3d Printing Crew: Tugboats up in this biatch

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦
So Bambu’s cloud service went down yesterday —

The printer sends all remotely initiated jobs (from the slicer or the app) to the cloud. Fine when it works, but if the cloud is down, you can’t start any prints remotely, even if you’re on the same network. You have to either use an SD card, or walk over and start the print after attempting to send the job to the printer (and failing) — I think it FTP’s it over to the SD card when you send it over, it just won’t start the print without the cloud.

The X1C does have a “LAN Mode”, but it’s crippled for some stupid reason — no app access and no camera access. Why tf is the cloud necessary for these functions? Also, I think it’s one or the other — i.e. it won’t failover to LAN Mode if the internet goes out or the cloud is down, so you have to choose or manually switch.

Also the P1P — afaik, doesn’t have a “LAN Mode” — so when the cloud was down, you can only use the SD card.

When the cloud came back up, people were reporting that their printer attempted to “catch up” and just started printing the queued up jobs on their own, which doesn’t seem good.

Wouldn’t surprise me if they started charging a subscription for cloud access. The replacement parts are surprisingly cheap ($15 for an entire hardened steel hotend, $35 for the entire printhead setup, etc..) they have to make it up somewhere.

That's interesting. Sounds like they are doing the usual tech company thing of creating a customer profile and selling it to advertisers. Could determine quite a bit about an individual by analyzing everything they 3d print. Anything in their TOS about them having a copy of your files? I'd imagine some corps would be pretty unhappy to know their design files are hitting another companies servers.

Reactions: Cicada

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Wouldn’t surprise me if they started charging a subscription for cloud access. The replacement parts are surprisingly cheap ($15 for an entire hardened steel hotend, $35 for the entire printhead setup, etc..) they have to make it up somewhere.
Yeah I priced out a bunch of stuff on their site and all of the prices were weirdly reasonable, including the filament (someone claimed it's OEMed by esun).

Hot end is relatively primative in the modern era, but with all the tech they have in that thing I guess you can mitigate a lot of issues.

Ramathorn15

OT Supporter
Jan 31, 2008
ABQ
jesus, did that take an entire roll of filament?

Also, what are the dimensions? Wondering If I can even print it on my prusa mini

It was just under half a roll. 450g I think. It barely fit on the print bed of my ender 3 V2. Can't remember the dimension and don't know what the prusa mini are.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
That's interesting. Sounds like they are doing the usual tech company thing of creating a customer profile and selling it to advertisers. Could determine quite a bit about an individual by analyzing everything they 3d print. Anything in their TOS about them having a copy of your files? I'd imagine some corps would be pretty unhappy to know their design files are hitting another companies servers.

Consent to Use of Data

6.1 WHERE YOU CHOOSE TO HELP BAMBU LAB IMPROVE ITS PRODUCTS AND SERVICES, BAMBU LAB AND ITS AFFILIATES/LICENSORS MAY COLLECT DATA FROM YOUR DEVICE FOR ANALYSIS. COLLECTED DATA INCLUDES YOUR DEVICE CONFIGURATION DATA, APP STATISTICAL DATA, AND ERROR LOG DATA. ALL DATA IS ANONYMISED BEFORE BEING COLLECTED AND PROCESSED.

6.2 BAMBU LAB ENSURES THAT A SIMILAR AND ADEQUATE LEVEL OF PROTECTION IS AFFORDED TO YOUR DATA AS REQUIRED BY ALL APPLICABLE LAWS AND REGULATIONS. DATA COLLECTED FROM YOUR PRODUCT DURING USE MAY BE PROCESSED OR TRANSFERRED TO BAMBU LAB AND ITS AFFILIATES/LICENSORS IN COUNTRIES OUTSIDE OF THE COUNTRY YOU RESIDE. THIS MEANS THE DATA MAY BE TRANSFERRED TO OR ACCESSED FROM OTHER JURISDICTIONS WHICH ARE OUTSIDE OF THE COUNTRY WHERE YOU USE BAMBU LAB'S PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. THESE JURISDICTIONS MAY HAVE DIFFERENT DATA PROTECTION LAWS, OR SUCH LAWS MAY NOT EVEN EXIST.

6.3 BAMBU LAB ONLY RETAINS YOUR DATA FOR THE PERIOD NECESSARY TO FULFIL THE PURPOSES OUTLINED IN THESE TERMS AND THE PRIVACY POLICY, UNLESS A LONGER RETENTION PERIOD IS REQUIRED OR PERMITTED BY LAW. WHILE BAMBU LAB TAKES ALL APPROPRIATE TECHNICAL AND ORGANISATIONAL STEPS TO PREVENT UNAUTHORISED ACCESS TO OR DISCLOSURE OF YOUR DATA, PLEASE NOTE THAT NO SECURITY MEASURES ARE COMPLETELY INFALLIBLE.

Information We Collect

We may collect information about you directly from you, from third parties, and automatically through your use of the Bambu Lab Products and Services. Some information we collect from you are referred to as “personal information” or “personal data” in this Policy. Personal information or personal data is data that can identify you, or data that we can relate to you, such as your name, email address, credit card number, and shipping address.

3D model files and/or other printing information.​

Under any circumstances, except with your permission, Bambu Lab will not read, analyze or perform any other processes of your 3D model files, and third parties will not have access to or process your 3D model files.

When you have finished the slicing of 3D model files in Bambu Studio and started the print job through the cloud, to print successfully and display the print information of 3D model files in each client, we may forward the configuration information, disk information and G-code files
(not including 3D mesh information,hereinafter referred to as, "3D model files") from 3D model files in this print job to the 3D printer. When you turn on the function of print history reprinting, to facilitate you to browse print history, we may store the following information in addition to storing the above 3D model files: started times, finished times, consumption of filaments and other information (hereinafter referred to as, "other printing information") for each print job. When you shut off the function of print history reprinting, we will not store your 3D model files and/or other printing information. The 3D model files and/or other printing information will be used by us in strict compliance with the purposes described in this section. If we use your information for purposes other than those specified in this section, we will obtain your prior consent.

We will not collect your 3D model files and/or other printing information under the following circumstances, (a) When you configure the 3D printer to be in pure LAN mode and start the print job, or (b) when you start the print job with a 3D model stored on the SD card of the 3D printer, or (c) when you start the print job with a 3D model stored on the built-in storage card of the 3D printer (when it is not inserted into an SD card).

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Yeah I priced out a bunch of stuff on their site and all of the prices were weirdly reasonable, including the filament (someone claimed it's OEMed by esun).

Hot end is relatively primative in the modern era, but with all the tech they have in that thing I guess you can mitigate a lot of issues.
spools are RFID and reusable, which is kinda nice

I wonder if it reads it every time it's used, or only when a new spool is put in -- if it's only every time you put a spool in, it'd be cool to use the flipper to clone the RFID tags and just tap it to set that slot's print settings for that type of filament.

not hard to configure "Generic PLA" for a slot in the AMS, but it'd be cool to test.

Reactions: CPTMULLET

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
spools are RFID and reusable, which is kinda nice

I wonder if it reads it every time it's used, or only when a new spool is put in -- if it's only every time you put a spool in, it'd be cool to use the flipper to clone the RFID tags and just tap it to set that slot's print settings for that type of filament.

not hard to configure "Generic PLA" for a slot in the AMS, but it'd be cool to test.
man it'd be extra cool if you could add your own RFID tags :hmm:

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
man it'd be extra cool if you could add your own RFID tags :hmm:
whenever I open the spools that came with it, i'll read out the tags

dont know what i'll do with that info...but :rofl:

it'd be pretty sick to have your own tags and it'll set that slot for whatever settings you have setup for different types of filament

Tenny

OT Supporter
Oct 4, 2005
Houston
Well fuck, that took longer than expected. I never work with imported models (screwdriver) so it was far more difficult than expected.

FKeGU7Y.png

q04rabT.png

A few compromises though.
  • LTT Logo (see above) where you can see the holes for the magnet. Could be solved with a thin layer of plastic..
  • Bits are not offset. I didn't want to go through the hassle of figuring out which bits would fit with each other as I'd have to model nearly every one.
  • actual bits are recessed into the holes a bit... I could have lowered the plastic amount but at a few tests (with not the bits) I felt that looked weird af or it didn't "cradle" the screwdriver as much as I "think" it needs.

Screwdriver arrives Tuesday, then we'll really see how accurately the person modeled it. :rofl:

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
For whatever reason, it seems when I need to use supports I end up doing something incorrectly and end up with something that I can't possibly remove the supports from :/

TheGreat8

Jul 14, 2006
GA
like inside the print or they're just too stuck on?
Like some parts are completely surrounded by supports. Say there are 2 balls, vertically stacked. the bottom would need supports and then the top would need supports that cover the top of the ball. Kinda, idk that's a shit way of explaining it. I'm gonna reprint the astronaut cup and then I'll post a pic and I can show you guys the shit I've "printed" lol

but yes, they do seem too stuck on as well.

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Like some parts are completely surrounded by supports. Say there are 2 balls, vertically stacked. the bottom would need supports and then the top would need supports that cover the top of the ball. Kinda, idk that's a shit way of explaining it. I'm gonna reprint the astronaut cup and then I'll post a pic and I can show you guys the shit I've "printed" lol

to go back to an old OT trope, post pics or GTFO :mamoru:

• Haha
Reactions: TheGreat8

Boots

I'm wearing a disguise
Jul 2, 2001
🇨🇦

Reorient the part so the two balls are horizontal instead of vertical. A lot of times, supports can be improved simply by readjusting your model on the build plate.

Reactions: Nikuk and TheGreat8

TheRider

Geeky
OT Supporter
Jan 27, 2002
San Diego
Friends saw the octopus so now I've had to print more, this one is TTYT3D Silk Shiny Fast Color Gradient Change Rainbow Filament with 3 walls and lightning infill (3% - but don't think that means anything) works fine. I might go to 4 walls next time, but with these settings came down to about 34 hours and about 335 grams of material.

3WZ0nKNl.jpg

1Kb7ggYl.jpg

osfri06l.jpg

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
@MastaCow
btw in the voron sourcing guide they also have the ancillary shit you might need listed. IIRC the ldo rails are greased and all the wires are terminated so this might not be that important
1674579996948.png

MastaCow

I love cup.
Nov 11, 2001
Glendale, CA
@MastaCow
btw in the voron sourcing guide they also have the ancillary shit you might need listed. IIRC the ldo rails are greased and all the wires are terminated so this might not be that important
View attachment 297800
Oh, nice. I have a lot of that stuff already. Just need the grease and whatever that loctite compound is. thanks!

CPTMULLET

OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2008
shitpost city
Oh, nice. I have a lot of that stuff already. Just need the grease and whatever that loctite compound is. thanks!
btw most vendors now sell a syringe of grease for like $8, you absolutely will never use even half a tube on a dozen vorons, and iirc that's yellow loctite, most people just use blue, I think the LDO kit may even have that now (they've changed since I bought my v0.1 kit)

if you have any questions during the build there's a super active community in the discord, you can post in the help channel or create a ticket if you only get smoothbrain answers

Reactions: MastaCow

TwiggSS

eh?
Jul 8, 2001
🐔
I've read about the Noc fans but they tend to flow less air to be more quiet right? Not sure I want to take a chance of burning up the board. Mine made a little noise this morning when I fired it up but went away after a min or so. Maybe I just won't turn if off for the next two weeks. :rolleyes:

my printers sit idle 24/7, so maybe i'll have better luck -- at least until fans are stocked

but i also ordered a Noctua 40mm 5v fan just in case.
Well keeping it on constantly kept it alive till early this morning. Was awoken to the sweet song of a dying fan. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abdallahppp6