3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
so -- is this a good idea?

it sits on a ledge that's part of the home, so i don't really want it to resonate throughout the house

rubber, paver, foam, paver, printer:
View attachment 296038

cuz it wobbles like crazy if you go balls out :o -- around 2:30-3:00 when it starts printing -- under a normal print/normal print speed though, it seems stable.

I have the other printers setup like this on a coffee table in the loft, and it helped with noise, but they're not as violent as this one

View attachment 296114

damn! The racket and the shaking :rofl:

I'd put rubber beneath it and two cinder blocks on top :rofl:

• Haha
Reactions: Cicada

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
i have an ifixit mako and a wowstick that both came with a case :dunno:
I was so disappointed with the wowstick.

My fav was the Xiaomi Mi, but I lost the actual handle and I have too much pride to buy another one... I'm certain I'll find it eventually. It's only been missing for about 3.5 years.

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego

My fav was the Xiaomi Mi, but I lost the actual handle and I have too much pride to buy another one... I'm certain I'll find it eventually. It's only been missing for about 3.5 years.
Wowstick is great other than they used plastic for the mount, if that was metal I'd be happy with it, but without it, just slips away. I did order this one and am just waiting for it now

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city

I have an older version of this:

Absolutely love it, just the right amount of torque for 3d printer stuff (per reviews it's a good bit more than a wowstick). However, it was like $60-70 on aliexpress and I wouldn't pay $120 for it.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Anyone have a LTT screwdriver case?

Or am i going to have to make my own :(
I saw this one on reddit:

I need to make one now that I have more bits for it than the handle holds :hmm:

edit: the reddit reviews are turbo meh, the search continues

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Hmm someone modeled the screwdriver

and another case where you can't store it with a bit in the tip :wtf:
Isn't horrible, but really don't need the bits to be removable like that. I'll probably go down that path.

My LTT hasn't arrived yet. It "shipped" 12 days ago, just looked it up and UPS just received it yesterday.

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
just looked at his order page... he actually as some numbers up there... 147,000 sold........ he's gonna make like $10,000,000 off these things haha

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
dude is making a MINT selling these screwdrivers for $70. He's probably pocketing $50 on each one :bowdown:
Agreed.

I shouldn't have bought it, but oh well. The regular "megapro" it is based off is pretty damn nice. Far better than my older ratcheting ones (kobalt & snapon).

TS
TS
FritoBandito

FritoBandito

Gol Meember
OT Supporter
Dec 1, 2003
Kalifornia
I have a love hate with electric screwdrivers. They're great for disassembling something with a crap ton of screws but I would never use them for installing/tightening screws. For that I am way more comfortable with the more precise control and feel of a good manual driver. Not to mention the typical stubby shank most electric drivers come with is annoying.

All this of course only applies to small mechanical assemblies. Wood shit I'll use a screw gun all day long.

Reactions: CPTMULLET

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
I have a love hate with electric screwdrivers. They're great for disassembling something with a crap ton of screws but I would never use them for installing/tightening screws. For that I am way more comfortable with the more precise control and feel of a good manual driver. Not to mention the typical stubby shank most electric drivers come with is annoying.

All this of course only applies to small mechanical assemblies. Wood shit I'll use a screw gun all day long.
I use my impact all time disassembly and sometimes with assembly of small stuff. I keep it on the lowest setting and start by hand and finish by hand.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
I built my V2 with primarily just ball end allen keys, I've since bought a couple different styles of allen drivers and the es15. I run screws down with it and do final tightening with a regular screwdriver style driver.

But for context, the X axis has something like 30 fasteners just for rail + attaching the carriage + backers. Shit adds up :o

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
Isn't horrible, but really don't need the bits to be removable like that. I'll probably go down that path.

