Airplane crew.. is the Airbus A380 a failure?

Accords 4U2 NV

OT's Resident Desi
Oct 26, 2000
PantherNation
When these planes first came out about a decade ago, I was so damn excited and could not wait to be able to fly in one. Flown in a few of them since then and have always been impressed by them. I did not realize almost 2 years ago Airbus pulled the plug on them.

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200218115106-firsta380retired.jpg

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
yes they are. airbus incorrectly predicted the direction the domestic and international markets were headed. it ended up having too many seats that were too hard to fill.

Dodgers

2020 World Series Champions
OT Supporter
Mar 9, 2005
San Diego
853 passengers? In what markets would that make sense? The only domestic market I could think of would be LAX <--> JFK.

Reactions: T Moni

jeri534

OT Supporter
Jul 17, 2002
for the most part yes...none the less still a cooler plane...

absolute giants when you see them flying

Phx Cobra

Jul 18, 2006
AZ
Easier to just fly multiple smaller planes that are more fuel efficient and incorporate newer designs. Easier to refresh/update 300 seats/IFE/etc than is to do so for almost 900.

Vagabond

Nope.
OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
I find myself in America.
Sadly yes. I took one from LAX to Paris for business class and it was a dream flight.

Then on the way back we took a 747 - not nearly as nice for sure. And the radar failed so we had to dump our fuel and return for the night in Paris. Both flights were Air France.

Redsand187

OT Supporter
Nov 9, 2004
WA
853 passengers? In what markets would that make sense? The only domestic market I could think of would be LAX <--> JFK.
Any International hub and spoke route. Except for hub and spoke is obsolete with modern twin jets. The only reason it had any success was that Emirates routes every flight through Dubai. It makes a little bit of sense for Qantas due to the nature of their international routes, but not enough to support more than a dozen aircraft.

Reactions: Dodgers

vikingen

Redders. The Grey Wiggle. #Qatar2022
OT Supporter
Been on the Qantas and Emirates A380s

Qantas has parked them all indefinitely in the California desert somewhere due to covid and they say it will be years before they’ll be flown again .. travel needs to not only return but return to near normal

phatπŸ„

#meltdowns are NOT based off post count
Oct 9, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
it had luxury that only a fraction of the 1 percenters will experience (showers, apartments, couches etc). Aside from that it seemed like any other outdated mega jet from business class and behind.

never liked them since I always like flying point to point rather than through a mega hub

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright Β© 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026