After 48 Years, Democrats Endorse Nuclear Energy In Platform

sans_pants

I don't want any damn vegetables
OT Supporter
May 2, 2002

It took five decades, but the Democratic Party has finally changed its stance on nuclear energy. In its recently released party platform, the Democrats say they favor a “technology-neutral” approach that includes “all zero-carbon technologies, including hydroelectric power, geothermal, existing and advanced nuclear, and carbon capture and storage.”

That statement marks the first time since 1972 that the Democratic Party has said anything positive in its platform about nuclear energy. The change in policy is good — and long overdue — news for the American nuclear-energy sector and for everyone concerned about climate change. The Democrats’ new position means that for the first time since Richard Nixon was in the White House, both the Republican and Democratic parties are officially on record in support of nuclear energy. That’s the good news.

CommanderFish

OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2011
South Jersey

Simius The Monkey

Long Live The Republic
OT Supporter
Sep 7, 2005
Minnesota
Good. I hope this becomes more of a thing and new nuclear power plants are built.

Also, I hope they don't over hype the nuclear power plants and then underdeliver on their promises like they did the first go around that led to such a long backlash. Be realistic about the price, the risks and most importantly don't cut corners on the which will inevitably lead to super scary failures.

NoOneYouKnow

Mar 24, 2016
The house that hate built.
I'm not opposed to it, but that article is hardly objective reporting. He's way more eager to trash the other parts of the Democratic party's climate change platform than he is to show how nuclear can help win that fight. Probably because as he states any real change is "decades away and staggeringly expensive". He criticizes the Democrats for having only built a small amount of wind/solar facilities in CA, then follows up by trashing them for wanting to install what he deems to be too many solar panels and wind turbines over the next 5 years.

So nuclear is decades away, he thinks what the Democrats want to do in the meantime is stupid...what exactly are we left with?

Redsand187

OT Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
WA
How fast can nuclear facilities be brought online vs batteries? I thought it's like 10 years to get a nuclear facility built, but I guess no one has done it in forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan