TECH 2 questions: opinion on MB for server and eee pc install

Mycophiles

OT Supporter
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, Texas
First. I need to setup a server. I've made a thread before. Here's the gist. I have an Athlon 64 3400+ that I want to use for a server. The board died so I'd like to get a MB for it to use as a server. For the MB and the Ram I'd like to keep it under 140$. Also, if possible, I'd like the board to have raid capabilities. (long shot I know) Could someone suggest a board for this application in the price range ~ considering ram is 30$.

Also, bought my mom an Asus EEE PC for Christmas. I'd like to load MS powerpoint on it but don't have a usb cd-rom. Is there someway I can copy files from the install disk or create an ISO?

Thanks in advance.

nucklearknight

Sep 21, 2008
San Francisco, California
First. I need to setup a server. I've made a thread before. Here's the gist. I have an Athlon 64 3400+ that I want to use for a server. The board died so I'd like to get a MB for it to use as a server. For the MB and the Ram I'd like to keep it under 140$. Also, if possible, I'd like the board to have raid capabilities. (long shot I know) Could someone suggest a board for this application in the price range ~ considering ram is 30$.

Also, bought my mom an Asus EEE PC for Christmas. I'd like to load MS powerpoint on it but don't have a usb cd-rom. Is there someway I can copy files from the install disk or create an ISO?

Thanks in advance.
Install Office using a drive on another computer shared over a network. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installation_on_ThinkPads_without_CD-ROM_drive
That's designed for ThinkPads but it's basically the same principle. It's really not that hard.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor