GUN AF Air Liaison Officer

jetblack

Nov 14, 2010
I considered going ALO before I commissioned a year ago (new AFSC that sent out requests for applications) but let myself be convinced out of it by a mentor as well as believing I wasn't physically ready at the time (shoulder injury). I'm going to try to get released from my current AFSC sometime this year in order to go through the selection process.

Does anyone here know a current or in-training 13L that could give me some first-hand knowledge about the career field and relevant training in preparation?

brackac

Activate Lurker Mode!
OT Supporter
Jul 16, 2001
Worked with ALO's over in Afghanistan, looks to be a interesting career.

TS
TS

jetblack

Nov 14, 2010
theres a wealth of info at look at the 13X forum they have a link to an ALO specific forum thats got even more info. good luck, its a needed career field so hopefuly you'll be on your way soon. whats your current afsc?

It's still pretty competitive from what I've heard. After initial screening, it's about a 30% selection rate at the final stage. Right now I'm a 21R1, Logistics.

TS
TS

jetblack

Nov 14, 2010
A couple of buddies of mine just graduated at hurlburt, what do you want to know? I'll shoot them some questions.

Biggest questions are what their lifestyle is like. From what I understand the vast majority of them are stationed with the Army pretty much for their career. Do they ever work with spec ops or SF, or just your basic infantry? I also was looking for some good advice on what the boards look for, as well as exercises I can do that will directly prepare for ALO training. I work out and I'm in good shape, I max the PT test except for the run (always just miss the mininum time) but I know that if I don't prepare there will be some stuff I don't know that I'll probably get destroyed on.

are you saying the slection rate is 30% because of dropouts/failures or that you could make it through the whole training and still not get selected?
here you go:

From the person I spoke to that made it to the 7 day phase (from what I understood, it was the last phase before starting actual ALO training), said 6 of the 18 who made it through were selected. He made it through, but they said he didn't think fast enough when tired/under pressure. That to me sounds fairly tight for an AFSC that is pretty critically manned, but I guess when compared to STO's and CRO's isn't that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan