GUN Advice I was given v. AF basic training

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
Just wanted to copypasta some advice I received about it, hoping some people can pick it apart and maybe share some discussion.

I just thought of some things for when you join the AF: they hold your letters for the first couple weeks of basic. I got two letters from David asking why I didn't write to him and I was writing twice a week. They hold them because they want you 100 percent focused. David said it's nice when they finally give the mail out because... most of them got a ton all at once. Make sure no one sends you anything like nakey photos (they will confiscate them before you get the letter and you'll get in trouble). The second thing - don't go in brand new sneakers. But don't take really crappy ones either. You'll be wearing them in the beginning. David's unit had to take a shower fully clothed with shoes when they first got there. He had just bought them. They were ruined. So don't waste the money on new ones.

(David went to basic from July - September of 1999), but David had to take his own sneakers. I think not talking back to the TI (training instructor - if that's what their still calling them now, lol) is kin...d of a given. I know you know they shave your head the day you get there. David said it hurts. They are really rough when they do it. The longer you are there, the more gentle they get when you get your hair cut. Oh - and don't wreak the bed when you sleep (i.e. gator roll in the covers) because you only have like 30 seconds to make it when you wake up. You aren't allowed to sleep on top of the covers either, so try to move as little as possible. David said if you have a mole on your head - know where it is so you can put your finger over it when they are shaving your head that first time - otherwise it will get shaved off (ouch!).

David said before you go, prep your immune system (take a lot of vitamins) because when one person gets a cold, it spreads like wildfire. You will get several uniforms and boots, but I'm not sure about sneakers. David said he thinks you'll get a pair of New Balance shoes. He got sneakers too, but not until the third day and he had to shower in his own shoes that first night. He said new people are called "rainbows" because they wear their own clothes until they get their uniforms (he got his on the third day).

David says make sure you know the info (addresses, phone numbers, etc) of the people you want to leave money/your estate to (like your SGLI - Servicemembers Group Life Insurance), etc because you will be filling out that paperwork there. H...e said a lot of people didn't know and the TIs were screaming at them the whole time there were on the phone trying to get it. So, it's better to already have it, because you aren't allowed to talk about anything other than the info if you are calling for that reason anyway. And your family or friend can hear the TI screaming at you the whole time.
Sorry if it's a little out of context, does anyone have anything to correct about this, or perhaps their own profound advice? :x: Leaving in 3 months

Burrito10

Jun 23, 2004
Arizona
I slept on top of my covers in basic, just used the pillow dust cover as a blanket and just made that in the morning.

idesofmarch

Jun 29, 2005
California
getting screaming at while talking on the telephone...when you get to the real air force you're liable to get a commendation for performing under that kind of duress

Kenny Powers

BIG ANGERY
OT Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
I slept on top of my covers in basic, just used the pillow dust cover as a blanket and just made that in the morning.

I remember we had some guy go home on Con leave so I stole his linens and made my bed with them. Slept on top of them with my own linens every night and then stashed my linens in a closet and tightened up the bed every morning. I always had plenty of time to get ready.

scottiemac

It's time to shoot some hot dogs!
Apr 25, 2005
NWPA
I did the pop tart method. Just slid in and out. When I was awake and would roll over, I'd do it so slightly and smooth as possible so I didn't mess up the bed.

Julio

They specifically told us multi vitamins and that sort of thing are not permitted mainly because they changed the color of your urine thus confusing you into thinking you are/are not hydrated and that's a big thing during basic.

Hahawhat?

Jan 11, 2008
We called the new flight the baby flight.

Other good advise, you have to write down all the money you have and the numbers on the money so don't bring lots of $1's. Even if you are athiest, go to some church. It is very relaxing and fun, it helps you relax from the stress for a few hours. If you get KP (kitchen prep) duty try not to go crazy eatting all the food. You will regret it by diner time. I remember losing track at breakfast but in breakfast alone I ate over 3K calories.

Have fun, it is the best/worst experience all in one.

Burrito10

Jun 23, 2004
Arizona
I did the pop tart method. Just slid in and out. When I was awake and would roll over, I'd do it so slightly and smooth as possible so I didn't mess up the bed.
I knew some people who did either that or slept in their sleeping bag ontop of the made bed. Once morning came around they just stuffed their sleeping bag in the stuff sack and that was it.

MouSe-05

Nov 28, 2009
The Burbs of Atlanta
First thread is bogus. None of that shit happens anymore. They don't hold your letters, you don't shower fully clothed, they're not rough when they shave your head. Hell, you don't even get screamed at when you eat anymore. Also, when you make your first initial phone call they give you a car to read off of so you don't fuck that shit up.

Take Vitamin C before you go, especially if you go in the winter. Just to help boost your immune system a bit. I never got sick in basic, and I went in the winter.

Most TIs won't let you sleep on top of the covers, hell some won't even let you poptart the damn thing. My TI didn't, we had to pull at least on side off each night, and remake the bed every morning.

When it comes to being a Rainbow you could get your uniform issue the first day, maybe the fifth. It just depends on scheduling. I got my uniforms the second day.

Burrito10

Jun 23, 2004
Arizona
Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Use hand sanitizer as much as you can cause pink eye goes around like the plague too

TS
TS
Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands. Use hand sanitizer as much as you can cause pink eye goes around like the plague too
I will, it makes a lot of sense. Everyone's coming from different places with different ecosystems and pollens and immunities and germs and whatnot.

I was to understand that they will give me a lot of shots to help boost my immunity, or am I being retarded?

TS
TS
Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla

Dec 23, 2006
East Bay, California
Also, when you make your first initial phone call they give you a car to read off of so you don't fuck that shit up.
Oh cool so I get an initial phone call? Not necessarily for forgetting a number I was supposed to know or whatever? Does this mean I get a chance to call my girlfriend? :wtc:Probably not because you also mentioned I would be reading off a card.

Thanks for answering my questions :hug: I'm sure it won't be too bad but any heads-ups are :bowdown:

DawnsKayBug

Oct 28, 2009
Take a bodywash/shampoo combo, Take 40 disposable razors When they get dirty throw it away. Gold Bond, Gel deodorant, No mess toothpaste, Stuff that cleans up easily. Im an Athiest but was a Chapel Aide. Do that,

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddunn9448