Any EDI People Here?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. cmsurfer

    cmsurfer ºllllllº

    Jun 6, 2003
    Likes Received:
    We are using an application called Desktop EDI to send and receive documents to our customers. Within the software I have setup templates for each customer that I send stuff to. Right now the data entry is killing me. Is is very tedious and very easy to make a mistake.

    I'm looking for some kind of way to somehow create the documents outside of the software and then import them into the program to send. I'm sure there is a way, but I'm clueless as to where to start.

    Anyone have any ideas that could help me get going?

    I was hoping to setup some kind of Excel file where I could fill in the required data and then import it into the software to send. If it helps, the data can be imported and exported as *GE Flat file, EDI, Non-EDI, Xlate Flat File, and XML.

    I'd appreciate any help since this would make a bug part of my job much easier to do.
  2. Coottie

    Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

    Jun 6, 2006
    Likes Received:
    I did something similar but I used an EDI type program provided by our accounting software development company and Excel. Basically, I would enter data into one worksheet, compare it against contract terms in another worksheet (and note any differences between expected payments and actual payments) then forward just the data needed into a final worksheet that I would use to upload all of the info into our accounting program.

    The final worksheet was set up so that each column mapped to a data field in a table and each row was considered a tuple in that table. I did have to allow blank columns for the system generated keys to be inserted.

    So once I inserted the data, checked the payments, I'd have this worksheet with all the data coming from the other worksheets....however it contained formulas NOT data. So I had to copy and <paste special> then select values to get a sheet with the actual data to be uploaded. I'd then save just that worksheet, not the entire workbook (a/k/a Excel file) as a csv file.

    It was then a simple matter to FTP the csv file to our server and execute the process to read in the data to the table. Before committing the updates, I was able to run reports and look for any issues that might have come up (such as values in the wrong columns, extraneous characters, etc.). This was an important part because until I got all the bugs worked out I was regularly finding things that needed to be corrected.

    The next step to increasing efficiency was to simply get a data file from the people paying us and read it directly into Excel. Unfortunatly for the company, they promoted me and I never added that functionality.

    I'm not sure if any of that helps but post your specific issues and I'll try to provide some insight if I'm able.

Share This Page