Allow me to tell you about my in-laws rolling their Expedition pulling a 32-foot camper trailer:

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Yeah, I wouldn't be at Christmas tbh. :o

Its the only family thing we go to on her side of the family. And we only do that because I put my foot down and said we are not going to any of her family events as long as her piece of shit pedophile cousin is invited. That motherfucker tried to take one of my girls in the bathroom with him when they were 3. I should have broken his fucking face then, but I was so shocked at the situation it took me a bit to process it.

So her mom has us over for christmas breakfast every year.

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Its the only family thing we go to on her side of the family. And we only do that because I put my foot down and said we are not going to any of her family events as long as her piece of shit pedophile cousin is invited. That motherfucker tried to take one of my girls in the bathroom with him when they were 3. I should have broken his fucking face then, but I was so shocked at the situation it took me a bit to process it.

So her mom has us over for christmas breakfast every year.
Jesus Christ. I would be in jail. How has he not been disowned?

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
Jesus Christ. I would be in jail. How has he not been disowned?

Everyone in the family knows. He's like 25 or 26 now. His parents refuse to acknowledge that he has mental health issues or any sort of a problem. His dad (my wife's uncle) wouldn't talk to her about it at all when she tried to discuss it. So she went to her grandma, who wouldn't talk about it. They tried to gaslight my wife into thinking nothing was wrong and it was her. I said fuck that, I will shout this shit from the mountaintops, we're not the fucking pedophiles and we did nothing wrong. They are protecting a piece of shit predator.
Apparently get got busted a few years ago getting a hummer from a 12 year old mentally handicapped girl that lives down the street from him.

The whole family is fucked up. His older brother ended up not getting married because his ex was mad that he refused to do less cross-fit. Literally 6-8 hours a day at the gym, every day. She asked him to tone it down to help with wedding prep so he dumped her.

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
Most people get focused on the whole weight part of towing. Towing a 7000 utility trailer is much different than a 7000 travel trailer. Then add in height and length of a travel trailer. It’s like the difference between a jib and a spinnaker
It doesn't help that RV dealers only ask the total towing capacity that your vehicle has, if even that. And there are a lot of acronyms which can be overwhelming at first, and most people don't know enough to do the research themselves. Dealers won't talk to you about tongue weight and payload capacity. I straight up asked our sales guy about those and he just said "oh nobody ever asks about that" and changed the subject. When we started looking we had a RAM 1500, he tried to sell us a 30ft trailer that was way over our payload limits. The truck had a towing capacity of ~11,000lbs, and this trailer was like 9500lbs so he insisted we'd be fine.

We eventually bought a 26ft ultralight that was within all of the truck's specs, but highway towing was still an uncomfortable white-knuckle experience so we upgraded to a 2500 diesel and now it tows like a dream. Lesson learned, always have more truck than you need for the trailer. I can't fathom how people feel like it's ok to drive down the road in a overloaded vehicle towing a long trailer.

There are plenty of tools to help figure out what you can and can't tow.

Reactions: cjonesy22002

I<3URANUS

I can ride my bike with no handlebars.
OT Supporter
Sep 17, 2002
Dallas, TX
Everyone in the family knows. He's like 25 or 26 now. His parents refuse to acknowledge that he has mental health issues or any sort of a problem. His dad (my wife's uncle) wouldn't talk to her about it at all when she tried to discuss it. So she went to her grandma, who wouldn't talk about it. They tried to gaslight my wife into thinking nothing was wrong and it was her. I said fuck that, I will shout this shit from the mountaintops, we're not the fucking pedophiles and we did nothing wrong. They are protecting a piece of shit predator.
Apparently get got busted a few years ago getting a hummer from a 12 year old mentally handicapped girl that lives down the street from him.

The whole family is fucked up. His older brother ended up not getting married because his ex was mad that he refused to do less cross-fit. Literally 6-8 hours a day at the gym, every day. She asked him to tone it down to help with wedding prep so he dumped her.
What the fuck.

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
It doesn't help that RV dealers only ask the total towing capacity that your vehicle has, if even that. And there are a lot of acronyms which can be overwhelming at first, and most people don't know enough to do the research themselves. Dealers won't talk to you about tongue weight and payload capacity. I straight up asked our sales guy about those and he just said "oh nobody ever asks about that" and changed the subject. When we started looking we had a RAM 1500, he tried to sell us a 30ft trailer that was way over our payload limits. The truck had a towing capacity of ~11,000lbs, and this trailer was like 9500lbs so he insisted we'd be fine.

We eventually bought a 26ft ultralight that was within all of the truck's specs, but highway towing was still an uncomfortable white-knuckle experience so we upgraded to a 2500 diesel and now it tows like a dream. Lesson learned, always have more truck than you need for the trailer. I can't fathom how people feel like it's ok to drive down the road in a overloaded vehicle towing a long trailer.

Not gonna lie, plenty of times I had our 24' travel trailer packed to the gills with shit, and a truckbed full of firewood in my 1500 Silverado V6. But I kept it under 50 on back roads to get to the campground.

• Haha
Reactions: victor77
TS
TS
black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
What.the.fuck. :rofl:

I'd probably troll them with a text "guys I'm nervous if you sell that to someone they will die in another accident "
We already attempted to appeal to reason on this one, it failed. They're about to cut a check for an F450 based RV and trying to salvage the cattle guard, anti-sway hitch, spare tire, TPMS system, etc. I had to get super serious when we went out to help them about not salvaging leftover food. Dude still snuck home steak and potatoes in my trunk over a 2-hour drive home, then ate it.

tommylightning

Setting the timer to 2:15
Aug 25, 2001
You Betcha State
You said they recommended 1 foot per 4-5 inches of wheelbase. I was using a 4Runner (because I already knew the wheelbase) as an example of why that recommendation seems ridiculous.
Yes…Fords recommendation for the expedition. There are two different wheelbase options for an expedition. Plus the maximum trailer towing weight for a 4Runner is 5000 pounds

TS
TS
black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
Most people get focused on the whole weight part of towing. Towing a 7000 utility trailer is much different than a 7000 travel trailer. Then add in height and length of a travel trailer. It’s like the difference between a jib and a spinnaker
Yeah, I think it's the height and all the axle height which makes them so dangerous.

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
What the fuck.

Apparently they are doing this because "we don't know everything."

However, based on what I've put together "we don't know everything" means "we are actually protecting even more predators" because the cousin is fucked up because of his older brother molesting him most of his childhood. And the older brother is like that because the dad molested him. So yeah, we don't go near them anymore. I made it clear to my wife that it is a hill I will die on, and her family is dead to me. I used to be super close to her other uncle, but after he said "I don't want to rock the boat and piss anyone off" by acknowleding that this cousin tried to do what he tried, they are all write offs. I wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
Not gonna lie, plenty of times I had our 24' travel trailer packed to the gills with shit, and a truckbed full of firewood in my 1500 Silverado V6. But I kept it under 50 on back roads to get to the campground.
TBH the 1500 pulled that trailer just fine on sideroads and up to about 60MPH on the highway, but as soon as there was a good crosswind or semis started flying by, we got pushed all over the place. Also we take trips to lots of places in the mountains, so the extra torque and engine braking of the diesel really helps.

Manthrax

Jan 1, 2007
Merryland
i'm sure as EV trucks get more and more popular there will be shit in the software that will detect a payload or trailer higher than maximum and limit you to like 20mph or something similar to a valet mode.
NOT IN MY AMERICA

But i know the F-150 (might only be Lightning, not sure) can detect payload weight and tell you in the dash screen.

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006
A utility trailer might weight the same but a TT is a huge sail behind you catching the wind and pulling your truck all over the place if it's not able to control it.

Nothing like Interstate 75 sunday morning after camping, going over Jellico mountain. Strap in kids, we're redlining this bitch all the way up to the top. KICKER INTO 2ND!

• Haha
Reactions: Ranger-AO

lugoismad

OT Supporter
Jul 22, 2006

When I bought my travel trailer, the sales person tried to tell me as long as the UVWR of the trailer was under what the truck could tow, I was golden.

Reactions: victor77

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamedali2022