ART About to pull the trigger on some lights. Which direction do I go?

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
Ranger RX1100 kit or a RX600/1200 monoblock kit?

I already have an Explorer XT and RX300 so I can use the monoblocks off of the grid.

I like the simplicity and relative light weight of the Ranger (being able to carry EVERYTHING in one case would be awesome), but the monoblocks give me more power for the same money at the cost of bulk. :hs:

For reference. . .

Ranger
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/532562-REG/Elinchrom_EL_10287_Ranger_RX_Speed_AS.html

RX600/1200
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._EL_20746_Digital_Style_600_1200RX_Flash.html

I'm already moderately invested in Elinchrom gear so switching at this point isn't much of an option. At this point I'm leaning more towards the Ranger because it fits more with my run-and-gun shooting style, but I'm always open to suggestions. :)

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Ranger. All you're getting with the other kit is another 600w/s light. For the money, I'll take the portability. Plus if you ever decide to move away from Elinchrom, the Ranger will hold way more value (not that you're even thinking this way, but I do sometimes).

MSIGuy

om nom nom nom!
May 30, 2005
I cancled my BXRi 500 order since it was taking forever... I'm planning on going with a Quadra kit later on down the road. I'd go for the Ranger, but don't need that much power.

If I were you I'd go for the Ranger.

koolaids

OH YEAH
Jul 21, 2006
Ranger

Look at the recharge time for using a 1200ws or even 600ws light with the tronix
It's painful

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Ranger. All you're getting with the other kit is another 600w/s light. For the money, I'll take the portability. Plus if you ever decide to move away from Elinchrom, the Ranger will hold way more value (not that you're even thinking this way, but I do sometimes).

TS
TS
FryingPan

FryingPan

Certified Thread Killer
May 19, 2000
Raleigh, NC
being a staff photog for a mag must pay nice :eek3:

One day they're gonna wise up and just put me on a salary instead of paying me my day rate. :o

But in actuality I had a grant come in that I wasn't expecting, so I figured I'd just put it into the lights that I was going to buy anyway, but now I can get the bigger kit vs the base unit alone. :)

Ranger

Look at the recharge time for using a 1200ws or even 600ws light with the tronix
It's painful

Good point. Hadn't thought about that.

Zerosity

Like drinking ten lightnings!
OT Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
Anyone use the Paul C. Buff Einsteins?

I'm currently attempting to learn all the off camera stuff with my 580exII, but eventually I'd like to get some real strobes. I'm totally clueless regarding a bunch of the technical specs, but his graph showing the color temps staying the same thru the power range looks really nice. And then his thread on FM before the ban about the sync speed was awesome.

derekOT

Feb 9, 2009
Calgary, AB
One day they're gonna wise up and just put me on a salary instead of paying me my day rate. :o

But in actuality I had a grant come in that I wasn't expecting, so I figured I'd just put it into the lights that I was going to buy anyway, but now I can get the bigger kit vs the base unit alone. :)

Good point. Hadn't thought about that.

flash duration is really slow on the rx 1200 too, much faster on the ranger

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Anyone use the Paul C. Buff Einsteins?

I'm currently attempting to learn all the off camera stuff with my 580exII, but eventually I'd like to get some real strobes. I'm totally clueless regarding a bunch of the technical specs, but his graph showing the color temps staying the same thru the power range looks really nice. And then his thread on FM before the ban about the sync speed was awesome.
yeah, there's a basis for buying something :hsugh: "the graph looks really nice" :hsugh:

you can do a lot of stuff with a strobist setup, but if you feel like you need more power now (shooting outdoors a lot, overpowering the sun) then by all means. PCB supposedly has great customer service (i dont know any PCB lights, though i just ordered their ABR800 and i have a Vagabond II power pack for my other strobes), so you can't really go wrong. Everyone says they're pretty tough and lightweight. A ton of people use them so i'm sure youll be able to find help with them if you need it.

I have a friend with 2 Einstein heads and one AB1600 and he loves them all. I almost went that route, but i got a screaming deal on some Calumet (Bowens) heads and went that way instead.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
please tell us more, not sure what u mean
some things cost what they do for a reason? :dunno: Some things like flash duration, recharge time, color consistency, build quality, weather sealing, support, availability of modifiers (not usually a problem anymore).

for hobbyists and advanced amateurs/semi-pro, AB or other 'budget' lights are going to be fine. No sense is going all out when you dont know what you want/like/need yet.

koolaids

OH YEAH
Jul 21, 2006
When you go below 1/2 power on alien bees there's horrible colour casts in the lights as well
Even my ching chong china strobe doesn't do that

Zerosity

Like drinking ten lightnings!
OT Supporter
Jul 31, 2010
yeah, there's a basis for buying something :hsugh: "the graph looks really nice" :hsugh:

you can do a lot of stuff with a strobist setup, but if you feel like you need more power now (shooting outdoors a lot, overpowering the sun) then by all means. PCB supposedly has great customer service (i dont know any PCB lights, though i just ordered their ABR800 and i have a Vagabond II power pack for my other strobes), so you can't really go wrong. Everyone says they're pretty tough and lightweight. A ton of people use them so i'm sure youll be able to find help with them if you need it.

I have a friend with 2 Einstein heads and one AB1600 and he loves them all. I almost went that route, but i got a screaming deal on some Calumet (Bowens) heads and went that way instead.

I wasn't going to let the graph be my only decision and I'm a way's off because I'm still trying to learn with my current strobist setup. Thanks for the information though. Love learning from you guys.

IntheWorks

windin film.. takin pics
Jun 30, 2001
earth
When you go below 1/2 power on alien bees there's horrible colour casts in the lights as well
Even my ching chong china strobe doesn't do that

not with the einstiens.... the color temp is pretty consistent, or so I've read.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan