Alex Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter

SickOfItAll

The Bartender
Jul 31, 2001
Houston, TX
well hopefully what actually happens is that the film industry wakes up and stops using real guns on set. it's already convincing enough with props; add in post production and then it's a wonder why you'd even have to use real guns at all

you'll never actually satisfy gunbros on realism anyway, so better to avoid the liability in the first place
Eh, even with post production, the differences in recoil, muzzle flash, etc. are pretty noticeable between prop guns/post-prod and real guns. That said, it's mostly gun people who notice - I wouldn't be upset whatsoever if this is the direction Hollywood took.

Reactions: calisteph6

B-Line

Stand Up Philosopher
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Eh, even with post production, the differences in recoil, muzzle flash, etc. are pretty noticeable between prop guns/post-prod and real guns. That said, it's mostly gun people who notice - I wouldn't be upset whatsoever if this is the direction Hollywood took.
Until you saw the next John Wick movie and it looked like Star Wars. Pew pew.

FutureMan

On the rights of your wealth, I disagree
OT Supporter
giphy.gif
Is that Pete and Pete? :rofl:

Reactions: Kafka

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
You're absolutely correct. The difference is that Baldwin was a producer of the film so it was his responsibility to ensure safety during production. He's also handled firearms in several films and should recognize when certain safety protocols are not being followed. But I don't know enough details about any of that stuff to really attest to his culpability.
I still don't know that being a producer makes him criminally liable simply because I wasn't on set and haven't looked into this case enough to know if there are any reports on the armorer's obvious or intentional negligence noted by staff on set. I have no idea, the court will figure that out I guess. Financially, however, I think it's perfectly fitting he hold the bag for any lawsuits and so on related to the incident.

That said. Expecting Alec to know anything about firearms just because he has waved a couple around in a few movies beforehand while being pretty outspoken about his disdain of firearms in his personal life is about as responsible and reasonable as expecting Angelina Jolie to be an accomplished computer hacker in real life due to her previous role portraying one. The shits make believe and actors are just professional liars and actual charlatans.I think this one firmly lands at the feet of the armorer who fucked up bigly here- If this was their first mistake or just the culmination of a ton of super obvious mistakes that should've had them ejected from the set before the incident that lead to the death of whoever, I have no idea and I suppose that's for the DA to prove and court to decide on at this point.

Actvs Dei

IG gunslingersaloon
OT Supporter
Apr 6, 2002
Austin
Dude was just exercising his constitutional right as an American to shoot someone and they're gonna charge him for that? Weak.

I think Alec wanted to see if he could kill someone and get away with it. It was on his bucket list

• Have more kids than Nick Cannon
  • Getaway with murder
  • Ride on a unicorn

• Haha
Reactions: Twinsen

Disguy

Batman > Moon Knight
OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2004
I have spent 0.0 seconds on movie sets but it seems like that would be the responsibility of the armorer on duty that day. Given the overwhelming majority of actors have less than zero experience with firearms, I don't understand why they'd be expected to identify a disabled weapon with whatever squib round they were going to use for the day vs live ammunition. I also don't understand why you'd ever have live ammunition anywhere near the set, especially on a day where a scene like this was going to be filmed. Charging the director also feels extremely desperate and out of place.

I don't make movies tho and Alec Baldwin's an asshole so if he hangs for this one no big loss.
Oh lol. So silly. I forgot in that the law said that if someone gives you a gun and you shoot someone its OK.

• Clown
Reactions: KingOfBabTouma

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
They’re not charging the director, they’re charging the armorer who is the person actually responsible.
Lol did you even read the first two posts? Not only did the assistant director get charged with manslaughter he apparently already agreed to plead guilty.

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
I still don't know that being a producer makes him criminally liable simply because I wasn't on set and haven't looked into this case enough to know if there are any reports on the armorer's obvious or intentional negligence noted by staff on set. I have no idea, the court will figure that out I guess. Financially, however, I think it's perfectly fitting he hold the bag for any lawsuits and so on related to the incident.

That said. Expecting Alec to know anything about firearms just because he has waved a couple around in a few movies beforehand while being pretty outspoken about his disdain of firearms in his personal life is about as responsible and reasonable as expecting Angelina Jolie to be an accomplished computer hacker in real life due to her previous role portraying one. The shits make believe and actors are just professional liars and actual charlatans.I think this one firmly lands at the feet of the armorer who fucked up bigly here- If this was their first mistake or just the culmination of a ton of super obvious mistakes that should've had them ejected from the set before the incident that lead to the death of whoever, I have no idea and I suppose that's for the DA to prove and court to decide on at this point.
bro there is like a 400 page thread on this already :rofl: why are you even taking the time to type all this shit out

B-Line

Stand Up Philosopher
OT Supporter
Mar 8, 2009
Los Angeles
Lol did you even read the first two posts? Not only did the assistant director get charged with manslaughter he apparently already agreed to plead guilty.
I didn’t read anything about the director. Just the armorer.

And yeah, the AD already plead guilty… which is bullshit. Probably couldn’t afford to go to trial.

But all the AD does is parrot the armorer. It’s not their job to check the gun, just to affirm that the armorer is stating that the armorer checked the gun.

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
I have spent 0.0 seconds on movie sets but it seems like that would be the responsibility of the armorer on duty that day. Given the overwhelming majority of actors have less than zero experience with firearms, I don't understand why they'd be expected to identify a disabled weapon with whatever squib round they were going to use for the day vs live ammunition. I also don't understand why you'd ever have live ammunition anywhere near the set, especially on a day where a scene like this was going to be filmed. Charging the director also feels extremely desperate and out of place.

I don't make movies tho and Alec Baldwin's an asshole so if he hangs for this one no big loss.
I'm not sure, but iirc the armorer wasn't even on set. Nobody should have been handling guns at all.

calisteph6

May 5, 2005
KRAPROOM
I don’t like Alex Baldwin but I don’t see how a jury would convict him on this. It will be interesting to see if it goes all the way to trial and to see what the DA presents.

skeletor25rs

It feels like real butter
Jan 26, 2001
NBTX

Show me where Angelina Jolie has accidentally computered someone to death or spoken out about people’s ownership of personal computers. Otherwise your comparison is flawed.

Swiftie

not a troll account
Jun 4, 2004
OKC
intent matters when it comes to the law, hth.
Involuntary manslaughter is defined as an unintentional killing that results either from recklessness or criminal negligence or from the commission of a low-level criminal act such as a misdemeanor. Involuntary manslaughter is distinguished from other forms of homicide because it does not require deliberation or premeditation, or even intent. Since these mental states are not required, involuntary manslaughter is the lowest category of homicide.

Reactions: Chuck Finley

Divine

OT Supporter
Dec 31, 2004
Charlotte
Involuntary manslaughter doesn’t require intent hence the involuntary HTH :tnod:
Still needs to show Baldwin acted with some gross negligence and acted "without due caution"

New Mexico: "Involuntary manslaughter consists of manslaughter committed in the commission of an unlawful act not amounting to felony, or in the commission of a lawful act [which] that might produce death in an unlawful manner or without due caution and circumspection."

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy