A question about the Covid, the number of vaccinations, and the number of doses.

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
Sometime like 19 million people have gotten the first dose.
There are a little over 40 million doses that have been distributed.
Lotsa people lamenting the lack of availablity of doses.
I don't get it. Bureaucracy or corruption?

Wife wonders if someone is siphoning off lotsa doses and selling them on the black market.
She's not normally a conspiracy person.

wabash9000

Dec 27, 2006
Olathe, KS
Limited supply because it takes time to produce. They are making it as fast as they can, but last I checked, there is a lot of people in the world.

Muddy Waters

Knock Knock
OT Supporter
Dec 12, 2007
Southern California

Wife wonders if someone is siphoning off lotsa doses and selling them on the black market.
Did you get yours yet?
I heard people in your area are starting to get them this week

ludewig

Mar 14, 2000
Houston! Texas!

From looking at the totals over the first few weeks it looks like there has been roughly constant number of ~20MM doses distributed to the states but not yet used while the # of doses administered has gone from ~10MM to ~20MM. There is always going to be some number of doses in that fallin in the gap between being distributed and being administered. Ideally the number should be minimized (as in a business operating an on demand inventory) to maximize the time value to public health of an incremental vaccinated person.

As I understand it, up until today the states were only informed one week ahead as to what size allotment they would receive. And in turn the states typically informed vaccination sites only 2 days ahead how much vaccine they were getting which tended to make a mess of things.

Today it was announced that from now on states will get three weeks notice on how many doses they will get. Hopefully this will allow states and vaccination sites to plan and prepare better and to operate more efficiently and to reduce that 20MM dose buffer.

TS
TS
wildflower

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
From looking at the totals over the first few weeks it looks like there has been roughly constant number of ~20MM doses distributed to the states but not yet used while the # of doses administered has gone from ~10MM to ~20MM. There is always going to be some number of doses in that fallin in the gap between being distributed and being administered. Ideally the number should be minimized (as in a business operating an on demand inventory) to maximize the time value to public health of an incremental vaccinated person.

As I understand it, up until today the states were only informed one week ahead as to what size allotment they would receive. And in turn the states typically informed vaccination sites only 2 days ahead how much vaccine they were getting which tended to make a mess of things.

Today it was announced that from now on states will get three weeks notice on how many doses they will get. Hopefully this will allow states and vaccination sites to plan and prepare better and to operate more efficiently and to reduce that 20MM dose buffer.
A sensible answer on OT.
Thanks.

TimzSI

#KeepFightingMichael
Oct 3, 2001
Zenadu
I don’t understand why seniors are getting this first. It seems more important to get kids back to school. Whatever happened to women and children first? Guess the boomers had one more selfish sensibility to display before fading out of humanity.

• Haha
Reactions: Nom
TS
TS
wildflower

wildflower

OT Supporter
May 17, 2002
No place for older men
I don’t understand why seniors are getting this first. It seems more important to get kids back to school. Whatever happened to women and children first? Guess the boomers had one more selfish sensibility to display before fading out of humanity.
I'm a senior, and I pretty much agree with you.

Sphygmo

OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
:rofl: good lord

TimzSI

#KeepFightingMichael
Oct 3, 2001
Zenadu
I'm a senior, and I pretty much agree with you.

When the Queen and prince Phillip tweeted out a couple weeks ago that they had both received the vaccine in their mid and upper 90’s my only thought was to the gall and hubris of thinking that was something to be announced and heralded. No matter who you are there’s not much life left in that circumstance.

TopTuna

OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2010
Arizona
Half the people I know in that older age group don't even want the vaccine because of some conspiracy theory.

morrowalnut

OT Supporter
Oct 28, 2004

1) the original projections were bs

2) there is a serious shortage of staff. My state has a lot of people volunteering

I do not think there is any conspiracy. Just a lot of logistics to work in a short space of time

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thetongue