FIT 5/3/1 followers

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
anything wrong with resetting your max after every phase?

on week 3, where you're supposed to do 5-3-1 reps, i consistently did at least 6 reps for each exercise on my last set.

so rather than increasing my 531-max work set by 5lbs and 10lbs, i'm thinking i'll reset it using the 33% rule and the weight+reps from my last sets?

example:
previous squat max was 245x5 or calculated 290 1rm. 531 max then = 265.
normally, starting on the 5th week i would bump up that 531 max to 275 and continue.

however, on week 3 i did 255x6 as my final set. so i'm thinking that on week 5 i will recalculate and use:
255x6, calculated 310 1rm, 531 max = 280.

not planning on doing this every phase, just doing it this phase since i'm just getting back into this and i think i had some muscle memory gains in the 1st month.

thoughts?

Deleted member 153699

yeah what GT said

when i started 5/3/1 the first time I did like 20 reps on my first deadlift week, knew i had to readjust :rofl:

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
yeah what GT said

when i started 5/3/1 the first time I did like 20 reps on my first deadlift week, knew i had to readjust :rofl:

:rofl:

i did pretty good with the max calculations the last time i did this. it seems like the weights are a little lighter this time around. like i didnt push my reps hard enough when i was doing the max calculation rep crap.

i'll keep going with it, raise it recommended 5 and 10 lbs, see where that takes me.

:bigthumb:

i'm impatient and i'm itching to get back to 405 deadlift. :hsd:

dengar

seans is a afta marchsollwe in his gir!
OT Supporter
Sep 11, 2004
OC NJ
If you get to the point where you're doing 15 reps instead of 1 yes but not at the level you're at.

I know you don't need any more confirmation after this, but I will tell you that I was doing the same thing hitting my x1 for 6-8ish and still stalled out quicker than I would have liked to.

SugarCoatedSour

Apr 22, 2004
Glenview, IL
Just go by the regular 5-10lb increases outlined by Wendler. Like Ceaze said, you'll stall out faster and Wendler even says in the book that you're better off going too light and working up slow than progressing too fast and not being able to handle it.

Coozone

Dat my city
Dec 30, 2004
Shhhh
yea once i learned proper form on squat and deathlift, i had to redo all my numbers.

no matter how awesome i feel one day. i know that jumping the gun may not benefit me in the end

TS
TS
KingGargantuan

KingGargantuan

♖♘♗♕♔♗♘♖
Oct 4, 2001
VABeach
Just go by the regular 5-10lb increases outlined by Wendler. Like Ceaze said, you'll stall out faster and Wendler even says in the book that you're better off going too light and working up slow than progressing too fast and not being able to handle it.

yea. i'll keep the standard increases (5 and 10lbs) and shoot for 12 reps on the week3 1-rep sets. :bigthumb:

THEN i'll raise it.

i think it'd help me if i had someone to workout with, to push me. pretty sure i sometimes give in to the weights when i might have more in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan