ART a couple of 4 wheeled subjects C&C welcome

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
a few friends stopped by yesterday and since the sun was out we went for a ride and took a few pics at some local places :o

any advice/suggestions/etc is more than welcome!
1)
nick-2.jpg

2)
nick-3.jpg

3)
nick-1.jpg

4)
james-e90-1.jpg

5)
james-e90-2.jpg

6)
james-e90-3.jpg

7)
james-e90-4.jpg

8)
james-e90-5.jpg

9)
james-e90-6.jpg

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Black cars are a bitch to photograph in bright sun. That said- the first one is underexposed- the 2nd is better.

BMW pics look fine exposure wise though- some of them could use a little fill-light slider though.

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
Black cars are a bitch to photograph in bright sun. That said- the first one is underexposed- the 2nd is better.

BMW pics look fine exposure wise though- some of them could use a little fill-light slider though.

first off, thank you.. i did pp all of the pics in one way or another, so i'll go back and see if i moved the black slider too much and the fill light too little.

and yes, black is a bitch to photograph in bright sunlight, but i attempted to do the best with what i had.. the CP helps alot :o
sucks for me that all syclones and alot of typhoons are black :o

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
yes it is a typhoon, i have lots of friends with them considering i have both a typhoon and a syclone..

the bmw is a e30 with a e36 m3 motor that has been turbo charged (obviously) the car moves, surprisingly quick and it handles great, i was very impressed.

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
the lack of constructive responses must mean something..

either my pics suck that bad or they are run of the mill and not good enough to get compliments.. :wtc:

ov3n

Aug 20, 2002
I'll take a shot. I'm not good enough myself but I'll critique on what I wouldn't be satisfied with had these been mine.

- Like it was mentioned, shooting black cars sucks. Use a flash or something to reflect light back to fill in the dark areas like the front/grill and wheel areas. Or fix it in LR/PS and blend exposures together.

- Shoot in an area that reflects the cars style or era. Shoot the truck in an industrial area or someplace that looks tough. Shoot the BMW somewhere modern or with clean lines like an all glass building complex or city.

- Step back and zoom in to get better background separation. Mind what's beyond the subject to avoid things like doors, trees, light posts and etc from "growing" out of the vehicle.

#9 and #2 are my two favorites as far as angle, vehicle stance and your position. But you have a pilar growing out of the BMW's roof and backgrounds on both are tilted. I'd rather see the background run parallel across the image instead of the perspective starting to slightly change. Unless you change your angle to show a distinctive vanishing point.

Like I said, I'm no pro and I've made the same mistakes shooting my car. But I keep at it and try and these were the things I would criticize myself on had I taken them.

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
I have a habit of making the subject "straight" and ignoring the background, these pics showcase that :hs:

believe it or not most of these were taken with the 70-200, so yeah i did zoom in, i guess not enough.. I also used a flash on a few of them, the flash on the typhoon just produced a flare back at the camera..

as for the background suggestion, since both of these cars are from the same era i didn't feel that the industrial setting was wrong for them, i went to these places because i like them, i like the way the sunlight hits the different spots at different times of the day.

as for things growing out of the subject, I hate it when i do it and i try my best to avoid it, unfortunately i wasn't able to on some of these shots.

overall i agree with everything you said, i asked for C&C, your experience doesn't matter to me.. your opinion is what i am interested in.

ov3n

Aug 20, 2002
believe it or not most of these were taken with the 70-200, so yeah i did zoom in, i guess not enough..
What was your aperture?

as for the background suggestion, since both of these cars are from the same era i didn't feel that the industrial setting was wrong for them, i went to these places because i like them, i like the way the sunlight hits the different spots at different times of the day.
The BMW is often looked at as a yuppie vehicle. A city scene or modern, glass & steel, office complex would've been a better location. The truck worked better where you were.

No problem.

jsmonet

egg
Sep 20, 2002
so cali
the last two pix of the bmw are odd to me. the car's fine, but the background seems so indecisive. like you'd have wanted to flash the car just to underexpose the background out more. it's a weird sort of limbo.

did you have a choice about when you shot these? looks like midday-ish, when light is harshest. good kill getting ANYTHING out of that truck. needs more flash to bring it out

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
the last two pix of the bmw are odd to me. the car's fine, but the background seems so indecisive. like you'd have wanted to flash the car just to underexpose the background out more. it's a weird sort of limbo.

did you have a choice about when you shot these? looks like midday-ish, when light is harshest. good kill getting ANYTHING out of that truck. needs more flash to bring it out

it was a little later than mid-day, probably 2-3pm.. the last 2 bmw shots are actually underneath the over hang in the shade, i was trying to get the bmw to "stick out" vs the darker background. :o

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
it was a little later than mid-day, probably 2-3pm.. the last 2 bmw shots are actually underneath the over hang in the shade, i was trying to get the bmw to "stick out" vs the darker background. :o

That's most of your problem. Still too early in the day. Also, the BMW is white- it's going to naturally stick out from the background. :o

TS
TS
smaug

smaug

born to lose
Nov 9, 2001
Hamilton, Bermuda
That's most of your problem. Still too early in the day. Also, the BMW is white- it's going to naturally stick out from the background. :o

that was the point, especially when i moved it under the over hang..

:o

when all the snow is gone i'll take my typhoon over there for some pics.. it is also black :hsd:

this pic was from this same location, different time of day, different color car:
IMG_7308.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448