Alex Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter

Nikuk

This simulation needs a reboot
OT Supporter
Jun 24, 2005
I'm tired boss
I have spent 0.0 seconds on movie sets but it seems like that would be the responsibility of the armorer on duty that day. Given the overwhelming majority of actors have less than zero experience with firearms, I don't understand why they'd be expected to identify a disabled weapon with whatever squib round they were going to use for the day vs live ammunition. I also don't understand why you'd ever have live ammunition anywhere near the set, especially on a day where a scene like this was going to be filmed. Charging the director also feels extremely desperate and out of place.

I don't make movies tho and Alec Baldwin's an asshole so if he hangs for this one no big loss.
Alec Baldwin was the guy responsible for bringing in the inexperienced armorer, he is also the producer responsible for the set, and there were some other machinations that occured that day which he was directly responsible for.

Iirc.

But thanks for playing.

SBrooks1

I Bomb Atomically
OT Supporter
Nov 28, 2002
Virginia
I have spent 0.0 seconds on movie sets but it seems like that would be the responsibility of the armorer on duty that day. Given the overwhelming majority of actors have less than zero experience with firearms, I don't understand why they'd be expected to identify a disabled weapon with whatever squib round they were going to use for the day vs live ammunition. I also don't understand why you'd ever have live ammunition anywhere near the set, especially on a day where a scene like this was going to be filmed. Charging the director also feels extremely desperate and out of place.
Yeah that's what I thought too. This should be 100% on the armorer.

Reactions: KingOfBabTouma

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
Alec Baldwin was the guy responsible for bringing in the inexperienced armorer, he is also the producer responsible for the set, and there were some other machinations that occured that day which he was directly responsible for.

Iirc.

But thanks for playing.
Aggressive way to explain it but alright I guess.

sp00n155

OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
DA trying to make a name for themselves. Will be hard to get a unanimous jury to convict on this charge. Will likely result in a plea to a lesser charge and not much time if any time in Prison.
I would be very surprised if Alec or the director are convicted of anything at all unless there is some sort of nefarious subplot we don't know about.

Reactions: Nikuk and Divine

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
In New Mexico, involuntary manslaughter is a fourth-degree felony that carries a maximum sentence of 18 months in prison.
and even then I don't think the 18 months has to be "Active" meaning it can be served on probation or spilt between jail and probation/parole

JacksonWhite

Apr 11, 2011
It was an accident. Let Baldwin write a check to the dudes family and move on. No need for criminal charges here

Reactions: Twinsen

veggie quesadilla

🌮: 4, 11, 18, 25
OT Supporter
Aug 6, 2010

I don't make movies tho and Alec Baldwin's an asshole so if he hangs for this one no big loss.
You're absolutely correct. The difference is that Baldwin was a producer of the film so it was his responsibility to ensure safety during production. He's also handled firearms in several films and should recognize when certain safety protocols are not being followed. But I don't know enough details about any of that stuff to really attest to his culpability.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

Phx Cobra

Jul 18, 2006
AZ
If he actually is convicted or pleas to something, he will not serve a day in jail, may house arrest, maybe huge fine, but dude ain't ending up in jail. He should, due to his oversight of the whole movie, he basically setup every step of the accident causation model.

chart2.png

Reactions: Nikuk

sp00n155

OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
You're absolutely correct. The difference is that Baldwin was a producer of the film so it was his responsibility to ensure safety during production. He's also handled firearms in several films and should recognize when certain safety protocols are not being followed. But I don't know enough details about any of that stuff to really attest to his culpability.
@Chuck Finley can we get a 🤷🏿‍♀️ react

And also a 🤔 while we're on it

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter

Iirc.

But thanks for playing.
Get this dangerous murderer off the streets imo

Reactions: TenSteel and Kafka

meyou

OT Supporter
Feb 20, 2005
I could see him getting like 90 days or something just to have some jail time to show for it

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.

Iirc.

But thanks for playing.

what about all the other producers?

Produced by
Alec Baldwin ... producer
Kc Brandenstein ... co-producer
Matt DelPiano ... producer
Tyler Gould ... executive producer
Matthew Helderman ... executive producer
Matthew Hutchins ... executive producer
Nathan Klingher ... producer
Anjul Nigam ... producer
Gabrielle Pickle ... line producer
Ryan Donnell Smith ... producer
Luke Taylor ... executive producer
Ryan Winterstern ... producer

you really think alec was the most personally involved in the set or hiring decisions for someone like an armorer? or was he just trying to get a production credit on his imdb because he co-wrote the story?

there were 5 different production companies associated with the movie, one of which is owned by ABC and alec is basically just an EP: "El Dorado Pictures is home to actor Alec Baldwin. "El Dorado Pictures develops scripted and unscripted projects under the ABC Studios banner. The production company’s development executive, Mallory Schwartz, oversees the production slate and Baldwin is the executive producer."

B-Line

Stand Up Philosopher
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
They’re not charging the director, they’re charging the armorer who is the person actually responsible.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy