FIT a thread for people who swim? but aren't necessarily great

Status
Not open for further replies.

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
i feel like i gotta qualify everything i say in here because i'm sure there are people here who are actually in shape and good at this shit on OT :o

been swimming for 3 weeks, almost every day. generally just about an 45-60 minutes a day. when i started, i couldn't do 50 yards without taking like a minute to rest. i blame this on having quit smoking not long before that. and also being weak i guess lol. right now i'm averaging something like 35 to 40 yds/minute for the whole thing.

some woman who's a swimming instructor, and who i think is known to be pretty good, was saying how when i breathe, i should use my neck instead of my hips. I think it helped but it did feel pretty different. gonna work on this because it could feel how it lets you kinda glide on your side.

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
anyways, if you guys know any must-read things for people trying to improve their swimming, or also know what it's like to be make/fix whatever error i'm making up there i guess it'd be cool if you posted it here :dunno:

GOGZILLA

Double-Uranium Member
Jan 16, 2003
Plantation, FL
its probably really hard to read something to improve on swimming but generally the less motion you can put into doing something the better it is. with breathing you should work on doing that as little as possible a good rule of thumb is every 3 strokes for freestyle.

GammaRadiation

Feb 15, 2007
Random Location.FL
I loves me some breast stroke.

I cant do sprints in freestyle but ever since I blew out my rotator cuff it gets uncomfortable after 100yds or so. :(

Your best bet is to look at picture sequences and have someone watch you underwater.

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
butterflyexpertcrew signing in
damn lol i can't really even move myself much with that stroke lol. it's worse than watching me try and dance.

i should mention, i'm only really working on front crawl right now. i figure one at a time makes sense?

CottonTowels

May 17, 2010
Canada
I don't know any specific readings that would help improve swimming; however an understanding of basic fluid mechanics (turbulence, laminar flow, etc.) will help you try to become as thin and as straight as possible when moving through water.

Note that these tips are based on recall so double check with other swimmers.
- Always strike the water fingers pointed out, never a fist or oddly shaped and never at an angle. When dragging the arm back keep the arm tight to the body and avoid excessive surface area that the water contacts on your body when doing so.
- You should strive to try and glide through the water and avoid trying to "pull yourself" through the water.
- Some fat is best for buoyancy; but not too much as turbulence would be magnified. Some buoyancy will make you spend less energy on trying to keep yourself afloat and more focus is placed on actual swimming.
- Wear one of those swimmer caps; or go bald.
- Wear competative trunks; regular shorts create excessive drag and turbulence.

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
I don't know any specific readings that would help improve swimming; however an understanding of basic fluid mechanics (turbulence, laminar flow, etc.) will help you try to become as thin and as straight as possible when moving through water.

Note that these tips are based on recall so double check with other swimmers.
- Always strike the water fingers pointed out, never a fist or oddly shaped and never at an angle. When dragging the arm back keep the arm tight to the body and avoid excessive surface area that the water contacts on your body when doing so.
- You should strive to try and glide through the water and avoid trying to "pull yourself" through the water.

- Some fat is best for buoyancy; but not too much as turbulence would be magnified. Some buoyancy will make you spend less energy on trying to keep yourself afloat and more focus is placed on actual swimming.
- Wear one of those swimmer caps; or go bald.
- Wear competative trunks; regular shorts create excessive drag and turbulence.

this was pretty helpful to me, i think i was doing it with the back edge of my hand instead of my fingers, but changing that i think helped me glide since it caused my to roll a little bit in the water, and that rolling i think helped my speed too since i can feel water rushing past my body when i do that... im wondering if that's part of that nontrivial laminar flow action is going on? (i don't know much about laminar flow or exactly how turbulence works)

i'm up to about 40-50 yds/minute, which i can sustain for about 40 minutes.

i'm trying to correct basic things as my fitness permits. I'm hoping that even while doing things wrong, it lets me build strength towards correcting parts of my stroke.

CottonTowels

May 17, 2010
Canada
:bigthumb:

Long story short if you limit the amount of surface area the water comes into touch with you the better. Here's what I mean.

[y]vQHXIHpvcvU[/y]

In the direction of the moving liquid it contacts a lot of surface area of the sphere causing large chaotic motions of the liquid causing a large amount of drag. The next video shows a very small amount of surface area being contacted by the water based on the direction of the moving liquid.

[y]S2Oylz9F-SI[/y]

Watch how when the slip gets thicker there is more randomness of the particles (turbulence) which will increase the amount of drag on you; therefore slowing you down.

Bodhi

My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g
Feb 14, 2008
i think swimming is fun .. and im not necessarily great at it

perfect thread

phelix

forums superstar
Aug 21, 2004
miami
It's very difficult to write something about swimming, I think you really need someone to watch your technique and critique it

Also I've been swimming since before I remember, was moderately serious in high school (year-round club), and I've never thought about fluid mechanics while swimming.

kronik85

Feb 8, 2005
Deutschland
watch alexander popov's training, it's all about stroke efficiency, even in the sprints

practice various drills for a high elbow, i forgot most of the names, shit like dragging your thumb up your obliques/ribcage.... had a name like "zippers" or some shit. the elbow should lead the fingertips on your recovery stroke (out of water portion of the front crawl/free) until your elbow passes the shoulder at which point you use the momentum to dart the hand ahead smoothly

when your fingertips enter the water, they should enter at about a 30 to 45* angle... not sure what cotton towels means about "never at an angle" :dunno:.... the thumb should be pointed almost in the same direction as the fingers as you enter the water.... but as you pull back, open your thumb out as wide as possible and "grab" the water... thumb out = more surface area = more pulling. some like the 4 finger very tight throughout, some like a little bit relaxed and slightly 1mm spacings inbetween fingers.

as you pull, open your thumb out, imagine you're wrapping your arm around a barrel as you pull. they say imagine tracing an S along the bottom of the pool, however the hand should be following a straight path and it's your body's natural roll tracing the S.

practice front quadrant swimming... this is when you pretty much always have an arm out ahead at all times to maintain a semi-streamlined shape. check out http://www.usms.org/articles/articledisplay.php?a=81

maintain a neutral body position, especially your head, throughout the swim, your head should not come up and out of the water on a freestyle but you should be breathing in the gap between your head and your trap. a gap of air will be there. if your head comes up, your hips sink, and you fucked up your efficiency.

practice your flip turns, they make a great difference, practice coming off the wall streamlined as well. no gap at all between the ears and the delts.

mmm, that's all i got for now. let me know if you want any more tips about something in particular. i'm no expert, i swam in college my freshman year before transferring to a school without a men's swim program. made New England's with a B time in the 200 free, SCY.

Last edited:

subwoofer

OT Supporter
Aug 28, 2003
california
When I was training for swimming, we would constantly be doing intervals. Go on every 40, or 45, or even minute.

We practiced different strokes, typically each exercise lasted about 10 minutes. So total 45 minutes we would get at least 4-6 different types of strokes.

You can also swim with a leg bui, so you only use your upper body
or you can swim with the board and only use your legs

Swim on your sides as well, bottom arm straight

breaststroke
freestyle
backstroke

When you swim freestyle, you want good overhead mobility so your arms can complete fluid motions.
Your neck should be face down and eyes typically look straight down at the line underneath you. every time you bring your eyes/head UP then your legs/hips move DOWN

TS
TS
limsoup

limsoup

OT Supporter
Mar 11, 2007
:bowdown: thanks you guys

this is exactly the kind of thing i was looking for: advice im able to use plus things to read about and look up. i find that when i have something about my form to think about while swimming that it makes it easier to focus on swimming in general

Bodhi

My crotch is red .. my lambos blue .. and ill be g
Feb 14, 2008
well .. looks like ill never challenge kronik to a swimming contest

jared_IRL

OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2006
No joke, this is the reason I can do triathlons.... I was the worst swimmer in the universe before I got into this training program.

Still in the bottom 10%, but last week I swam a mile in open water. Feels good man...

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

CottonTowels

May 17, 2010
Canada
when your fingertips enter the water, they should enter at about a 30 to 45* angle... not sure what cotton towels means about "never at an angle" :dunno:....

Now that I read that again I definitely didn't describe that in detail.

- Limit the amount of swaying the hands when considering the positioning of the hands with reference to the midline of the body. Always try and keep the hands a constant distance away from the midline throughout the stroke cycle.

- All 5 fingers should enter the water at roughly the same time; not the thumbs first or the pinky first. If anything the middle finger (as it being the longest) should be entering the water first.

elduderino323

Banned
Oct 24, 2007
Chicago, IL
for breathing i kinda just put my mouth into my armpit where it creates a little pocket of air. the less you move anything unnecessarily the better.

if you are trying to sprint ideally you would hold your breath for the entire 50 yds. or take 1 or 2 for each 25.

also tempo is important switch sides and the amount of strokes before each breath.(for short distances)

also what i see a lot of people messing up on is tilting their neck back, from experience, its better to look almost directly at the bottom of the pool.

If some actual swimmers could chime in it would be better i was the diver on the team :hsugh: pretty sick shit too though.

also dont buy the smoking excuse because i can do 50 yards underwater and smoke a pack a day. work breathing exercises and increase lung capacity. i think lung capacity its a lot genetics and shit but yoga is money for it.(basically smash one side of your lungs by doing a twisting ham stretch and breath in as deep as possible for as long as possible and switch sides.)

Last edited:

jehan60188

May 25, 2006
fat swimmer checking in
I like to swim after lifting. it burns horribly, and makes me feel like a boss.
i do tend to hyperventilate myself while swimming front stroke, I think I exhale too much and don't inhale enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor