LOVE Age difference.

korverftw

Jan 7, 2008
I know there are a few threads on this, but none with my specific age. I'm 22, about to graduate college. Turn 23 in May. She's 18 and about to graduate high school. She asked me out on a date. I said yes - I don't really mind the age gap and am all about having fun. But one of my female friends was disgusted.

What say ye?

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...
There are 4 years between me and my wife. At first, I thought it would be weird, but it turned out to not be at all. It all depends on the maturity of the female involved.

THoC

Feb 5, 2007
I know there are a few threads on this, but none with my specific age. I'm 22, about to graduate college. Turn 23 in May. She's 18 and about to graduate high school. She asked me out on a date. I said yes - I don't really mind the age gap and am all about having fun. But one of my female friends was disgusted.

What say ye?

serious? 23-18 is 5 yrs!

while ill be the first to be realistic and say this wont last forever..... when you are your age in most cases relationships dont.

you seem to be in that same mind frame by saying "I don't really mind the age gap and am all about having fun".

your friend is an idiot for thinking a 22/23 yr old dating an 18 yr old is disgusting.

i must belong in jail. im seeing a 23 yr old... im 33.

iwishyouwerebeer

you shut your cunt
Sep 1, 2006
I'm all about having fun. If it leads somewhere, I'm cool with that too. She's a pretty cool chick.

Then it's a fine idea, as long as she knows upfront though that you aren't looking to get serious with anyone. She could either be a total clinger or you may find a diamond in the rough who wants fun too :dunno:

TS
TS

korverftw

Jan 7, 2008
Yeah I pretty much agree. I don't really care what my friend thinks as long as this isn't some kind of social taboo or something.

Amanda Ann

Jan 31, 2007
FL
I think 4-5 years difference isn't a huge deal when two people are at the same points in their life. 4-5 years difference in age when one of the two is JUST graduating high school is a pretty big deal. A college graduate is (most times) at a completely different point in their life than someone just graduating high school.

If you're looking for fun - then I say go for it, but don't go into it having high expectations for a serious, LTR.

Kappa00

Pizza
Nov 25, 2008
I think 4-5 years difference isn't a huge deal when two people are at the same points in their life. 4-5 years difference in age when one of the two is JUST graduating high school is a pretty big deal. A college graduate is (most times) at a completely different point in their life than someone just graduating high school.

If you're looking for fun - then I say go for it, but don't go into it having high expectations for a serious, LTR.

/thread

PunkInDrublic

Aug 8, 2003
seattle
maturity hits a plateau and age matters more when you're younger. 5 years from an 18 year old is pretty significant. 5 years from 35 doesnt mean anything.

at the same time, 18 is 18. its legal. do what you want. but youre going to be sick of the girls shit before long.

IslanderOffRoad

Do you even lift kit?
Dec 23, 2003
Houston, Tx
Your female friend is jealous. You should piss her off even more by telling her you'd date her but she's too old.

My former roommate who's 24 started dating a 19 year old last semester. One of our female friends who's had a thing for him for a while won't stfu about how disgusting it is that he's dating a "baby"

She mad. and jelly.

Helios

Apr 14, 2006
Nyc <> Amsterdam <> SE MI

Unless you plan your life out to a T and get locked into what you're "supposed" to be doing at a particular age, this sort of stuff doesn't matter nearly as much as you make it seem.

antihero

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
NYC
serious? 23-18 is 5 yrs!

while ill be the first to be realistic and say this wont last forever..... when you are your age in most cases relationships dont.

you seem to be in that same mind frame by saying "I don't really mind the age gap and am all about having fun".

your friend is an idiot for thinking a 22/23 yr old dating an 18 yr old is disgusting.

i must belong in jail. im seeing a 23 yr old... im 33.

well.. not much more needs to be said.

maturity hits a plateau and age matters more when you're younger. 5 years from an 18 year old is pretty significant. 5 years from 35 doesnt mean anything.

at the same time, 18 is 18. its legal. do what you want. but youre going to be sick of the girls shit before long.

I actually had a summer fling with a 20 year old and was quite pleasantly surprised. She was pretty cool.

.... I'm 31 :mamoru:

PunkInDrublic

Aug 8, 2003
seattle
well.. not much more needs to be said.

I actually had a summer fling with a 20 year old and was quite pleasantly surprised. She was pretty cool.

.... I'm 31 :mamoru:

"fling"

theres no way you think a legit relationship could have come from it, right? anyone can stand an immature person for a finite period of time if they were "hot" or "fun" enough. but date her indefinitely? thats when 5 years means a lot at age 23

Helios

Apr 14, 2006
Nyc <> Amsterdam <> SE MI
"fling"

theres no way you think a legit relationship could have come from it, right? anyone can stand an immature person for a finite period of time if they were "hot" or "fun" enough. but date her indefinitely? thats when 5 years means a lot at age 23

"indefinitely"

Nothing should really mean that much at 23 in the first place, if it is, you're doing it completely wrong.

jesus, some of you people are talking like he's 33 or 43. :greddy:

Tevin

Sep 11, 2010
What say ye?

Age difference is nobody's business, really. But don't go into this with blinders on: You are both at very different stages of life and the likelihood of the relationship lasting long term is damn near zero.

The older you get, the less age difference is an issue. A 45 year old dating a 40 year old is not the same as a 23 and an 18. The "red flag" here is that when girls her age are attracted to older guys it's usually because they are looking for a dad/big brother type.

I'll bet a good sized stack of cash that this chick had a poor relationship with her father and/or had few if any positive male influences growing up.

If you want to go out on a few dates and see what happens, fine. What's the big deal? Maybe you are that one in a bazillion perfect match!

:wiggle:

Amanda Ann

Jan 31, 2007
FL
Unless you plan your life out to a T and get locked into what you're "supposed" to be doing at a particular age, this sort of stuff doesn't matter nearly as much as you make it seem.

Maybe, Maybe not, but I know that I was a completely different person at 18 vs. 23. It's not set in stone as some people just never grow out of that 'always want to party, career doesn't matter' mindset, but I think nearly everyone I know changed over those years also.

That being said, not every 23 year old knows what they want to do with their life, sure, but I think it's a safe to make a bold statement saying there's probably more of those 23 year olds who know what they want with their lives then there is 18 years old.

Figori

Taking BRC to the EXTREME. Bitch I operate.
OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
Somewhere near the Pentagon...
Got married at 22 and 19 (about a month before my 23rd Bday) She had completed one year of college, and I had finished 3 years and joined the military.

So, yes. It's about both people's maturity. But in this situation (trying to have fun and see where it goes), you have to look to the "younger" person as having a maturity issue. It's not always the case, but 80% of the time, it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan