Allow me to tell you about my in-laws rolling their Expedition pulling a 32-foot camper trailer:

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
My in-laws picked up a 37' trailer to pull with their Expedition about a year ago. Once, I advised them they were living dangerously and I was advised that I was a liberal pussy; FIL towed corn all the time in an 18-wheeler from farm to grain place, the salesman told them it was fine, "sway is not the problem, it's porpoising. You see, the anti-sway hitch somehow allows magic where the tongue weight doesn't matter. They called us Saturday for help because "it rolled", lol. They wanted us to help clean the inside of the rolled trailer so that it appraised for more. lol

The current list of excuses:
"The anti-sway hitch was supposed to prevent this, something must have broken!"
"She was passing 18-wheelers going 50-70mph, but there is a magic hitch!"
"The ball must have come out of the hitch!"
"The 18-wheelers were creating too much wind!"

The numbers:
  • Maximum Towing Capacity - 9200 lb. The maximum weight that Ford Expedition is allowed to tow. ...
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - 7300 lb. ...
  • Curb Weight - 5515 lb. ...
  • Payload Capacity - 1785 lb. ...
  • Front Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - 3700 lb. ...
  • Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - 4250 lb.
2011 Expedition has a ~700lb tongue weight limit, far south of the minimum to pull this trailer when dry.
The Expedition had 150lb generator (how did it not kill them?), heavy tool box and a few other items, two people and an 80lb dog so I'm guessing 900lb of shit in the SUV pulling it

Trailer weighs 7,500lb dry, they insist nothing was in it, though it took a car and truck to take everything out.
7,500l trailer needs ~800-1200lb of tongue weight
The truck squatted too much so they moved as much as they could to the back of the trailer
Anti-sway hitch was supposed to do magic where arithmetic fails

The miracle:
1663007721948.png
1663007763552.png

Last edited:

Wolf

Slow Suicide's No Way To Go
OT Supporter
Mar 23, 2003
San Jose, CA
The truck squatted too much so they moved as much as they could to the back of the trailer
:yikes:

kPqvjqP.png

aUEOvaV.gif

Last edited:

FDT

dynamic island
OT Supporter
Jan 3, 2006
PNW
My in-laws picked up a 37' trailer to pull with their excursion about a year ago. Once, I advised them they were living dangerously and I was advised that I was a liberal pussy; FIL towed corn all the time in an 18-wheeler from farm to grain place, the salesman told them it was fine, "sway is not the problem, it's porpoising. You see, the anti-sway hitch somehow allows magic where the tongue weight doesn't matter. They called us Saturday for help because "it rolled", lol. They wanted us to help clean the inside of the rolled trailer so that it appraised for more. lol

The current list of excuses:
"The anti-sway hitch was supposed to prevent this, something must have broken!"
"She was passing 18-wheelers going 50-70mph, but there is a magic hitch!"
"The ball must have come out of the hitch!"
"The 18-wheelers were creating too much wind!"

The numbers:
  • Maximum Towing Capacity - 9200 lb. The maximum weight that Ford Expedition is allowed to tow. ...
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - 7300 lb. ...
  • Curb Weight - 5515 lb. ...
  • Payload Capacity - 1785 lb. ...
  • Front Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - 3700 lb. ...
  • Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - 4250 lb.
2011 Expedition has a ~700lb tongue weight limit, far south of the minimum to pull this trailer when dry.
The Expedition had 150lb generator (how did it not kill them?), heavy tool box and a few other items, two people and an 80lb dog so I'm guessing 900lb of shit in the SUV pulling it

Trailer weighs 7,500lb dry, they insist nothing was in it, though it took a car and truck to take everything out.
7,500l trailer needs ~800-1200lb of tongue weight
Anti-sway hitch was supposed to do magic where arithmetic fails

The miracle:
View attachment 258318
View attachment 258319
excursion or expedition? I am confuse

Reactions: Sp33dealer

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
They really need better standards for towing numbers when selling vehicles in addition to better licensing/inspections. That’s why the whole pissing contest between manufacturers for torque and towing weight is a joke.
i'm sure as EV trucks get more and more popular there will be shit in the software that will detect a payload or trailer higher than maximum and limit you to like 20mph or something similar to a valet mode.

TS
TS
black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Wind and sway with that is killer.

I towed ~9k loaded with my old tundra for a bit. Had bad wind storm once and that was it... Went diesel F250.
Tongue weight cures all ailments. I once pulled an F250 on a steel trailer with a Nissan Extera from Plano, TX, to Des Moines, IA. It was sketchy, lol. I usually operated a 1 ton dually or 3/4 ton on a 3-car hauler.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza