3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego
that's awesome :omg:

I've been wanting to laser cut/engrave something like this on my laser which is easy enough to do with illustrator and google maps or ArcGIS, but a 3D version would be cool too; what sort of software would you use to generate the model?

View attachment 296238
https://www.instructables.com/3D-Printable-City-Maps/ gives some data and there are a few websites that help with it do if you google for city to stl. But i know NOLA is one the same guy I use has already done https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/arc...-landmark-model-of-new-orleans-skyline-3d-art

Reactions: Cicada

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
I know this is a bit of a dumb question but what is the best way to go about switching filaments? I have been snipping at the extruder inlet and then starting a print and let if go until it starts showing the next filament color.:dunno:

Is there a better way?

lowfat

The Dragon Reborn
OT Supporter
Oct 27, 2003
Grande Prairie, AB, Can
I know this is a bit of a dumb question but what is the best way to go about switching filaments? I have been snipping at the extruder inlet and then starting a print and let if go until it starts showing the next filament color.:dunno:

Is there a better way?
No eject filament option on the printer? If not I just yank it out when its warm'ish. Then just force new filament through when hotend is hot but motors are not engaged.

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
No eject filament option on the printer? If not I just yank it out when its warm'ish. Then just force new filament through when hotend is hot but motors are not engaged.
gotcha, I don't think I've seen anything about ejecting filament but I'll see what I can find. Appreciate it

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
Is remote control/live video of printing even useful? I don't get why it would be helpful other than being able to cancel a print if something went wrong and you aren't at home.
I mean, it could be cool to be able to start a print without have to touch the printer but that would only work one at a time since there would be no way to get it off the build platter. I feel like I'm missing something...

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Is remote control/live video of printing even useful? I don't get why it would be helpful other than being able to cancel a print if something went wrong and you aren't at home.
I mean, it could be cool to be able to start a print without have to touch the printer but that would only work one at a time since there would be no way to get it off the build platter. I feel like I'm missing something...
Saves fumbling with thumb drives and SD cards. If your printer and desk are in different places it can add up, also allows you to do things like pre heat before you send a print, etc.
Necessary? No
Really nice? Yes
Also allows you to have metrics on failed prints, filament used, etc.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
okay, so if i print in anything faster than "standard" (200mm/s, 10k accel), the printer wobbles way too much and can cause issues on the second layer when it cranks up the speed, but it can get one of my usual prints out with acceptable quality in ≈13 minutes :omg:

took the foam off, set it just on the rubber and the pavers — still wobbly…a little less so, but it's actually quieter than it was with the foam in between them.

Guess I should try it without the rubber next

:naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: CPTMULLET

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
That’s usually what I use it for. Or timeplases that I’ve honestly never watched because I don’t print any big models :o

I’ve also used remote access/monitoring if the printer is sitting idle and if I’m away from home, I can slice something up and start a print and monitor it from wherever.

I use the moonraker plugin in Cura (there’s also a “Mobileraker” app, below) to be able to send prints remotely when I’m at home, because the printers are on the other side of the room and I’m too lazy to load it on a USB stick or card and walk over there.

1674112675055.png

Managing the printer through the web interface is super useful, imo; you can adjust most of the settings like temps, fans, speed/accel, extrusion, microadjust z-offset, adjust/edit your gcode, start a print, etc. — I only ever have to touch the printer to load filament or pop the print off

1674112889631.png

Reactions: TheGreat8

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
there's rubber under the first paver before the actual surface, but i don't know if that'd do enough by itself to reduce noise without the foam to decouple it

it doesn't do that at all really, unless i'm trying to print their balls-to-the-wall benchy, which came out pretty good in spite of it shaking like that. Some small artifacts in some places, but it just may be due to the fuckin shaking

also, first impressions notes i've taken:
  • it's a bit more plastic-ey than I thought it'd be -- some of the fascia is plastic, the base is plastic, and lots of other parts; doesnt take anything away from it though — still a solid unit, and doesnt really feel "cheap".
View attachment 296207
  • The touch screen is responsive enough but there does feel like there's a bit of lag. Could also be a bit bigger, but the UI is designed well so it;'s not a nightmare to use.
View attachment 296208
  • The automatic calibration (flow calibration, first layer scan, etc) before every print is nice and has so far led to great results, but it takes a lot of time; this adds about 5-7 mins before every print if those options are on -- doesn't seem to be necessary on every print, especially if you're just churning out parts.

• Cool plate is ass; it actually sticks really well, but you do need to use glue stick.
    • I accidentally set it to a normal 60c hotbed temp and i fucked up the sticker because the print stuck too well and i had to scrape the shit out of it.
    • glad I got the PEI plates (smooth and textured) -- also have a PEX plate on the way. Newer ones should just ship with the "High Temp" PEI plate like the P1P does.
  • The chamber light is pretty crap; a lot have added LED strips between the AMS and top lid for more light inside.

• it's fast, but not thatmuch faster than the v400 for my usual prints
    • that actually may be a lie -- the S1 Pro will print a case in 55 mins, v400 @ 40-45 mins, X1c will do it in ≈30 mins and a better end result

• The delivered profiles seem pretty damn good accuracy-wise; i usually have to dial in a tiny bit of horizontal comp for holes and contours in Cura on my other printers for those cases; i still ahve to dial some in here, but much less.
    • Bambu Studio seems cool; multicolor seems to be easy to do/setup, and the layout is much more usable than Cura (which i'm used to, but not really "used to")
    • The fucking phone app is called “Bambu Handy” lmao
    • Cloud printing and remote viewing natively in the slicer is nice.
      • Could be a security concern (?) — i have to VPN in to my home network to remotely monitor/control my other printers.
View attachment 296209
View attachment 296210
  • I haven't played with it yet, but AMS is cool even for single-color prints — just having 4 spools loaded up and ready to go without having to switch anything out or having to unload/load the extruder is nice.
    • Apparently You can print a Y-adapter and have both the AMS and external spool feed in depending on the settings; so technically you can have 5 ready to go (but can't use both AMS and a "regular" spool at the same time, i think?)

When i get more hours in with it, i'll try to add more :shrug:

Good review so far! Thanks for the bamboo handy. Keep us in the loop on your thoughts

• Haha

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
Yet another basic question for you guys that I don't know the terms to be able to search for:doh:

I'm making my dad what is basically a cup on his desk for pens and junk.

What do I change to make the wall of the cup thicker? I printed one last night that got fucked up somehow, but I was able to tell that the wall is super thin. I have the standard .4mm nozzle so I'm not sure if that limits me somehow in that area. :oa

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Yet another basic question for you guys that I don't know the terms to be able to search for:doh:

I'm making my dad what is basically a cup on his desk for pens and junk.

What do I change to make the wall of the cup thicker? I printed one last night that got fucked up somehow, but I was able to tell that the wall is super thin. I have the standard .4mm nozzle so I'm not sure if that limits me somehow in that area. :oa
post the model you used and a picture of the cup

MastaCow

I love cup.
Nov 11, 2001
Glendale, CA
there's rubber under the first paver before the actual surface, but i don't know if that'd do enough by itself to reduce noise without the foam to decouple it

it doesn't do that at all really, unless i'm trying to print their balls-to-the-wall benchy, which came out pretty good in spite of it shaking like that. Some small artifacts in some places, but it just may be due to the fuckin shaking

also, first impressions notes i've taken:
  • it's a bit more plastic-ey than I thought it'd be -- some of the fascia is plastic, the base is plastic, and lots of other parts; doesnt take anything away from it though — still a solid unit, and doesnt really feel "cheap".
View attachment 296207
  • The touch screen is responsive enough but there does feel like there's a bit of lag. Could also be a bit bigger, but the UI is designed well so it;'s not a nightmare to use.
View attachment 296208
  • The automatic calibration (flow calibration, first layer scan, etc) before every print is nice and has so far led to great results, but it takes a lot of time; this adds about 5-7 mins before every print if those options are on -- doesn't seem to be necessary on every print, especially if you're just churning out parts.

• Cool plate is ass; it actually sticks really well, but you do need to use glue stick.
    • I accidentally set it to a normal 60c hotbed temp and i fucked up the sticker because the print stuck too well and i had to scrape the shit out of it.
    • glad I got the PEI plates (smooth and textured) -- also have a PEX plate on the way. Newer ones should just ship with the "High Temp" PEI plate like the P1P does.
  • The chamber light is pretty crap; a lot have added LED strips between the AMS and top lid for more light inside.

• it's fast, but not thatmuch faster than the v400 for my usual prints
    • that actually may be a lie -- the S1 Pro will print a case in 55 mins, v400 @ 40-45 mins, X1c will do it in ≈30 mins and a better end result

• The delivered profiles seem pretty damn good accuracy-wise; i usually have to dial in a tiny bit of horizontal comp for holes and contours in Cura on my other printers for those cases; i still ahve to dial some in here, but much less.
    • Bambu Studio seems cool; multicolor seems to be easy to do/setup, and the layout is much more usable than Cura (which i'm used to, but not really "used to")
    • The fucking phone app is called “Bambu Handy” lmao
    • Cloud printing and remote viewing natively in the slicer is nice.
      • Could be a security concern (?) — i have to VPN in to my home network to remotely monitor/control my other printers.
View attachment 296209
View attachment 296210
  • I haven't played with it yet, but AMS is cool even for single-color prints — just having 4 spools loaded up and ready to go without having to switch anything out or having to unload/load the extruder is nice.
    • Apparently You can print a Y-adapter and have both the AMS and external spool feed in depending on the settings; so technically you can have 5 ready to go (but can't use both AMS and a "regular" spool at the same time, i think?)

When i get more hours in with it, i'll try to add more :shrug:

Seems like the foam is giving you more springiness than needed to dampen the vibrations and is adding to the overall shaking. Perhaps a sheet of sorbothane or like a Dynamat-type material on top of a paver?
But yeah-the reported overall noise from the X1C is what made me rule that out. Heard a lot of ppl having neighbors complain about the sounds.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Seems like the foam is giving you more springiness than needed to dampen the vibrations and is adding to the overall shaking. Perhaps a sheet of sorbothane or like a Dynamat-type material on top of a paver?
But yeah-the reported overall noise from the X1C is what made me rule that out. Heard a lot of ppl having neighbors complain about the sounds.
any printer at 10k+ accels is going to be noisy AF, fwiw

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Here's the model, the one I printed last night was already picked up by the garbage so I don't have it to show.

The moon cup is basically paper thin when I print
oh it's a paid STL, check perimeter settings

if you look at the sliced preview you can look at the cup like halfway through and see how thicc it is

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6