A&P 200-300mm Shooting v.camerashake

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mighty_Zeus, May 2, 2007.

  1. Mighty_Zeus

    Mighty_Zeus Guest

    Any advice on how to minimize camera shake from the shutter?

    I take a lot of pictures in the 200-300mm range, and a lot in "low light" conditions. I have a cheap-o tripod that I use when taking these pictures.

    Would investing in a pro level tri-pod help reduce shake from the shutter? I usually use timer when taking these shots so my hand doesn't interfere when depressing the shutter release, but I have found that is almost worse sometimes.

    I know not to extend the neck on the tri-pod (pre-emptive).

    Thanks :)

    D50 w/70-300 Nikkor
  2. Jhegro

    Jhegro wtf is a jhegro?

    Aug 20, 2000
    Likes Received:
    buy a lens thats opens up wider.
    get something with VR
    and a pro level tripod isnt gonna do jack shit. my 1980 silk tripod would do just fine.
  3. mojito

    mojito New Member

    Mar 8, 2003
    Likes Received:
    70-200 VR has your name on it. or 120-300 sigma + monopod
  4. natelam

    natelam New Member

    Jan 31, 2006
    Likes Received:
    for your setup, a pro tripod isn't going to offer leaps and bounds better support because it simply isn't that heavy. You may need to improve the balance of the rig if you're attaching the camera at the body, since the center of gravity changes as the lens get's longer and larger. However, if you the tripod is the weakest link - yes, a tripod is the single best investment you can make.

    If you really want to shell out some dough look at the Gitzo 6x 2000 series tripods which would be perfect for your rig. Not cheap, but worth every penny. I use the 3000 series for a D2H + 300 2.8 lens and it takes the weight like a champ.

    What will improve your shots though is a good ballhead, and a vibration dampening baseplate like a Markins U-20. You could also do Mirror Lock Up and cable or remote release if your camera has that option.

    Also, how are you stabilizing the camera when you shoot. I like to place my left hand on top of the lens and firmly hold it down to minimize shake from wind. This does require you to have the center of gravity over the lens though.
  5. mobbarley

    mobbarley Active Member

    Mar 4, 2005
    Likes Received:
    what do you call a cheapo tripod? a $30 one?

    if so you will see a big improvement going to something like a manfrotto 055 or what natelam mentioned.

    if you are already using a basic manfrotto or similar then you probably wont see much improvement.

Share This Page