3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
how often are y'all replacing your nozzles?

it's been about a month and ive been through 3 nozzles on the S1 Pro, but my printers are running (nearly) 24/7 -- printing mostly PLA/PETG, with occasional silks/metallics, but nothing really abrasive. Just been replacing it when the prints start coming out shitty.

I have a couple 0.6 CHT and Ruby nozzles that i wanna try out, but i also wanna burn through this stockpile of cheaper nozzles I have

if it's worth it, ill probably get a diamondback at some point, so i dont have to keep replacing them :o -- anyone have experience with them?
I was replacing them every 100-300 hours or so, but I had a routine to rub them with a brass brush

Any hardened nozzle should last a lotttttt longer.

Reactions: Cicada

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
So my latest care related project is for a Buddy's 1950 Plymouth Suburban. He's an old ex Indy Racing coot and calls the project his rusto-mod. I'm doing his tail light lenses and he gave me license to do whatever I wanted. I told him I'll make em a pair of boobs and he said said he'd use em. :rofl:

So initially I'm just gonna go for function with a basic design and try hard to make the translucent PETG as clear as possible. Cranking up temps, turning off cooling fan, 100% infill, eleventy perimeters and the like. So far it looks pretty good. A pic doesn't do it justice.

99ZTe0sl.png

I'll let him use these while I figure out something more creative for later. ( NO DICKS @CPTMULLET :nono: )

I'll post pics once they're on the car.
infill all going the same direction?

I'm sure you've seen this:

i tried this out and have gotten okay results; definitely have to play with settings more -- this is with natural PLA:
Etsy_Wifi_DevBoard_Case_Ice_033.jpg

and PETG —

@ 45 degrees
Etsy_wifi_devboard_ice-PETG_073.jpg

at 90 degrees

F0_WiFi_DevBoard_Case_IcePETG_064.jpg

havent tried it going vertical (0 deg) yet, but it'd probably come out better going much slower at .15 or .1 layer heights

TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia

i tried this out and have gotten okay results; definitely have to play with settings more -- this is with natural PLA:
View attachment 294300

and PETG —

@ 45 degrees
View attachment 294302

at 90 degrees

View attachment 294303

havent tried it going vertical (0 deg) yet, but it'd probably come out better going much slower at .15 or .1 layer heights
I've seen that one and a few others on the subject. Good article but since it's a tail light I'm ok with a little opacity to diffuse the light. Too clear and I'll actually have to engineer the lens which I know zip about. Since this is his rusto-mod imma stick with my redneck refraction. Just need to come up with a shape that suits an old rod more than a Chevy Citation X-11. I'm printing a revision now and hopefully it is ok.

Reactions: Cicada
TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia

View attachment 294300

and PETG —

@ 45 degrees
View attachment 294302

at 90 degrees

View attachment 294303

I gotta know. You fucked with anyone with that yet?

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦

it's been about a month and ive been through 3 nozzles on the S1 Pro, but my printers are running (nearly) 24/7 -- printing mostly PLA/PETG, with occasional silks/metallics, but nothing really abrasive. Just been replacing it when the prints start coming out shitty.

I have a couple 0.6 CHT and Ruby nozzles that i wanna try out, but i also wanna burn through this stockpile of cheaper nozzles I have

if it's worth it, ill probably get a diamondback at some point, so i dont have to keep replacing them :o -- anyone have experience with them?

I only print PLA/PETG and I was rolling on 5 years on the original mk3s nozzle before I changed to the revo hotend. My prints were the same.

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
Welp I think I just channeled my inner 1980's Aries K car enthusiast... :o

Guess I should have paid less attention to the inside and more to the outside. And maybe not use my textured bed. I thought it would make for a nice look. Kinda poot.

Q6DA9SSl.png

Any suggestions other than "Don't be a fag"?

You worried about moisture at all?

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can

3 years :dunno:

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
WNY
ive never replaced the nozzle on my personal one

ones at work ive replaced once each when i did a full hotend replacement from the uber blob of death

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
I change the nozzle when I start running into issues.

It's an easy swap, and best case scenario it fixes it.

On the Mini I've changed the nozzle once when it had problems (and it was fixed (from either the nozzle swap or the re-calibration) and once when I upgraded to the Revo Micro.

TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
You worried about moisture at all?
I wasn't before your comment. I mean.. It won't be any less waterproof than the original and he keeps it in his giant garage. Not to mention our group scampers back to our garages at the sight of clouds. Am I missing something?

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I gotta know. You fucked with anyone with that yet?
tbh i mostly got it to clone some of my keyfobs for work - the keycards we use to access most campus buildings are too secure, so i've only been able to clone the less secure RFID fobs that (oddly enough) control access to rooms/areas which should have more secure access control systems.

other than that, i havent really used it :rofl:

Reactions: FritoBandito

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego

Just buy a hardened nozzle and if you are printing pla/petg you'll never replace it again

TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
tbh i mostly got it to clone some of my keyfobs for work - the keycards we use to access most campus buildings are too secure, so i've only been able to clone the less secure RFID fobs that (oddly enough) control access to rooms/areas which should have more secure access control systems.

other than that, i havent really used it :rofl:
I'm enough of a juvenile delinquent that I'd just walk through the mall turning off all the shop TVs. Wait... malls still exist?

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
I wasn't before your comment. I mean.. It won't be any less waterproof than the original and he keeps it in his giant garage. Not to mention our group scampers back to our garages at the sight of clouds. Am I missing something?

Just that moisture will be able to freely travel in and out through the lens since the part isn't watertight

Reactions: FritoBandito

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6