My LTT hasn't arrived yet. It "shipped" 12 days ago, just looked it up and UPS just received it yesterday.
:hmm:

I got my shipping confirmation email on Sunday but the waybill shows no movement yet.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
do it and rank em
It depends on application, for PC/tinkering stuff the LTT screwdriver is #1 hands down. The effort they put into the backdrag tuning is super awesome. The spinning top is something I really like, I spent 2 years using Wiha precision drivers all day erry day so I'm super used to that being a thing. The bit storage is nice, but it doesn't make or break it for me.

For working on my car where there's some rusty ass screws and grease/oil to contend with and in general coarse threads I much prefer the snap on handles and the ratchet is more than good enough.

Wera makes my favorite handle in general, but they don't take well to chemical exposure at all, mine has accidentally gotten brake cleaned on the bench a couple times and it shows (in person anyhow)

The 'gotcha' for Wera/Gearwrench/Sata (same driver)/some other ones I've destroyed or dunno where they are is the ratchet select mechanism goes the opposite way as what the setting does (EG turn left means fastener goes right). Is that a big deal? no. Will I absolutely not pay a premium for something that does that at this point in time? yes

I really like the snap on/etc 1/4" socket system so you can use all sorts of weird tips with them, but that does introduce some slop.

The kobalt ones are really neat for banging in screws fast, but the tolerances are comically bad.

These are the ones between my office/toolbox :o

x1Jr79JgTYvdBBSqGbVFlNvX0eKyCO8WnTsXxGzye1BNHT8Hrejfn5O9DaCOwZLzHqseokGjFHz3HMDmmveCsX8c9EisQ5kl0Pgq40DvT_imAqGuXSDP7uH6ACpKKZAwXTtyZKz57owyn_1sAADK58xahjVj3xeMKACYqygATe6m3-KeJI0m_kAvs2KvpovQyuf2npWbA0ZFb_KFom6Z1V5emhd9Y8Wpi_-4npJ_93EoGnPNCI_hui6MJnOb9dqwNAlKBmQQFl4QSRU5fnyVzWQLUOMR74XTWLjSqe9QZSjOGDJPy92ixdQ_-cd6xq2suNkWxNLH8VmSisAT6M-dUPWPhBurcXrhb1cyo0SnJLWunSoQso0GEdMBn5YhO24oUOYe-uxREglUFD_WbSC3r89dqjsB4nJu9ibnbHv2rGVM3SMnZaOCTUMBXBsOEWFnNMJKmwCViUp5KAu0pXCmEOsXO7mwoOZas9x5vq7wr2qO-lQq5eYYQLkt9_vOGmoXWlnlev60QeKa4NqI27ihCfFLXjMJa3KImproQAz7OOghkNT9wa1D1PF13gEg4PV_FOBBbB86nyx9SNl2li9t4aN3EvOYkTodwYUjocSzEGn9o4zIH6oyZr1y2Yj7OUn4qHsKls1WZjnXSvmIUZglJeH8SOFu-gpx80BUGPJLB6audPrvrsyJUmbS-3SWebvQDPRfolRXUd-i56tA0sS7ipu8NGaJ_v-5vr4lgggnycgkr1yt2SED-b42VuLuvXdWmTy_ofjpumJQELPFXyGt_JCWTHlJehmejJjq4Tkeqf3Exp6i56PfgwfnS9jMmEUaWMHopzKtyM_iFBtuOaFlTM7KV8-M9SZY97ETAdfT-pR0xxHzHQFQINDYNy23wOv25Q3EGQHBqTmjZtW-ceBcqZIOTmUtI26dZCf5czaPxtxXhQFwDA=w696-h927-no

MastaCow

I love cup.
Nov 11, 2001
Glendale, CA
I built my V2 with primarily just ball end allen keys, I've since bought a couple different styles of allen drivers and the es15. I run screws down with it and do final tightening with a regular screwdriver style driver.

But for context, the X axis has something like 30 fasteners just for rail + attaching the carriage + backers. Shit adds up :o
I'm curious how many of my current MIP hex drivers from my RC toolbox will be useful for the build.

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
It depends on application, for PC/tinkering stuff the LTT screwdriver is #1 hands down. The effort they put into the backdrag tuning is super awesome. The spinning top is something I really like, I spent 2 years using Wiha precision drivers all day erry day so I'm super used to that being a thing. The bit storage is nice, but it doesn't make or break it for me.

For working on my car where there's some rusty ass screws and grease/oil to contend with and in general coarse threads I much prefer the snap on handles and the ratchet is more than good enough.

Wera makes my favorite handle in general, but they don't take well to chemical exposure at all, mine has accidentally gotten brake cleaned on the bench a couple times and it shows (in person anyhow)

The 'gotcha' for Wera/Gearwrench/Sata (same driver)/some other ones I've destroyed or dunno where they are is the ratchet select mechanism goes the opposite way as what the setting does (EG turn left means fastener goes right). Is that a big deal? no. Will I absolutely not pay a premium for something that does that at this point in time? yes

I really like the snap on/etc 1/4" socket system so you can use all sorts of weird tips with them, but that does introduce some slop.

The kobalt ones are really neat for banging in screws fast, but the tolerances are comically bad.

These are the ones between my office/toolbox :o

x1Jr79JgTYvdBBSqGbVFlNvX0eKyCO8WnTsXxGzye1BNHT8Hrejfn5O9DaCOwZLzHqseokGjFHz3HMDmmveCsX8c9EisQ5kl0Pgq40DvT_imAqGuXSDP7uH6ACpKKZAwXTtyZKz57owyn_1sAADK58xahjVj3xeMKACYqygATe6m3-KeJI0m_kAvs2KvpovQyuf2npWbA0ZFb_KFom6Z1V5emhd9Y8Wpi_-4npJ_93EoGnPNCI_hui6MJnOb9dqwNAlKBmQQFl4QSRU5fnyVzWQLUOMR74XTWLjSqe9QZSjOGDJPy92ixdQ_-cd6xq2suNkWxNLH8VmSisAT6M-dUPWPhBurcXrhb1cyo0SnJLWunSoQso0GEdMBn5YhO24oUOYe-uxREglUFD_WbSC3r89dqjsB4nJu9ibnbHv2rGVM3SMnZaOCTUMBXBsOEWFnNMJKmwCViUp5KAu0pXCmEOsXO7mwoOZas9x5vq7wr2qO-lQq5eYYQLkt9_vOGmoXWlnlev60QeKa4NqI27ihCfFLXjMJa3KImproQAz7OOghkNT9wa1D1PF13gEg4PV_FOBBbB86nyx9SNl2li9t4aN3EvOYkTodwYUjocSzEGn9o4zIH6oyZr1y2Yj7OUn4qHsKls1WZjnXSvmIUZglJeH8SOFu-gpx80BUGPJLB6audPrvrsyJUmbS-3SWebvQDPRfolRXUd-i56tA0sS7ipu8NGaJ_v-5vr4lgggnycgkr1yt2SED-b42VuLuvXdWmTy_ofjpumJQELPFXyGt_JCWTHlJehmejJjq4Tkeqf3Exp6i56PfgwfnS9jMmEUaWMHopzKtyM_iFBtuOaFlTM7KV8-M9SZY97ETAdfT-pR0xxHzHQFQINDYNy23wOv25Q3EGQHBqTmjZtW-ceBcqZIOTmUtI26dZCf5czaPxtxXhQFwDA=w696-h927-no
I have the kobalt and the bottom army green snap on one.
The kobalt one is trash. It just slips all the time, the feature is cool (where you grab the ring and it goes faster) but most of the time it messes up. It's in the "boats toolbag" where I don't want to have to use it, but it'll work if necessary.
The army green snap on is / has been my goto for 20 years now. I just had to pull it apart this past fall when I ordered the LTT and cleaned up the ratcheting on it. It's a shit ton better but not good by any means. It'll stay in the toolbox.
The Megapro is shit tons better than both, but really interested to see how it compares to the LTT.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6