Allow me to tell you about my in-laws rolling their Expedition pulling a 32-foot camper trailer:

TS
TS
black jesus

black jesus

OT Supporter
Apr 30, 2002
Denton, TX
It doesn't help that RV dealers only ask the total towing capacity that your vehicle has, if even that. And there are a lot of acronyms which can be overwhelming at first, and most people don't know enough to do the research themselves. Dealers won't talk to you about tongue weight and payload capacity. I straight up asked our sales guy about those and he just said "oh nobody ever asks about that" and changed the subject. When we started looking we had a RAM 1500, he tried to sell us a 30ft trailer that was way over our payload limits. The truck had a towing capacity of ~11,000lbs, and this trailer was like 9500lbs so he insisted we'd be fine.

We eventually bought a 26ft ultralight that was within all of the truck's specs, but highway towing was still an uncomfortable white-knuckle experience so we upgraded to a 2500 diesel and now it tows like a dream. Lesson learned, always have more truck than you need for the trailer. I can't fathom how people feel like it's ok to drive down the road in a overloaded vehicle towing a long trailer.

There are plenty of tools to help figure out what you can and can't tow.

You're here today to buy a huge fucking travel trailer for your half ton truck? Well, what if I told you that by spending just a little more money, you could get a anti-sway hitch that will allow me to collect additional commission on both the trailer and the hitch while sending you home with a death-trap to sleep in while getting 4mpg?

tommylightning

Setting the timer to 2:15
Aug 25, 2001
You Betcha State
It doesn't help that RV dealers only ask the total towing capacity that your vehicle has, if even that. And there are a lot of acronyms which can be overwhelming at first, and most people don't know enough to do the research themselves. Dealers won't talk to you about tongue weight and payload capacity. I straight up asked our sales guy about those and he just said "oh nobody ever asks about that" and changed the subject. When we started looking we had a RAM 1500, he tried to sell us a 30ft trailer that was way over our payload limits. The truck had a towing capacity of ~11,000lbs, and this trailer was like 9500lbs so he insisted we'd be fine.

We eventually bought a 26ft ultralight that was within all of the truck's specs, but highway towing was still an uncomfortable white-knuckle experience so we upgraded to a 2500 diesel and now it tows like a dream. Lesson learned, always have more truck than you need for the trailer. I can't fathom how people feel like it's ok to drive down the road in a overloaded vehicle towing a long trailer.

There are plenty of tools to help figure out what you can and can't tow.

When I sold Fords, the owner of the dealership sent me to trailer towing to school. It was a Ford certified program. The best was when the RV sales people would tell their customers that a flat front gooseneck trailer would be OK in a short box super duty.

Reactions: skeletor25rs

cowboyrps13

couchlock loves to lick my booty hole
OT Supporter
Aug 4, 2002
NC
:rofl:

as much time as i've spent at salvage yards i can hear all the poor ghetto ass pickup lines from here
ive only been told about one who was obnoxious. im sure there have been some good ones though. especially the hispanics that are there. her pitbull and the guy who helps keep a lot of it in check.

stonesthrow

Grand puba and dattie, ridin shotty in the maserat
OT Supporter
Jan 4, 2008
good. fuck your inlaws for driving around in a car that looks like it belongs to the police

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FutureMan

cowboyrps13

couchlock loves to lick my booty hole
OT Supporter
Aug 4, 2002
NC
that site is wrong for NC. its definitely being safe.

there is an exemption for personal, not for hire vehicles.

Exemptions​

Vehicles for personal use not for hire, military vehicles, Emergency Vehicle, farm vehicles (that meet all exemption requirements), Operated by farmer or employees for the exclusive use of farm, used for the transport of agricultural products, supplies or equipment to and from the farm, not used for hire, and used within 150 miles of the farmer's farm.

Reactions: victor77

herpes

OT Supporter
Jun 4, 2005
dfw
ive only been told about one who was obnoxious. im sure there have been some good ones though. especially the hispanics that are there. her pitbull and the guy who helps keep a lot of it in check.
thing I miss the most about going out there were the cholas out there sweating in tight ass clothes and high heels while their man is trying to take off a brake booster or some shit. :rofl: stay your ass home he ain't gonna fuck anyone at al's pick u part

cyclaptor

OT Supporter
Sep 8, 2006
Arlington Texas
Why not? An oldsmobile can do it :mamoru2:

AVEDOlds-Trailer.jpg

wizurd

Ritardo 4 Prezident
OT Supporter
Mar 7, 2002
Las Vegas
I have zero interest in ever owning a camping trailer and hanging out in the woods for a weekend.

Buddy of mine just dropped 100k on a fifth wheel and 130k on a f350 and I’m like bro we live on the ocean, do you know how killer of a boat you could have had??

You obviously do not know the intrinsic value of posting shitty pictures to instagram that gets 13 likes.

sp00n155

You underestimate the insignificance of my penis
OT Supporter
Jan 30, 2006
Bisbee, AZ
I used to make multiple runs to the city landfill every week and there was a 6/10 that worked the scale house. I asked her what a woman like her was doing in a dump like this once and she slammed the window 🤣

Perfect Speed

Software and Cars
OT Supporter
Apr 8, 2006
PHL>ABQ>SEA>CLT
Glad they're fine, but if they don't learn a lesson from this and do the same shit later, I'd have zero sympathy for them.

It's all math, and if you can do math, there's a TON of calculators on line for this shit... inexcusable to be honest

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
digimarkactanza