Allow me to tell you about my in-laws rolling their Expedition pulling a 32-foot camper trailer:

iLLt3ck

Aug 1, 2002
Pitted, so pitted
They are unable to be helped. If you like, I can tell you about the time he pointed a gun at his daughters and then at his head because we allowed him to pass-out drunk, sleeping through fireworks.
giphy.gif

Dusty Busterson

OT Supporter
Sep 19, 2007
Las Vegas
i'm sure as EV trucks get more and more popular there will be shit in the software that will detect a payload or trailer higher than maximum and limit you to like 20mph or something similar to a valet mode.
Really surprised nobody has come up with a load detecting truck bed that can tell you how much weight is in the back or is being pulled on a trailer.

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
It's been really entertaining to hear a man and woman who can take no responsibility, ever, explain this to insurance.

So how has the insurance not just dropped them and denied the claim?

The tow vehicle was under spec for what it was towing. Seems like an easy open and shut case for an insurance company.

Reactions: black jesus

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Sorry man, you're telling me your FIL talks to you like that and you still helped him?

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
Really surprised nobody has come up with a load detecting truck bed that can tell you how much weight is in the back or is being pulled on a trailer.
rivian's system knows how much weight is on each wheel. there's no way they aren't already doing it.

and the new lightning asks you for trailer weight so it can calculate reduced range... i'm sure it can figure that out on its own as well.

Reactions: Dusty Busterson

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
So how has the insurance not just dropped them and denied the claim?

The tow vehicle was under spec for what it was towing. Seems like an easy open and shut case for an insurance company.
that isn't how it works, otherwise companies would deny claims all the time.

Colleen

Apr 3, 2002
🇨🇦
Jesus this is why I'm more scared of other people on the road than myself. They're lucky they didn't hurt anyone or themselves.

Also why buying used things isn't always the best lmao people always find a way to fuck things up

tommylightning

Setting the timer to 2:15
Aug 25, 2001
You Betcha State
They really need better standards for towing numbers when selling vehicles in addition to better licensing/inspections. That’s why the whole pissing contest between manufacturers for torque and towing weight is a joke.
Most people get focused on the whole weight part of towing. Towing a 7000 utility trailer is much different than a 7000 travel trailer. Then add in height and length of a travel trailer. It’s like the difference between a jib and a spinnaker

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026