GUN A 5 round max limit at my local gun range? v.*LOL NY*

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
I live in NY and just got my pistol carry permit. Because I'm not an ex-police officer, I don't have a full carry. My license to carry a pistol only allows me to take it target, hunting, fishing, hiking and camping. :hs:

Also, to add to the fun, as you probably know, no magazine may exceed 10 rounds including AR magazines. :hsugh:

But whatever, finally get a chance to go down to the local range and fire my pistol. It's a new range so the rangemaster goes over the house rules. Pretty standard (no rapid shooting, 10 yard minimum, blah) except for the fact that: YOU MAY NOT HAVE MORE THAN 5 ROUNDS IN THE GUN AT ANYTIME.

I was like :confused: so i clarified and yeah, no more than 5 rounds in the gun. Not even in the magazine, so you can't do 5+1. Just 5. Fire 5 rounds, eject magazine, reload another five rounds. It was the most ridiculous thing, I spent wayyy more time reloading than I did looking down the sights.

TS
TS
alex

alex

RIP OT Yard Sale
OT Supporter
Oct 11, 2005
Orange County, NY
My question is: WHY? They say it's because of their insurance, but why is a gun with 5 rounds more dangerous than a gun with 10 (the state maximum)? I suppose having to reload all the time makes you take your time more between shots...? I really don't know, I'm stumped.

Also, why a 10 yard minimum? So you don't try to quick fire from the holster and shoot yourself in the leg? What the fuck kind of gun range is this?

NetChemica

OT Supporter
Aug 31, 2003
My local range has a no rapid fire rule also. I had my AR15 with a muzzle brake on it that day. I was firing pretty rapidly, but slow enough where I can control the target and still have tight groupings. I was done with a 30rd magazine and I was pulling in my target from the 25yd line when the range officer comes up to me and tells me to slow down my firing or leave.

As soon as he says that the guy three stalls away starts shooting a fully automatic AK in ~15 round bursts.

I asked him why I have to slow down when my shooting is clearly controlled when the other guy's target is scattered all over the place (there were tons of rounds well outside the silhouette, and I'm sure a good amount completely missed the target). He said "it's safer because he only has to pull the trigger once" :hsugh:

I definitely don't go there anymore.

BimmerJustin

Why would you deny yourself something you want?
Dec 31, 2000
Fantasyland
Im submitting my application this week in NY.

What exactly are the restrictions on your license? I think I'll wind up with the same type of permit.

Where/When are you allowed to carry?

Zz_3.14_zZ

Nov 5, 2003
Mid-Flolriduh
Thank GAWD I live in Fl. Thats fucking crazy man. I'd fine a friend with some land and go nuts.

...Let me ask. Do you guys pay to go to these ranges?

D-FENS

Nov 13, 2002
I've been to a range once where, while I don't know the rule on handguns, with rifles you could only load 1 round in a mag at a time. Seemed to be one of those douchey clubs full of faggots who look down on "assault weapons" and think the second amendment is about hunting.

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
Gateway rifle and pistol club in Jax is exactly like that. A bunc of old faggots that think "their" range should be for nothing other than sighting in their hunting rifles 1 round at a time.
You need to let me know where a good place to target practice is between live oak and Jacksonville. Free. I've read target practicing on federal land is legal as long as you set up your range properly. I need to learn how to properly set up a range according to the law.
:hsd:

D-FENS

Nov 13, 2002
Thankfully my dad and I checked out a bunch of other ranges in the area, found one right by us we didn't even know about, has IPSC ranges set up, dedicated full auto range, and nobody cared how fast you shot, on the busier weekends it wasn't uncommon to see somebody with a full auto M60 or MG42 or 1919 at the 100 yard range

m1lk

Banned
Aug 27, 2003
Nowhere
in some places, i think they bitch at you too if you have any targets that resemble human silhouettes or pictures even if zombie targets. lame.

