CAR 2012 Buick Regal GS

TriShield

Jul 6, 2001
Houston, TX
I still dislike the lack of the 2.8L V6 turbo (which the Saab 9-5, 9-4X use and Cadillac SRX used here) and AWD that Europe gets.

91RS

If this flag offends you... you need a history les
Aug 18, 2004
All over.
Would buy! I finally got to drive a Regal earlier this week (though with the 2.4L) and I was glad I did enjoy driving it. I've really liked the look of the Regal since it came out. The 6 speed option is awesome, too! I love real manuals.

BeagleMe

Nov 4, 2009
Claremont, CA/Adelaide, SA
+1 @ TriShield

I still wouldn't buy it. The car looks good(albeit a little generic), has a nice interior...but it really needs to not be front wheel drive. The article says that it has one of the most advanced front wheel drive systems, which I do not doubt; but once you get passed 200 flywheel hp(let alone 270), I think a car really needs to at least be AWD.

TriShield

Jul 6, 2001
Houston, TX
You can get a new Saab 9-5 Aero, which is a stretched platform mate to this car, with a turbocharged V6, more power and AWD. If you haven't driven a new one go check it out, it's a hoot to drive.

The Saab uses the same Hi-Per strut suspension and yes it does make FWD cars feel really really good, but it's still doesn't match AWD.

TS
TS

deanh8

Jul 17, 2006
+1 @ TriShield

I still wouldn't buy it. The car looks good(albeit a little generic), has a nice interior...but it really needs to not be front wheel drive. The article says that it has one of the most advanced front wheel drive systems, which I do not doubt; but once you get passed 200 flywheel hp(let alone 270), I think a car really needs to at least be AWD.

With a good FWD suspension setup its not THAT bad. I have a mildly modded '99 Regal GS, makes 400ftlbs of torque and almost 350hp, it has no traction problems or stablity issues. Its actually setup for road racing and it does quite well.

TS
TS

deanh8

Jul 17, 2006
Im hoping this will get the 2.8 after a few model years, remember this is Buicks 1st "performance" car since bankruptcy. They always make them better after a few years...

BeagleMe

Nov 4, 2009
Claremont, CA/Adelaide, SA
I like you're choice of words. "it's not THAT bad.". Which I am by no means denying. I'm sure it's a great car to drive. However, it would be better if it wasn't FWD. I'm sure your Buick performs perfectly well, too. Though, you can't disagree that it would be better if it had a different layout.

EDIT: Understeer would seem like a large issue to deal with in road racing a front wheel drive car.

TS
TS

deanh8

Jul 17, 2006
Honestly its totally manageable. My race car is a C5 Z06, GS is a daily driver, but I will hand any bolt on EVO or STi their ass in the Regal. Of corse it has suspension work but I got it to run solid 12 sec 1/4 miles times not having any traction issues with stock components. Any other FWD car out there is hopping the wheels off the hubs lol

When I say its not "that" bad, Is because it makes 400lbs of torque at under 3k rpm, the supercharger makes things interesting as far as power delivery. Any turbo car would be way easier to control Hell 400ftlbs at 2500rpm in a mustang will give you issues... just as it would an STi

Curren$y

Aug 18, 2004
Honestly its totally manageable. My race car is a C5 Z06, GS is a daily driver, but I will hand any bolt on EVO or STi their ass in the Regal. Of corse it has suspension work but I got it to run solid 12 sec 1/4 miles times not having any traction issues with stock components. Any other FWD car out there is hopping the wheels off the hubs lol

When I say its not "that" bad, Is because it makes 400lbs of torque at under 3k rpm, the supercharger makes things interesting as far as power delivery. Any turbo car would be way easier to control Hell 400ftlbs at 2500rpm in a mustang will give you issues... just as it would an STi

FWD still blows donkey dick. coming form a guy who had a fwd car in the mid 12s. it's gay

GFlem

Sep 13, 2004
Lakewood, OH
With a good FWD suspension setup its not THAT bad. I have a mildly modded '99 Regal GS, makes 400ftlbs of torque and almost 350hp, it has no traction problems or stablity issues. Its actually setup for road racing and it does quite well.

That doesn't qualify as a mild mod :rofl:

You're 120 ft-lbs and 150 HP above stock lol.

TS
TS

deanh8

Jul 17, 2006
That doesn't qualify as a mild mod :rofl:

You're 120 ft-lbs and 150 HP above stock lol.

Youd be susprised at how well these things respond to mods. I live in california I cant do much to it or it will fuck up emissions .

Added an Intercooler, raised boost (ie smaller pulley), full exhaust, intake, and a supercharger off a 2004 (same case different internals) model year and there is not much to it.

Here is under the hood, looks pretty mild to me?? and it passes emissions so... ?

After all its JUST a daily driver. It gets driven every single day of the year, can bust down 11's, out handle pretty much any import car that comes its way all while while getting 30mpg.

My Z06 and my Street bikes are the toys!

IMG_3599small.jpg

Picture059small.jpg

IMG_1694_5_6_7_8_9small2-1.jpg

IMG_2850_49_48_47_46small2.jpg

Last edited:

0wn3d_productivity

Aug 1, 2002
New Yawk
Youd be susprised at how well these things respond to mods. I live in california I cant do much to it or it will fuck up emissions .

Added an Intercooler, raised boost (ie smaller pulley), full exhaust, intake, and a supercharger off a 2004 (same case different internals) model year and there is not much to it.

Here is under the hood, looks pretty mild to me?? and it passes emissions so... ?

After all its JUST a daily driver. It gets driven every single day of the year, can bust down 11's, out handle pretty much any import car that comes its way all while while getting 30mpg.

My Z06 and my Street bikes are the toys!

IMG_3599small.jpg

Picture059small.jpg

IMG_1694_5_6_7_8_9small2-1.jpg

IMG_2850_49_48_47_46small2.jpg

Modded GTP over here:wavey:

TS
TS

deanh8

Jul 17, 2006
All I have to say is its makes one fun of a daily driver... its not always this loud but a little burnout action here: Its been quieted down a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo3HltVyCaA

Has about 200k miles now, runs like a champ, gets 30mpg, keeps up with todays best and its comfy and roomy as hell. And it doesnt ever break or give any issues so it can be relied on it while the Z and my bikes get worked on. Honestly I drove the shit out of this regal for the longest time, back to back to back 1.7 60fts at the track and the stock axles never complained, even with the mileage. Trans went at 160k, typical though as It has had a shit ton of track time. and it makes a lot of torque at very low RPM's which ate up the converter holding it at 8psi waiting for the green light. Always wanted a grand national, never wanted the problems. This thing has been faster for less, and didnt need a full restoration or need to be worked on every other weekend. Plus I only paid 4k for her.

613916980_pw74A-X3smalledited.jpg

IMG_1706bigcopysmall.jpg

forcalendersmall.jpg

IMG_0726small.jpg

Last edited:

m45

May 2, 2005
they're good cars.

Ive got the 3.8 Supercharged in my Holden. Its running a smaller pully on 10psi and is otherwise stock.

The car has over 160k miles on the clock and is on the original gearbox and is holding strong despite the power.

0wn3d_productivity

Aug 1, 2002
New Yawk
All I have to say is its makes one fun of a daily driver... its not always this loud but a little burnout action here: Its been quieted down a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo3HltVyCaA

Has about 200k miles now, runs like a champ, gets 30mpg, keeps up with todays best and its comfy and roomy as hell. And it doesnt ever break or give any issues so it can be relied on it while the Z and my bikes get worked on. Honestly I drove the shit out of this regal for the longest time, back to back to back 1.7 60fts at the track and the stock axles never complained, even with the mileage. Trans went at 160k, typical though as It has had a shit ton of track time. and it makes a lot of torque at very low RPM's which ate up the converter holding it at 8psi waiting for the green light. Always wanted a grand national, never wanted the problems. This thing has been faster for less, and didnt need a full restoration or need to be worked on every other weekend. Plus I only paid 4k for her.

613916980_pw74A-X3smalledited.jpg

IMG_1706bigcopysmall.jpg

forcalendersmall.jpg

IMG_0726small.jpg

I like the gran Sport badges- are they custom?

TriShield

Jul 6, 2001
Houston, TX
they're good cars.

Ive got the 3.8 Supercharged in my Holden. Its running a smaller pully on 10psi and is otherwise stock.

The car has over 160k miles on the clock and is on the original gearbox and is holding strong despite the power.

The old design engines are hard to kill, run forever

I had that engine without the supercharger and it went 330,000 original miles

0wn3d_productivity

Aug 1, 2002
New Yawk
considering a regal gs for a daily.. is intake, exhaust, intercooler, and a pully, really all that is needed for some pretty decent power?

I've had 2 GTP's and intake and pulley alone make a huge difference. But you should go the distance and at least get the computer flashed for the sake of longevity. Dyno tunes are best.

Intercooler is nice, but pricey- been resisting the call myself for a while now.

Get bigger injectors and an upgraded fuel pump to make sure you can feed the beast :cool:

I have the Borla on my current GTP and it's a little too loud for me- definitely a bit intrusive with all the windows down and drones on long trips. I'd look around at other exhausts- I think the SLP one is supposed to have a nice tone to it. I'd rather just have a stock one with the little u- bend thingy removed and an electric cutout before the mufflers for when I want more sound.

Loves me some 3800 s/c power :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor