GUN 1x7 or 1x9 barrel for 16" midlength AR

MidwestHigh

Nov 1, 2010
I just sold my 20" dpms for $900 today. I'm putting together a 16" custom kit from Delton. I need to get this purchased in the next few days. I'm having trouble deciding between a 1x7 or 1x9. My options are:

1x7 chrome-lined heavy barrel
1x9 chrome-lined heavy barrel
1x9 chrome-lined lightweight barrel
1x9 heavy barrel stainless steel

I'm dead set on chrome-lined so that eliminates the 1x9 SS. The mid-length handguard is going to be a 4-rail free float yankee hill. Is a heavy barrel going to make the rifle a little top heavy? It will have a collapsible stock.

I can't decide between 1x7 or 1x9 twist. I will only be shooting 55gr and 62gr ammo at distances that will rarely go beyond 200 yards but in the near future it will only be 100 yards max.

I've read some threads on ar15.com and thr.com and it seems like everyone contradicts what the last person says. What is your guys opinions/experiences?

l

Rip The Jacker

Jul 24, 2002
1x7 but it probably wont matter for what you're shooting. I'd still do it just because it's not going to negatively affect you now. Think of it as futureproofing.

Fireball

Aug 24, 2004
Wisconsin
The lighter weight projectiles will lead to better accuracy out of the 1x9 twist.

If you want to go up to 68, 69 or 72, go with the 1x7.

JohnBuuu

Aug 9, 2004
Davidsonville, DPRMD
Want a newish Colt M4 upper with a 1/9 barrel, or an LMT M4 upper with 1/7? For you, I can make good price, cousin.

FWIW, I have shot plenty of 55gr through 1/7 and have not noticed a shift in accuracy.

Last edited:
TS
TS
MidwestHigh

MidwestHigh

Nov 1, 2010
ok after a ton of reading and your responses I do want the 1x7. now im just concerned about the weight of the rifle since I'll be getting a yankee hill free float handguard as well. there is a gun show this weekend about 40 minutes from my house so i'm going to go there and start handling some ARs. I only have experience with the AR i sold that was a 20" heavy barrel with a FF handguard. it was heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec