2 pics of my new car, after detailing it AND after a goddamn rainstorm.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by The Green Bastard, Sep 18, 2005.

1. The Green Bastard

The Green Bastard Click click click bang

I can't win. Started detailing it yesterday, and the skies opened up. Luckily I was inside, but the air was so humid that the wax started clumping.
    And it rained all night. :mad:

Reflection off the roof:
    [​IMG]

Plaster pit near here:
    [​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Looks pretty good! I hear ya on the rain. If the forecast calls for isolated rain/storms, you can be sure they will be isolated in the exact area I am detailing that day. Really sucks when it is near 100 when the storms come. Pours for 30 minutes then the sun comes back out. Gets back up to 100 again but with an assload of humidity. :eek3:

3. The Green Bastard

It was cloudy when I started, but didn't look too bad.

And thanks for suggesting the NXT. That's amazing stuff.

A couple Q's --- the hood has a few light scratches -- probably from a snowbrush. Any suggestions on how to get them out? They're not deep or anything, and you can't feel them.

4. Scottwax

I would seriously consider investing a couple hundred bucks on a Porter Cable buffer and some pads, especially with black paint, along with some Optimum Polish and Clearkote's Vanilla Moose. Use the Optimum Polish for deep polishing and Vanilla Moose for maintenance polishing.

5. The Green Bastard

:cool: Maybe I'll ask santa for one! :o

Where do you get a PC....Home Depot?

A normal variable buffer wouldn't do it, will it? My brother has one.

6. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

I've been looking for a product that goes inbetween DACP and Vanilla Moose so i think i might try out the optimum polish. It seems that i still have small swirls after i detail and I think its because DACP is slightly abbrassive that it puts some marks in and then when I go over with vanilla moose it doesnt really get them out even though the paint feels awesome afterwards.

What pad would you suggest for this, i have green light cutting and blue light polishing pads from exceldetail.com Also what speed is recommend for this product on the PC? I just hope this product will work well inbetween these other two and will work well with all the other products im using. I was talking to my friend (chem major) and he was explaining how some products won't even work well with each other and i'll be wasting my time since I could be applying a new product that completly removes everything another product just put in the paint.

7. Scottwax

Lowes sells the Porter Cable 7336 for $109. The PC is the only way to go. Cheaper RO/DA buffers simply have neither the power nor pad choice to come close to the PC.

8. Scottwax

You can use Optimum with either a cutting pad or a polishing pad, depending on the severity of the defects you are trying to remove.

Your buddy is only half right. With waxes, he is correct to a degree since many liquid waxes and sealants have solvent carriers to make them easier to spread and the solvents may remove some of the previous wax or sealant already applied. However, the purpose of a compound, polish or swirl remover is to abrade the paint to smooth and eliminate defects. Using a lighter polish after a compound further refines the paint. What you are doing is correcting the paint, not adding anything to it.

9. The Green Bastard

:cool::bigthumb: