Alex Baldwin will be charged with involuntary manslaughter

PanzerAce

OT Supporter
Feb 25, 2006
I don't understand why prop guns can fire real bullets? They should be purpose made dummy weapons that can only use purpose made dummy rounds that just make smoke.

There are prop guns that are specifically modified to not be able to work with real ammo. Given the general shitshow nature of this production though it doesn't surprise me that they didn't bother with that.

Reactions: obscure/renegade

jrmcm

This world shall know pro-pain
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
not watching all of that. sorry. what i skimmed i can't say i agree with. you think it wouldn't be burdensome to expect every actor handling a gun in a movie to take out every bullet and inspect to make sure its not a live round vs a dummy? especially when there is no reason or explanation why there would be a live round on the set in the first place? i suppose it'd be easier with a revolver like this to do so, but think about a movie with a lot of automatic weapons, and dozens of people holding them in any given scene. it's someones responsibility to check before handing it to an actor, but its not the actor, right?

When you're literally talking about life and death, who gives a shit how burdensome it is. If it's too burdensome to do it safely and correctly, then don't fucking do it.

Reactions: emanuel

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
Its EVERYONE'S responsibility to check the gun. The armorer, the shooter, the person being shot at. Would you let you neighbor point a gun at you? Would you pull a trigger of a gun if you didn't verify it was empty / using blanks? Why does it being on a set exclude the actor from responsibility?

Also it is stated by staff / actors that they would shoot at targets between shoots.
Am I being paid millions of dollars for my actor neighbor to be handed a checked prop weapon by a professional movie armorer or am I just standing in my yard being assaulted with an irrelevant analogy at gunpoint like I am here

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
Its EVERYONE'S responsibility to check the gun. The armorer, the shooter, the person being shot at. Would you let you neighbor point a gun at you? Would you pull a trigger of a gun if you didn't verify it was empty / using blanks? Why does it being on a set exclude the actor from responsibility?

Also it is stated by staff / actors that they would shoot at targets between shoots.

i don't disagree with where you're coming from. but do you think bruce willis on the set of die hard unloaded every magazine and inspected each bullet to make sure none of them were accidentally a live round? would you expect him to?

i think he is more liable here as a producer than as an actor. its someone's responsibility to do the checking, and load each gun, but i don't think its an actors.

Reactions: ludewig

MiseryIndex

open your eyes child, your sea is changing.
Nov 9, 2000
heaven's fence.
When you're literally talking about life and death, who gives a shit how burdensome it is. If it's too burdensome to do it safely and correctly, then don't fucking do it.

it shouldn't be life and death as there shouldn't be actual bullets on sets in the first place. they shouldn't have hired someone inexperienced to handle this. and hopefully this changes how that all works.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

Disguy

Batman > Moon Knight
OT Supporter
Oct 26, 2004
i don't disagree with where you're coming from. but do you think bruce willis on the set of die hard unloaded every magazine and inspected each bullet to make sure none of them were accidentally a live round? would you expect him to?

i think he is more liable here as a producer than as an actor. its someone's responsibility to do the checking, and load each gun, but i don't think its an actors.
He is criminally liable because he pulled the trigger. It doesn't matter anything else. He states in the interview that he knew it wasn't a prop gun. He stated that he knew it is his responsibility to check the gun.

There is no defense for him. He is aware of the risks. He was aware of his responsibilities. He chooses not to be responsible. That is / was his choice.

If he thought the gun was a fake / prop or if he checked and thought it was a blank those are grounds for a legal defense.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

smell my finger

strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,
Aug 8, 2001
N NJ
itt ... no one knows exactly which evidence will be presented re: ALEX Baldwin, or why he's being charged. Maybe he was involved with using that same gun with live ammo dicking around earlier in the day. Maybe he forced the director to hire is armorer-friend that's incompetent. who knows? the info from the prosecution isn't release yet iirc.

at this point, speculation as to his liability is useless

obscure/renegade

Don't mind me.
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2004
Georgia
Just have him pay a $100 fine like Matthew Broderick.
giphy.gif

jrmcm

This world shall know pro-pain
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
it shouldn't be life and death as there shouldn't be actual bullets on sets in the first place. they shouldn't have hired someone inexperienced to handle this. and hopefully this changes how that all works.
It’s a real gun. It’s always potentially life and death. The end.

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
The amount of people itt that seem to think you can't point guns at people on a Hollywood production set as part of the filming process is pretty lols. Have any of you seen a movie in your life? Do you think all these guns being pointed at people in movies dating back to the literal start of movies are CGI in post?

They aren't. They're live firearms with dummy "squib" ammo put in dumb shit actors hands by trained professionals. When the set armorer isn't a trained professional, this happens. This is the court case at hand. The semantics of pointing a weapon isn't the debate, as that is a part of getting the shot. Sheesh you fucking imbeciles
If no real guns with real ammo are being pointed at real people on movie sets, then how did we end up here? :hmm:

Reactions: Stylerod

Joe_Cool

Judge Judy and Executioner
OT Supporter
Jun 30, 2003
Am I being paid millions of dollars for my actor neighbor to be handed a checked prop weapon by a professional movie armorer or am I just standing in my yard being assaulted with an irrelevant analogy at gunpoint like I am here
Good point. You probably know way more about filmmaking than George Clooney.

Ron

OT Supporter
Sep 21, 2003
The charge against him, the AP and the armorer is about creating an environment of negligence that was unsafe

If it were just about the single act I think your argument would be more reasonsble

Kozzy McKoz

To fuck around is human, to find out is divine
Apr 11, 2005
LIBERAL UTOPIA OF MASSACHUSETTS
He is criminally liable because he pulled the trigger. It doesn't matter anything else. He states in the interview that he knew it wasn't a prop gun. He stated that he knew it is his responsibility to check the gun.

There is no defense for him. He is aware of the risks. He was aware of his responsibilities. He chooses not to be responsible. That is / was his choice.

If he thought the gun was a fake / prop or if he checked and thought it was a blank those are grounds for a legal defense.

He said those things? His lawyer let him say that?

TheBoyWonder

OT Supporter
Jun 7, 2006
The Jersey Shore
i think the most frustrating part is how Alec seems to show very little sympathy for the woman he killed. everything i've heard from him seems to be trying to deflect. it's all me, me, me.

end of the day, he may not be a murderer, but he IS an enormous piece of shit.

Highlander_77

Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!!!
Dec 7, 2000
New England
well hopefully what actually happens is that the film industry wakes up and stops using real guns on set. it's already convincing enough with props; add in post production and then it's a wonder why you'd even have to use real guns at all

you'll never actually satisfy gunbros on realism anyway, so better to avoid the liability in the first place

I honestly don't understand how that didn't happen after Brandon Lee died during the filming of The Crow.

kmad86

Swine Epidemic Survival Crew '09
OT Supporter
Feb 12, 2003
Ft. Smith, AR
Gun nuts jizzing their pants right now
Why? I enjoy guns and own many, but wouldn’t ever find excitement in any of this.

I just don’t understand why there was live ammunition on the set in the first place. I don’t know much about this but assuming Baldwin has little firearm experience, I would put the negligence in the link that brought the live ammunition to a movie set. If he has little knowledge of real weapons I cannot expect him to use and understand basic safety.

borazhasleftthebuilding

half black lives matter, too
OT Supporter
Feb 11, 2005
in da forest

It's literally a prop gun

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.13.2 Copyright © 2000-2023 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olegarchy