2008 Buell lineup.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by deusexaethera, Feb 15, 2008.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

From the look of it, about 3/4 of their 2008 lineup is based on the Firebolt (XB12) frame. Is that right, or do I need to get my eyes checked?

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

No you are just retarded
    Buell has the the XB series of bikes that comes in 3 flavors
    Street - The XB-S series - less aggressive, more up right riding position
    Sport - the XB-R series - very aggressive over the front tire riding position
    Adventure - The XB-X series - upright, big comfortable can be taken on very tame off road
    The XB-Ss and teh XB-Rs come in 2 engines sizes 984cc and 1203cc.
    The XB-Xs are only available in the 1203cc engine size
    Buell also added the 1125R this year, considered part of the XB-R series the 1125R has a brand new liquid cooled engine, designed by buell and produced by Rotax, buell patented this engine so you will not see it in anything but a buell.
    This you will see in the XB series is the fuel in the frame, oil in the swing arm(all but the 1125R) and the muffler on the underside. What makes up the buell line up, mass centralization, low center of gravity, frame rigidity
    They also have the Buell Blast which is their starter bike.

3. toezter

toezter New Member

*sigh*

could have at least posted something with pics. now i'll have to goto buell.com to look at their line up.

GEEEEEZE

4. deusexaethera

Go to hell. I asked a question respectfully; you can damn well answer it respectfully.

Okay, but they're still all based on the same frame, if the parts layout is any indication. Aren't the XBS, XBR, and XBX just variations on a theme?
    What's so great about it?
    Yes, I'm familiar. I read about the Firebolt when it first came out and I was quite impressed.

5. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

variations on a theme? no. it's possible they share the same frame, I don't know. the basic engine is also pretty much the same (I suspect different cams in different engines, though). that's about it, though. Clipons vs high bars, high/back rearsets vs lower, more forward pegs, different suspension, different bodywork, etc.

6. deusexaethera

Eh. I'm an engineer, I don't look at the bodywork. All I care about is whether the non-user-replaceable components (like the frame, swingarm, the engine to a certain extent) are the same.

I remember reading about the Firebolt when it came out; the description was pretty much that of my dream bike, though it was just a little sportier than I feel comfortable handling. Maybe a nice streetfighter (I feel so stupid saying that name) would be a good choice.

7. Frequency

Frequency New Member

They are all XB models, the 3rd letter explains the variation on the model but the variations are great enough to make the "sub-models" of the XB lineup their each opwn unique model
    The 1125R engine is special b/c its buell first deviation from the air cooled Sportster motor. The stats on the motor are very nice, 146 HP @ the crank approx 130-135 @ the rear wheel and a almost flat torque curve around 85ft/lbs the I will be picking up an 09 1125R this july/august

8. luxy

luxy Active Member

All the bikes in the XB lineup are built around the XB frame, yes.

XB Family for 2008 consists of:

XB12R Firebolt
    [​IMG]

XB9SX Lightning City Cross

[​IMG]

XB12S Lightning

[​IMG]

XB12Scg Lightning Low

[​IMG]

XB21Ss Lightning Long

[​IMG]

XB12STT Lightning TT

[​IMG]

XB12X Ulysses

[​IMG]

XB12XT Ulysses

[​IMG]

Then there is also the Blast, which uses a more conventional frame set-up, and the 1125R which is a brand new bike from the ground up, with a frame similar to the XB series and a 1125cc liquid-cooled Rotax-built engine.

Any other questions?

9. luxy

luxy Active Member

Among the XBS and XBR models (and to a lesser extent the XBX) there are many interchangeable parts. Were there any specific components you were concerned about or just in general?

10. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

I wonder why there's such a big jump from the Blast to the next models. I rather enjoy my little blast and would be willing to check out Buell's other models, but I don't really want to kill myself on a 1100 cc bike.

11. Junkie

the xb9sx is a bit smaller

and while the other buells are large displacement, they're nowhere near the power levels of other sportbikes of similar displacement.

12. deusexaethera

Just in general. Obviously, though, the frame, fork, and swingarm comprise the major structural components, and as such they aren't really "replaceable" in the sense that you could buy an aftermarket piece with some special properties that the stock piece didn't have.

13. deusexaethera

Man, I really like the way the Lightnings look. I just wish I had a little less fear of death.

14. Frequency

Frequency New Member

its a v-twin air cooled engine the 984cc engine puts out a very smooth torque curve and is low horsepower its actually better than a modren 600 IMO for next step up

15. Junkie

I think the forks are somewhat different across them, but am not at all sure...

and you can certainly buy aftermarket forks that are better than the stock ones

16. Katsumoto

Katsumoto New Member

What about compared to an SV650? That's what I had kinda planned on getting next. I only have one summer on the blast.

17. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

I've heard bad things about Buell reliability and build quality. Are they worth the money?

18. Frequency

Frequency New Member

I've only had a few minor problems with mine over the past 25k miles nothing major. '04 and newer the buells have had very few problems.

19. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Never ridden a 650 but from talking with guys i know who have them the power is comparable. The buell was my 2nd bike after i put 12k on an old yamaha

20. luxy

luxy Active Member

The XB9SX or an older XB9R is actually a very forgiving bike. I would rate it much more novice-friendly than a 600cc Supersport bike. It only has 92ish hp (new 600 has 110 or so) and the torque curve is very predictable and user-friendly. Go for it :bigthumb: I had one as my first real bike (rode an EX500 for about a week then jumped on the XB9R)

21. luxy

luxy Active Member

We very rarely see XB-series Buells in at the shop for major problems. I never had a problem with mine for the 2 years I had it.

22. luxy

luxy Active Member

The XB9 actually has about 20 more hp than a SV650, but the power characteristics are similar.