1BadZ

Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi
Aug 21, 2000
STL
Yeah, the closest range to me doesn't allow human silhouette targets either. That's alright by me because if I can hit one of their smaller 8" diameter targets, I can surely hit a man sized target. No rapid fire either, one shot ever 3 seconds.

Although today there were some real idiots at the outdoor range today. After the range was cleared and everyone was allowed to go out and replace or move their targets, some moron went back into his stall and started messing with their firearms. Derp. Oh you should of heard the safety people, they weren't there for much longer.

apman0000

OT Supporter
Oct 18, 2005
range i go too only allows you to load 6 rounds at a time.

they also don't allow rapid fire

i can understand the rapid fire rule, since many of the fools i see there are scary enough when they take their time i sure wouldn't want to see what they did if they fired any quicker.

the round limit still doesn't make sense to me though.

oh well.

phoenixTX

Sep 10, 2004
Dallas and OKC
I usually shoot on private land, but my usual indoor range isn't too bad either. No limit on round capacity, they sell zombie and terrorist targets, no rapid fire but they do allow double taps :bigthumb:

cent

Nov 8, 2007
in some places, i think they bitch at you too if you have any targets that resemble human silhouettes or pictures even if zombie targets. lame.

:rofl: i had some vote for <local representatives/judges> signs in my garage. i brought them to my local shooting range just to have something to punch holes in, and some RSO came up to me and started bitching at me because that could be considered intimidating or threatening that candidate.

swedishstar

Banned
Nov 24, 2003
TX
My local range has a no rapid fire rule also. I had my AR15 with a muzzle brake on it that day. I was firing pretty rapidly, but slow enough where I can control the target and still have tight groupings. I was done with a 30rd magazine and I was pulling in my target from the 25yd line when the range officer comes up to me and tells me to slow down my firing or leave.

As soon as he says that the guy three stalls away starts shooting a fully automatic AK in ~15 round bursts.

I asked him why I have to slow down when my shooting is clearly controlled when the other guy's target is scattered all over the place (there were tons of rounds well outside the silhouette, and I'm sure a good amount completely missed the target). He said "it's safer because he only has to pull the trigger once" :hsugh:

I definitely don't go there anymore.

For all the shit that could be said, that has to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. :rofl: what a fucking dolt.

[I'm not a gun advocate really... I personally see a lot of issues in the mentality that is displayed by some owners of guns. I think this is more of an issue in areas predominately like mine, where if you're a minority or well-educated person, frugal/economical in car choice, don't have a shotgun rack in the back of your truck, don't have a "size matters" or browning sticker, not wearing boots and tattered jeans, and not fucking your cousin, you're automatically disliked. I'm not a fan of carrying in public, but think people should have a right to own any gun, less a full automatic, and shoot in public/private designated areas. :shrug:]

swedishstar

Banned
Nov 24, 2003
TX
This is why I fucking hate basically all gun ranges. They treat everyone like children.

I went out and shot at my dads friend's range one christmas...my only time really. It was privately owned and no one was there except the four of us. People know how to act, especially my 50 year old father and his 52 year old friend. We were entirely safe.

Like you said, treat like children, even when the children are behaving correctly.

dmt4595

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
OH
the range i go to every once in a while was pay by the hour.. they don't have a limit, but having a 5 round limit would make you spend more time reloading, so if you want to put a few hundred rounds down range you'd end up paying a lot more.. just a thought

m1lk

Banned
Aug 27, 2003
Nowhere
:rofl: i had some vote for <local representatives/judges> signs in my garage. i brought them to my local shooting range just to have something to punch holes in, and some RSO came up to me and started bitching at me because that could be considered intimidating or threatening that candidate.

ya most if not all the ranges out on long island are like that, except for calverton. the guys at calverton dont care what you shoot, as long as its paper targets only and follow basic firearm safety. $14 for the whole day isnt bad either, considering those same uptight places charge at least $10 an hour

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor