3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

Aug 20, 2002
Had my X1C for a few days now, I've only printed some accessories/tools for the printer (12 sessions ... each spool ring takes up a whole plate). Everything has been pretty much plug and play. I have used some non-Bambu filament and just searched for what other users were saying on the discord and implemented those settings. That has worked well. I haven't done a multicolor print yet though, just been using AMS for different filaments.

It does wobble a bit when there is a lot of accel. I have a paver and foam I'm going to try, to see if that makes it better or worse. The prints are coming out nicely even with the machine moving around, I'm sure it could improve but no complaints for functional stuff.

As far as noise ... its not silent, but it isn't incredibly loud either. It is in my basement and I can't hear it when I am directly above it on the 1st floor.

Overall, it got me excited again about actually printing. I don't have enough free time to constantly tinker and tweak a machine just to get a consistent print.

Aug 20, 2002
Prototyping my air quality sensor. I stuck it in my 3d printer enclosure and I'm going to do a print while datalogging the values. Be interesting to see what the air in the enclosure does.

Recording:
  • co2 level
  • temperature
  • humidity
  • pressure
  • indoor air quality (bosch sensor that returns values that align to the chart below. Factors in VOC levels it detects)
  • amount of PM2.5 (< 2.5 micron) particles in the air
  • amount of PM10 (< 10 microns) particles in the air

View attachment 295915

View attachment 295914
any deets on the sensors you're using?

RE the high levels when cleaning, I'd guess that a good amount of that is just the alcohol evaporating in the air ... although it could be carrying nasty bits with it

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
any deets on the sensors you're using?

RE the high levels when cleaning, I'd guess that a good amount of that is just the alcohol evaporating in the air ... although it could be carrying nasty bits with it

I know alcohol is one of the VOCs that these sensor detect so I wasn't surprised to see that spike. The sensors I'm using so far:

SDS011 for particle detection
Nova-PM-sensor-SDS011-High-precision-laser-pm2-5-air-quality-detection-sensor-module-Super-dust.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

SCD30 for CO2 detection
SCD30_t.jpg

and BME-280 for the index for air quality values.
61aZJmCCgoL._SL1001_.jpg

I have these but haven't gotten a chance to wire them up yet:

SGP30 gas sensor:
adafruit_products_pinouts.jpg

MQ-135 gas sensor
MQ-135-Gas-Sensor-3.jpg

ENS160 CO2 Sensor
ENS160-AHT21-carbon-dioxide-CO2-eco2-TVOC-air-quality-and-temperature-and-humidity-sensor.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
Check out the co2 levels in my home office today. You can see where I left this morning for a bit and at lunch :o

1674156306104.png

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
I'm tired boss
Is remote control/live video of printing even useful? I don't get why it would be helpful other than being able to cancel a print if something went wrong and you aren't at home.
I mean, it could be cool to be able to start a print without have to touch the printer but that would only work one at a time since there would be no way to get it off the build platter. I feel like I'm missing something...
Printer is in the corner in the basement.
Whenever I'm done with a print, I remove it and clean / prep the build plate. So, unless I need to change filament, I'm ready to start the next print whenever.
I have a few Rasp Pi sitting around from over the years, so it's silly to not use one for remote management, plus a wifi outlet, so workflow looks like this:

From my desk, model / slice something, send command to power up printer power strip, send gcode to printer and start printing. Obico / Spaghetti Detective will let me know if it spots a failure developing, or if I run out of filament or hit a pause for color change or something, and otherwise will alert me when the prints done. I don't have to tend to the printer at all until the prints done.
There are other little benefits too, but thats the bulk of it for me.

Reactions: ObeyTheNoodle

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
When printing something like this...

How do I know if I need supports or what would I need to change? I'm completely guessing but it looks more difficult to print than anything I've done. I'm not even sure if my Ender 3 could do this sort of thing:dunno:

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
When printing something like this...

How do I know if I need supports or what would I need to change? I'm completely guessing but it looks more difficult to print than anything I've done. I'm not even sure if my Ender 3 could do this sort of thing:dunno:

Your slicer should show you if you have areas that require supports. I know prusa slicer shows areas in red.

That doesn't necessarily look like it needs supports. Kinda hard to tell from the angle of the pics though.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Seems like the foam is giving you more springiness than needed to dampen the vibrations and is adding to the overall shaking. Perhaps a sheet of sorbothane or like a Dynamat-type material on top of a paver?
But yeah-the reported overall noise from the X1C is what made me rule that out. Heard a lot of ppl having neighbors complain about the sounds.
took the foam off; now it's rubber and 2 pavers stacked -- it's actually less noisy this way.

and yes, it's noisy, but not that noisy unless you're running it at crazy speeds.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
So Bambu’s cloud service went down yesterday —

The printer sends all remotely initiated jobs (from the slicer or the app) to the cloud. Fine when it works, but if the cloud is down, you can’t start any prints remotely, even if you’re on the same network. You have to either use an SD card, or walk over and start the print after attempting to send the job to the printer (and failing) — I think it FTP’s it over to the SD card when you send it over, it just won’t start the print without the cloud.

The X1C does have a “LAN Mode”, but it’s crippled for some stupid reason — no app access and no camera access. Why tf is the cloud necessary for these functions? Also, I think it’s one or the other — i.e. it won’t failover to LAN Mode if the internet goes out or the cloud is down, so you have to choose or manually switch.

Also the P1P — afaik, doesn’t have a “LAN Mode” — so when the cloud was down, you can only use the SD card.

When the cloud came back up, people were reporting that their printer attempted to “catch up” and just started printing the queued up jobs on their own, which doesn’t seem good.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they started charging a subscription for cloud access. The replacement parts are surprisingly cheap ($15 for an entire hardened steel hotend, $35 for the entire printhead setup, etc..) they have to make it up somewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: lowfat

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6