TECH advice for someone about to start learning PHP

Shayes

OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2008
Bay Area
so i want to build some site ideas i have, and im thinking i should learn PHP and MySQL in order to properly maintain them, instead of just trying to use wordpress for them. i want to at least give it a shot before i decide i may not need to learn it, but anyway, im hoping you guys could point me in the right direction

apparently the teachers at my CC suck for this course, so i think ima just buy a book for it, and learn on my own. any recommendations for intro to PHP books?

basically, i have an idea for a couple websites that are pretty basic but arent just blogs, they will require some actual scripts and programs and whatnot. i want to learn about basic PHP and MySQL and whatever else needed, but i dont want to make a career out of this, so i think i wont need advanced books on this topic.

also, i took a course in C++ and a course in Linux/UNIX, so i have basic programming skills, and none of this is foreign to me, but its the concepts of servers and databases that kinda confuses me.

lastly, if anyone wants to help a fellow oter out, and PM me and guide me along, maybe make a friend, im a very nice guy and would love to be somebodies protege. im not gonna bombard you with questions, but it always helps to have someone you can ask who would give you a quick answer. Please PM me, i always find ways to thank those that help me :wavey:

LowClass

Sep 5, 2007
USA
I started learning recently. I say start with te lynda.com courses first. then read books. Don't copy code, start by writing it from scratch with notepad++

TS
TS
Shayes

Shayes

OT Supporter
Aug 9, 2008
Bay Area
I started learning recently. I say start with te lynda.com courses first. then read books. Don't copy code, start by writing it from scratch with notepad++

it says $25/month. how many months until i feel comfortable to learn on my own?

LowClass

Sep 5, 2007
USA
it says $25/month. how many months until i feel comfortable to learn on my own?

Dont know i have all the videos i didnt do the subscription. But i found it is an easy way to learn esp if you can watch the videos on one screen and type on the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Theodor