3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Problem is the printer is just darn stable and near bulletproof - can print almost anything on it and not worry.
Sure, but there's a ton of modern features to be desired, even if they kept print features exactly the same having a MCU strong enough to run a little web server would be a huge QOL upgrade

Reactions: Cicada

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I accidentally got myself on the hook for making one in rainbow pla :mamoru:

Which infill % did you use? Just started this with 20%. Will update in like 3.5 days how it goes :rofl:

Love that I can just power on my ender and get a perfect first layer after not touching it for months.

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego
Which infill % did you use? Just started this with 20%. Will update in like 3.5 days how it goes :rofl:

Love that I can just power on my ender and get a perfect first layer after not touching it for months.

I just did 3 walls and 10% - more than plenty was about 450 grams. Next one I might do 4 walls and 3% lightning. Doesn't need weight since bottle angle puts it against base of octopus, won't tip.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
I just did 3 walls and 10% - more than plenty was about 450 grams. Next one I might do 4 walls and 3% lightning. Doesn't need weight since bottle angle puts it against base of octopus, won't tip.

Just cancelled my print (wasn't finished with first layer) to switch to 10%. Was going to be something like 550g. Now it's 414.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
It sucked before I got the divider that went missing before I bought it. Now I really like it because it fits a nalgene perfectly.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Seems like a pretty legit price. Don't know if I'd go with it over the X1C tho
I have a x1c coming in tomorrow but feel like I should get a prusa just because 🤣 — the “regular” X1 is 1000, and the C is 1200(?); combo with AMS is 1500 - so twice the price

But at 700 brand new, the P1P seems like the way to go for anyone looking sub-$1000. Although my v400 has actually been really nice

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
I have a x1c coming in tomorrow but feel like I should get a prusa just because 🤣 — the “regular” X1 is 1000, and the C is 1200(?); combo with AMS is 1500 - so twice the price

But at 700 brand new, the P1P seems like the way to go for anyone looking sub-$1000. Although my v400 has actually been really nice
Bambu still has to earn some respect in terms of reliability. I really don't understand their thermistor runaway tuning as well

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Bambu still has to earn some respect in terms of reliability. I really don't understand their thermistor runaway tuning as well
3 minutes seems ridiculous. Their explanation was very…PR, but at least they had one and the explanation was fair, even if the reasoning wasn’t optimally. Hopefully they address it.

Most of the Bambu community seems more like a lot of new people that haven’t done research and are finally getting into it because of the ease of use and performance only seen before by custom builds (granted, I’m still new to all of this too), or experienced people giving it a try; a lot of the questions/problems seem like people trying to go 100% all the time just cuz it can, the AMS system (which I don’t really plan to use much), complaining about availability/shipping outside of the US, or support taking a while. Maybe not a great sign there are already issues, but it could be user induced/user error.

I think they’ll be a victim of their own success and a lot of problems are going to be amplified by the amount of product they have out there; the machine has some lofty ambitions and new tech, lots of hype, and the supply chain issues aren’t helping when people need replacements or support.

If they can sort all of this out and make it through these growing pains, they really will be like the “iPhone” of 3D printers and the rest of the pack (at the consumer and prosumer level) is going to be playing catch up. At the very least, it’ll force innovation into a space that’s been an endless sea of Prusa/Ender 3 clones for years.

I think I’ll order an XL when they’re out, though. Tool changer seems awesome.

Last edited:

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
3 minutes seems ridiculous. Their explanation was very…PR, but at least they had one and the explanation was fair, even if the reasoning wasn’t optimally. Hopefully they address it.

Most of the Bambu community seems more like a lot of new people that haven’t done research and are finally getting into it because of the ease of use and performance only seen before by custom builds (granted, I’m still new to all of this too), or experienced people giving it a try; a lot of the questions/problems seem like people trying to go 100% all the time just cuz it can, the AMS system (which I don’t really plan to use much), complaining about availability/shipping outside of the US, or support taking a while. Maybe not a great sign there are already issues, but it could be user induced/user error.

I think they’ll be a victim of their own success and a lot of problems are going to be amplified by the amount of product they have out there; the machine has some lofty ambitions and new tech, lots of hype, and the supply chain issues aren’t helping when people need replacements or support.

If they can sort all of this out and make it through these growing pains, they really will be like the “iPhone” of 3D printers and the rest of the pack (at the consumer and prosumer level) is going to be playing catch up. At the very least, it’ll force innovation into a space that’s been an endless sea of Prusa/Ender 3 clones for years.

I think I’ll order an XL when they’re out, though. Tool changer seems awesome.

I feel like the XL is gonna be a beast. Prusa knows they have to come out strong to match the expectations of MK3S users and they have the experience, company and team to put out a killer printer. I'm excited to see what it turns out to be.

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
I just wish they let us pay for the full price up front. We want like 2-3 of them, but because we can't do the partial pre-order I won't see it for a long time :(

No problem with them not shipping for years... I ordered a waterjet last year that I may not see this year.

Edit: oh shit they let us do full pre-orders now.
Edit2: nvm, it's just a $200 deposit still. I even emailed the company when it first came out asking if we could pay full amount they said no.

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
Prototyping my air quality sensor. I stuck it in my 3d printer enclosure and I'm going to do a print while datalogging the values. Be interesting to see what the air in the enclosure does.

Recording:
  • co2 level
  • temperature
  • humidity
  • pressure
  • indoor air quality (bosch sensor that returns values that align to the chart below. Factors in VOC levels it detects)
  • amount of PM2.5 (< 2.5 micron) particles in the air
  • amount of PM10 (< 10 microns) particles in the air

1673965288563.png

1673965069118.png

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy