3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

MastaCow

I love cup.
Nov 11, 2001
Glendale, CA
Kinda the opposite of a 3d printer, but I'm debating buying a small CNC router like this
I've seen them able to mill aluminum if you go slow and have a shallow depth of cut. I've been trying to 3d print molds for a while and I just can't get them to work. It would be nice to mill some aluminum molds for forged carbon fiber or injection molded plastic. It would also be nice to cut fiberglass or carbon fiber sheets.
Cutting CF is something you should avoid unless you're willing to suit up every time you handle that shit.

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego
So here are some shots of my nightlight design. Lenses and bases can easily be customized for the customer ; can also inverse the lens with a clear base layer with black on top to cut down light as well. Top screws down to the tube to hold the lens. Uses a 3in LED color changing Puck Light with remote though I might switch to a usb powered unit and add a port in the back.. Used 2x M4x8 with nuts to assemble. All parts designed to print without supports needed. Now it's up to my wife to figure out if there is a local market for them

wOglKn6l.png

boAdts9l.jpg

mcfDvfGl.jpg

PnbVDvZl.jpg

Cb5dJicl.jpg

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Exactly - I'm planning on spending some time trying to crunch numbers to see if I can figure out a lens and focus distance to actually turn it into a projector, but that's quite a bit more complex.
I feel like that’d be difficult to print. In photographic lighting, zoomspots that either use a camera lens or a lens array that’s built into the modifier that can accommodate gobos are really expensive.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
I ordered a mk3s bear clone kit (full 3030 frame, no stamped steel, solid lower extrusions) :o

I was gonna buy a used mk3s but it sold out from under me and I just want something that works without fussing until the PrusaXL becomes real :o

Reactions: Cicada

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
I'm tired boss
so uhh any tips of getting TPU to release off a build plate?
first print was au-naturale and lmaowtf. Trying a little babby powder right now, on a much more complicated piece :noes:

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
I ordered a mk3s bear clone kit (full 3030 frame, no stamped steel, solid lower extrusions) :o

I was gonna buy a used mk3s but it sold out from under me and I just want something that works without fussing until the PrusaXL becomes real :o
There’s an mk3s+ with an enclosure, pi running octoprint and other upgrades for sale near me for $700

Dunno if that’s a good deal (?) Seems like it, since there’s a lot unloading their other printers for cheap with the Bambu’s being the new hotness.

It was $800 just yesterday when it first posted so maybe he’s desperate to sell and I can super lowball him 🤣

1673889900475.png

Reactions: TheRider

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
There’s an mk3s+ with an enclosure, pi running octoprint and other upgrades for sale near me for $700

Dunno if that’s a good deal (?) Seems like it, since there’s a lot unloading their other printers for cheap with the Bambu’s being the new hotness.

It was $800 just yesterday when it first posted so maybe he’s desperate to sell and I can super lowball him 🤣

View attachment 295725
that octodash thing is kinda sick

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Finished printing Bordeaux the Octopus from Cults3d for my wife, somehow I think I'm going to get suckered into printing a bunch of these though. Was a long print - but doesn't require any supports. Nightlight design is complete as well now I'll get around to posting pictures of it later though.

UhT8aQ0l.jpg

LZdUoB0l.jpg

s8PXqBsl.jpg

QQtT2jxl.jpg
Link?

Would be perfect for the "vacation house" we are buying.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Link?

Would be perfect for the "vacation house" we are buying.
I accidentally got myself on the hook for making one in rainbow pla :mamoru:

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston

View attachment 295725
Seems like a pretty legit price. Don't know if I'd go with it over the X1C tho (purely based on reviews)

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
ooooh interesting, what happens when you power off?
Steppers will snap to the nearest full step. And I swear to hell every time each stepper snapped different directions. What I did was have it ram the gantry to the top of the z-axis before every print.
Also I think you can set hold current in klipper fwiw
You can set hold current. But that is just when the axis is idle during print. No way to have it always have the z axis engaged.

Also sensorless homing on klipper is garbage compared to stock FW. Prusa has that shit dialed in af. Most people running Klipper on the MK3S discord added X/Y endstops.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Steppers will snap to the nearest full step. And I swear to hell every time each stepper snapped different directions. What I did was have it ram the gantry to the top of the z-axis before every print.

You can set hold current. But that is just when the axis is idle during print. No way to have it always have the z axis engaged.

Also sensorless homing on klipper is garbage compared to stock FW. Prusa has that shit dialed in af. Most people running Klipper on the MK3S discord added X/Y endstops.
Interesting, thanks for saving me hours :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6