Allow me to tell you about my in-laws rolling their Expedition pulling a 32-foot camper trailer:

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
Glad they're ok but yeah.... that was fucking stupid. My SO says I'm the tow police cause I'm always pointing out setups that are dangerous/stupid while we're out traveling.
I am the same. Also look at how people strap off-road vehicles. I always point out sketchy strapping/tie downs.

Reactions: skeletor25rs

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
They really need better standards for towing numbers when selling vehicles in addition to better licensing/inspections. That’s why the whole pissing contest between manufacturers for torque and towing weight is a joke.
The issue has nothing to do with vehicle mfg specs and everything to do with the RV and travel trailer Mafia doing everything they can to keep regulations non existent. You don't even have to get a CDL to drive the full size diesel pusher RV because of these insane lobbyists keeping regulation away

TS
TS
black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
The issue has nothing to do with vehicle mfg specs and everything to do with the RV and travel trailer Mafia doing everything they can to keep regulations non existent. You don't even have to get a CDL to drive the full size diesel pusher RV because of these insane lobbyists keeping regulation away
They're getting a motor-coach next, lol.

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
Tongue weight cures all ailments. I once pulled an F250 on a steel trailer with a Nissan Extera from Plano, TX, to Des Moines, IA. It was sketchy, lol. I usually operated a 1 ton dually or 3/4 ton on a 3-car hauler.
10k+ with an Xterra :rofl: how did you stop?

XR250rdr

OT Supporter
Mar 1, 2004
Ca
In California you do, but I doubt it's actually enforced.

ERock

I'm not a cat
OT Supporter
Jan 9, 2002
SoCal
In California you do, but I doubt it's actually enforced.
Only enforced if there is an accident iirc.

Same with very large 5th wheels. Supposed to have an endorsement. But I don't know anyone who does.

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
Good cause that's what I'm upgrading to next.... lol

Dim

I'm Lost, Help Me
Aug 26, 2004
California
Hate towing stuff like that with 1/2 ton trucks and suv's.

My 25 year old 1 ton GMC only has a 10K lb tow rating, less than many modern half ton trucks. But when I put my 35' camper behind it, doesn't squat, doesn't sway, doesn't hardly know its back there unless you go up a hill.

I find that up to about 5K lbs or so a modern 1/2 ton vehicle does really well, better than my old GMC (better power, more comfort, etc). But start getting towards 10k lbs and the extra stability of the bigger, heavier truck just makes a world of difference.

Ranger-AO

IED Hunter
OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2004
A bad place
My in-laws picked up a 37' trailer to pull with their Expedition about a year ago. Once, I advised them they were living dangerously and I was advised that I was a liberal pussy; FIL towed corn all the time in an 18-wheeler from farm to grain place, the salesman told them it was fine, "sway is not the problem, it's porpoising. You see, the anti-sway hitch somehow allows magic where the tongue weight doesn't matter. They called us Saturday for help because "it rolled", lol. They wanted us to help clean the inside of the rolled trailer so that it appraised for more. lol

The current list of excuses:
"The anti-sway hitch was supposed to prevent this, something must have broken!"
"She was passing 18-wheelers going 50-70mph, but there is a magic hitch!"
"The ball must have come out of the hitch!"
"The 18-wheelers were creating too much wind!"

The numbers:
  • Maximum Towing Capacity - 9200 lb. The maximum weight that Ford Expedition is allowed to tow. ...
  • Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) - 7300 lb. ...
  • Curb Weight - 5515 lb. ...
  • Payload Capacity - 1785 lb. ...
  • Front Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - 3700 lb. ...
  • Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) - 4250 lb.
2011 Expedition has a ~700lb tongue weight limit, far south of the minimum to pull this trailer when dry.
The Expedition had 150lb generator (how did it not kill them?), heavy tool box and a few other items, two people and an 80lb dog so I'm guessing 900lb of shit in the SUV pulling it

Trailer weighs 7,500lb dry, they insist nothing was in it, though it took a car and truck to take everything out.
7,500l trailer needs ~800-1200lb of tongue weight
The truck squatted too much so they moved as much as they could to the back of the trailer
Anti-sway hitch was supposed to do magic where arithmetic fails

The miracle:
View attachment 258318
View attachment 258319
Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly:
- Your FIL was a truck driver and routinely carried heavy loads in a trailer
- Said expert MOVED WEIGHT TO THE BACK because too much weight on the tongue
- Said idiot then proceeds to blame everything/everyone but himself.

:rofl:

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
When I had a camper, the camper forums always annoyed me because there were so many guys that acted like you needed an F450 Super Duty to tow a 20' trailer.

But in this case, your inlaws are dumbasses and that Expedition was dangerously too small for that trailer.

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
When I had a camper, the camper forums always annoyed me because there were so many guys that acted like you needed an F450 Super Duty to tow a 20' trailer.

But in this case, your inlaws are dumbasses and that Expedition was dangerously too small for that trailer.
The Tow Police is a real thing. lol

That said, you see people on those forums CONSTANTLY asking if they can tow their new fifth-wheel with their F150.

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
The Tow Police is a real thing. lol

That said, you see people on those forums CONSTANTLY asking if they can tow their new fifth-wheel with their F150.

Yeah, that always annoyed me. "What do you mean I can't put a 5th wheel hitch on my F150 and tow this? The unloaded gross vehicle weight...."

I live around a couple of long term campgrounds, and in the fall the local facebook groups are shitted up with people trying to lowball getting their 40' travel trailer towed back to their house because they don't have anything to tow it with and are too cheap to go rent a big truck from Hertz. "$200? To tow my trailer 10 miles? I'll just do it with my ford ranger"

Reactions: victor77
TS
TS
black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly:
- Your FIL was a truck driver and routinely carried heavy loads in a trailer
- Said expert MOVED WEIGHT TO THE BACK because too much weight on the tongue
- Said idiot then proceeds to blame everything/everyone but himself.

:rofl:

-FIL was a farmer who pulled a trailer full of corn 5-miles at a time, making himself an expert on pulling a travel trailer with an SUV.
-yes, but he made a sale
-yes

• Haha
Reactions: cjonesy22002

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022