TS
TS
shiyan

shiyan

grabbing titties in amusement parks
OT Supporter
Oct 22, 2003
Germany
Understood, but they are pushing the shit out of that engine. It probably has an 11ty to 1 compression ratio as well.

They've been using a 500+hp 4.0 (fitted with restrictors) in the 24H racecars for a while so perhaps they feel confident enough about getting it to last :dunno:

Dave

This is no motherfucking game
OT Supporter
Oct 7, 2003
no it looks 95% like every other 911 made in the past 30 years

it looks 99.8% like every other 911 made in the past 6 years

wtf do you mean, porsches have changed TONS since the 80s!

main.jpg

porsche_911_2007_photos_Coupe_Exterior_2007-Porsche-911-ext-1.jpg

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
I don't think it's been 100% confirmed yet, has it?

That order sheet that's been circulating was supposedly found to be fake (unless, I missed something over the last few days).

4 litres out of that engine is definitely possible, many aftermarket euro tuners do it (9ff included), but it has long been felt to be outside of the range of parameters that Porsche would do and still be limited by reliability and warranty targets for a production vehicle.

Apparently, the Piston speed is an issue with that displacement and I think there were some oiling and cooling issues that alarmed the manufacturer (even if the aftermarket weren't concerned).

With that said, Porsche faces marketing issues with the perception of having a comparatively small engine and this move to a 4 litre in advance of the next gen 911 also having a 4.0 (albeit in a new engine), this might be a way to generate some excitement for the new model.

Finally, this continual move upmarket with more and more special models of the 911 is crystal clear as a simple profit grab. They are making so much money off this car and these special models are simply frosting on the cake. If the crazed fans keep ponying up the cash, they will obviously keep slapping on more hp and more stickers. More power to them.

TS
TS
shiyan

shiyan

grabbing titties in amusement parks
OT Supporter
Oct 22, 2003
Germany

That order sheet that's been circulating was supposedly found to be fake (unless, I missed something over the last few days).

4 litres out of that engine is definitely possible, many aftermarket euro tuners do it (9ff included), but it has long been felt to be outside of the range of parameters that Porsche would do and still be limited by reliability and warranty targets for a production vehicle.

Apparently, the Piston speed is an issue with that displacement and I think there were some oiling and cooling issues that alarmed the manufacturer (even if the aftermarket weren't concerned).

With that said, Porsche faces marketing issues with the perception of having a comparatively small engine and this move to a 4 litre in advance of the next gen 911 also having a 4.0 (albeit in a new engine), this might be a way to generate some excitement for the new model.

Finally, this continual move upmarket with more and more special models of the 911 is crystal clear as a simple profit grab. They are making so much money off this car and these special models are simply frosting on the cake. If the crazed fans keep ponying up the cash, they will obviously keep slapping on more hp and more stickers. More power to them.

:bowdown:

indeed just rumours with regards to the specs but supposedly possible to order this car

MrBucket

Nov 27, 2004
Bergen County

The most ridiculous ones are the sport classic and the speedster, the cars are so expensive for seemingly nothing more than the standard models.

Chicane

Ad Hoc
OT Supporter
May 4, 2001
West Virginia
I still wonder if it's completely true, but I did check my email and on a list that I am on (mostly friends, vintage racing, instructors, etc.) there was an email this morning about this car.

The writer owns several significant Porsches and could be considered to be "in the know". He says he was contacted by a PCNA friend that confirmed the car was coming. The 4.0 litre was apparently approved for regular production just after Christmas.

The idea for the car doesn't come principally from the increased displacement, but getting that 4.0 number out into the vernacular in advance of the next gen car is definitely a good idea.

This car will basically be a GT2 RS copy in GT3 guise. (i.e high price, exclusivity and bespoke pieces) Carbon fiber hood and other pieces from the GT2 (and some of its own) and its own stripe packages and color options.

As I said earlier, it's a money grab for Porsche who will always find true Porsche nuts with disposable income to spend more money.

Typically, the sender said in the email that a friend of his that JUST purchased a blue Speedster (purportedly the exact one in the latest issue of Excellence) has just put down 20k deposit on this 4.0 car (though the dealer wouldn't confirm it even exists).

Gotta love Porsche fans with limitless funds.

**Edit and the email also said 485hp and not 500. A huge mental barrier to cross and maybe Porsche is withholding that one for the cars based on the next gen platform.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor