from people who move into California with the frame (where they can bypass the DROS software and do the volunteer registration form). Usually when they do show up for sale they sell at a premium over what the rest of the country can get them for through brownells.

gotta love CA :hs:

TS
TS
terdbird

terdbird

Aug 30, 2011
Lexington, KY
not sure what you are asking for here. Do you mean just the trigger guard? I've never seen one for sale since the trigger guard is integrated into the frame. It's usually all one piece of metal.

Or are you referring to the entire lower frame? If the frame, they are available from Brownells. BUT, I see you are in CA. unfortunately there is no way to purchase a 1911 frame in California. It's not that it's illegal, it's just that the DROS software doesn't have the right options to put in a frame.

I do see them come up for sale in CA occasionally, but that's from people who move into California with the frame (where they can bypass the DROS software and do the volunteer registration form). Usually when they do show up for sale they sell at a premium over what the rest of the country can get them for through brownells.

gotta love CA :hs:
Yeah the entire lower frame. That would make sense why I am unable to find one for sale. Supposing I had an address in another state, I should be able to purchase one there right? The one place I saw that mentioned selling them said something about needing an FFL, which I've determined to be a Federal Firearms License. Is that universally true?

dpixel8

Feb 8, 2001
WI Go Bucky!!!!!!!
Yeah the entire lower frame. That would make sense why I am unable to find one for sale. Supposing I had an address in another state, I should be able to purchase one there right? The one place I saw that mentioned selling them said something about needing an FFL, which I've determined to be a Federal Firearms License. Is that universally true?

caspian arms

Paul Revere

OT Supporter
May 19, 2003
Cali-NO NFA-fornia
\BUT, I see you are in CA. unfortunately there is no way to purchase a 1911 frame in California. It's not that it's illegal, it's just that the DROS software doesn't have the right options to put in a frame.

thats not entirely true.

IIRC you can select OTHER then it gives you an option for receiver. Panzerace would have a more accurate answer, though.

beetle

blah blah blah
OT Supporter
Jun 1, 2001
Bay Area & Lake Tahoe
thats not entirely true.

IIRC you can select OTHER then it gives you an option for receiver. Panzerace would have a more accurate answer, though.

i mis-remembered. the end result is the same, however, you can't buy just a 1911 frame in California. Why? because the feds consider a frame to be a "firearm". Thus, if a frame is a firearm, then it must be subject to CA safe handgun roster. And because the frame can't be tested and doesn't have things like a loaded chamber indicator, it doesn't pass as a "safe" handgun.

so no-go on dealer transfers. The only way you can buy a 1911 frame in CA is to find someone who brought one into the state as a part of a permanent residence move into CA and doing a person to person transfer.

I think the OP asked if he could have one sent to another state. That would also be illegal. It's like using your second residence to buy a handgun and then illegally bringing it into CA. Now you CAN do this if it's a part of a permanent residence move...

I *think* you might also be able to get a frame by having an out of state dad gift one to you. Inter-family transfers are exempt from the safe handgun roster.

anyways, I'm not a FFL this is just my understanding of complex CA laws.

mstad

Apr 6, 2009
Oregon
I think you mean your buddy in Nevada is buying one and is gonna move to CA and then sell it to you?

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
That is the one. Ordered a Classic receiver to my buddy in Nevada, he will turn and ship it to me in Ca. Great success!
it's supposed to go FFL to FFL between states and he can't transfer it to you legally due to the item in question not being on 'the list' I'm so happy I maintained residency in my home of record.

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
So this FFL shit is the American way to register and track firearms?
not rly. Gun shops have to be licensed and you can only purchase new guns from a licensed dealer. used guns can be purchased in a private party transfer depending upon the state.

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
i mis-remembered. the end result is the same, however, you can't buy just a 1911 frame in California. Why? because the feds consider a frame to be a "firearm". Thus, if a frame is a firearm, then it must be subject to CA safe handgun roster. And because the frame can't be tested and doesn't have things like a loaded chamber indicator, it doesn't pass as a "safe" handgun.

Correct...mostly. If it was a single shot/single action/olympic pistol/C&R gun, it would NOT have to be on the list, thus, if you had a SA/OP/C&R frame, that you could technically DROS. Most shops unless they really read the law still wouldn't do it most likely.

so no-go on dealer transfers. The only way you can buy a 1911 frame in CA is to find someone who brought one into the state as a part of a permanent residence move into CA and doing a person to person transfer.

Or if it was a frame more than 50 years old (as above). The other way which is.....not entirely on the up and up would be to have a LEO buy it with his own money, and then turn right back around and PPT it to you. It doesn't *technically* violate any laws (no straw purchase since both people go through a background and its with the LEO's money), but I wouldn't do it if ATF or DOJ were in the shop :o

I think the OP asked if he could have one sent to another state. That would also be illegal. It's like using your second residence to buy a handgun and then illegally bringing it into CA. Now you CAN do this if it's a part of a permanent residence move...

IANAL, but the law from what I remember is fairly murky on dual residency issues. The only place where it would really come up is on the 4473 for state of residence, and I'd have to check at work to see how the question is worded. It might be a "current residence" thing, or it might be perm residence :dunno:

I *think* you might also be able to get a frame by having an out of state dad gift one to you. Inter-family transfers are exempt from the safe handgun roster.

Easiest way to go about it really if you NEED a frame (and don't want to just buy a Rock Island. Only issue in that case is that it has to be physically handed from father (or grand father) to you.

anyways, I'm not a FFL this is just my understanding of complex CA laws.

Answers in red and not broken up since I need to get up early tomorrow.

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
Answers in red and not broken up since I need to get up early tomorrow.
If you could figure the dual residency thing out that would be great, although I'm not actually a resident of CA I have a nifty set of paperwork that gives me the privilege to buy a handgun in the state, not that I would because the fees tacked on are stupid. I'd rather fly home on leave and bring something back with me in my suitcase.

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
If you could figure the dual residency thing out that would be great, although I'm not actually a resident of CA I have a nifty set of paperwork that gives me the privilege to buy a handgun in the state, not that I would because the fees tacked on are stupid. I'd rather fly home on leave and bring something back with me in my suitcase.
I checked today. The Feds want you to put whatever state you are currently residing in as the state of residence on the 4473 in multiple ID situations. I can copy/paste the applicable section tomorrow or monday if anyone wants me to.

Not sure why you'd want to buy guns in CA, since you'd have to wait ten days to pick it up :dunno:

NEp8ntballer

Mar 22, 2006
I checked today. The Feds want you to put whatever state you are currently residing in as the state of residence on the 4473 in multiple ID situations. I can copy/paste the applicable section tomorrow or monday if anyone wants me to.

Not sure why you'd want to buy guns in CA, since you'd have to wait ten days to pick it up :dunno:
ten day jail is pretty gay.

HSTexan

Feb 25, 2008
MS
ten day jail is pretty gay.

As is real jail which is where TS is going to land if someone catches on to what's going on with his frame.

This is almost as bad as the kid who made an un-registered SBR and posted pictures bragging about it

Omega6_Virus

Oct 20, 2002
As is real jail which is where TS is going to land if someone catches on to what's going on with his frame.

This is almost as bad as the kid who made an un-registered SBR and posted pictures bragging about it

I can't wait to saw down my shotgun barrels! Pics tomorrow! :hahano:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan