TECH 3G 16gb water damage - pics tell the story

itwasntme

Jun 24, 2006
TN
Damage report.

- To the upper right of the yellow box, transformer shattered.

- To the left of the yellow box, outputs of chip fried.

- Connector and motherboard to connector fried.

- Components to the right of the processor fried.

This 16gb White 3G phone took on less than a tablespoon of salty sea water by the previous owner. On a 2G phone this wouldn't have been much damage at all. The flex cable would have shorted out before it got to the motherboard 8 out of 10 times. If it goes in the headphone jack first, it gets the digitizer first and pops the flex cable from the amp draw second. Aside of the extremely risky task of replacing the flex cable, most 2G phones that take on water damage are an easy fix provided it doesn't get the digitizer.

3G phones however have a solid power supply straight from the battery to the main portion of the phones motherboard and they don't take water nearly as well. The guys that are used to buying the water damaged 2G phones expecting a quick fix are S.O.L. as the 3G phones are a much more sensitive phone to nearly every element in every way. They don't take in air moisture well, they don't take any saturation of liquids well without nearly total devastation, and they are not good with impacts since they have a glass/ferrite component almost dead center in the middle of the Motherboard that usually cracks on impact putting the phone into "needs service" mode.

IMG_7694.jpg

IMG_7683copy.jpg

IMG_7690copy.jpg

CodeX

I honestly assumed that mac users thought magical gnomes pull levers and operate cranks to power their electronics :eek3:

snoozeallday

OT Supporter
Jul 30, 2006
My 8gb 3g was completely submerged in water for about 4-5 seconds.. I didn't mess with it for 4 days and it works fine now.

I'm... so... lucky.

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
Rev. Johnny Vegas is the mod here. I don't ever see him around though. Usually moderating isn't really needed in the macshack.

Well where the fuck is he? I think we need him just about now. Maybe we should get a new Mod.

mobbarley

Mar 4, 2005
Sydney
leave CodeX alone, he has no social skills because he spends all of his life playing WoW.. poor little bugger :wtc:

nsxrebel

May 22, 2006
I think he turned it down because he had so much going on.

Bring it up at the Front Desk.. I'd suggest Xenon Supra. I would be interested in modding, but there's probably more OG guys who should get it.

Xenon Supra sounds like a good guy for the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor