Any homebuilders / remodelers in here? Kitchen question

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
WTF is with all of these houses having ovens with stupid under-microwave fans that are *right next to* an exterior wall?

Look at the attached photo. Why is this oven not over by where the dishwasher is, with a hood venting outside?

2021-01-28_OvenWTF.png

My mind is boggled. Especially when it's clear this kitchen has recently been remodeled. If I moved in here I would have to RE-remodel it just to get the damned fumes out. It's flabbergasting.

Since I see so many houses this way, there must be a logical reason I am overlooking. Sure, a hood might add a few hundred bucks but is that the only reason?

Moonlight Graham

LFGM
OT Supporter
Jul 11, 2004
🦀🦈🏖
Our oven is on the wall opposite of the exterior wall so when we got rid of the electric cooktop and microwave above for a 6 burner and a hood, we had to run the vent up and then over the entire kitchen to vent outside. Stupid layout.

Reactions: Accords 4U2 NV

Accords 4U2 NV

OT's Resident Desi
Oct 26, 2000
PantherNation
The kitchen set up in my house is equally shitty. We have recirc microwave above the stove and it is pretty much worthless. Can't even create a new vent without extensive reno because on the other side of the wall is the master bedroom and upstairs is the guest bedroom.

Reactions: Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham

LFGM
OT Supporter
Jul 11, 2004
🦀🦈🏖
The kitchen set up in my house is equally shitty. We have recirc microwave above the stove and it is pretty much worthless. Can't even create a new vent without extensive reno because on the other side of the wall is the master bedroom and upstairs is the guest bedroom.
luckily it was just attic space above our kitchen

amalgamas

OT Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Somewhere, AZ
That doesn't look like it is a recirculating type so it likely does vent outside. I assume the duct just goes up and left, or maybe just straight up.
most of them are going to go straight up, if they vent at all.

A lot of new homes won't even bother installing an actual vent line to their hoods.

I know a bunch that I looked at, new construction, last year didn't have them.

Reactions: Tupac

j1zzn1t

Dec 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
it's likely vented through the roof, most likely an aesthetic or functional layout choice rather than simply finding the shortest distance to the vent. Most kitchens want to have a triangle layout from the sink to fridge to stovetop.

MrBlonde

OT Supporter
Jan 12, 2002
:wisconsin:
I'm working on venting mine outside now. previously we had a good that didn't vent out and we decided to move the oven and add a microwave/exhaust. Make sure the exterior vent is an appropriate distance from that window if you decide to move things.

JoeDirte

OT Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
FL
WTF is with all of these houses having ovens with stupid under-microwave fans that are *right next to* an exterior wall?

Look at the attached photo. Why is this oven not over by where the dishwasher is, with a hood venting outside?

My mind is boggled. Especially when it's clear this kitchen has recently been remodeled. If I moved in here I would have to RE-remodel it just to get the damned fumes out. It's flabbergasting.

Since I see so many houses this way, there must be a logical reason I am overlooking. Sure, a hood might add a few hundred bucks but is that the only reason?
That's the reason. The microwave in that location can still have a vent kit attached to it and route to the outside wall or through the roof (preferably wall though).

TS
TS
JaimeZX

JaimeZX

Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew
Nov 7, 2005
Back in VA
* Unfortunately that particular Zillow ad didn't show the exterior of the house to see if there was a vent outside, some of you guys make a good point there.

* Very familiar with the "work triangle," but a hood venting outside would be more important than a triangle, which in the case of my example still exists regardless.

* This kitchen was on the lower of two floors, so it clearly wasn't going up into an attic.

* I'll accept the comment that this particular example doesn't appear to have a kitchen exhaust, but I have been in plenty of houses where the fan exhausts back into the kitchen. Dumb. Literally should be against the law.

TheEvil1

Hell is other people
OT Supporter
Jul 4, 2003
BFE NY
* I'll accept the comment that this particular example doesn't appear to have a kitchen exhaust, but I have been in plenty of houses where the fan exhausts back into the kitchen. Dumb. Literally should be against the law.

i 100% agree, shits fucking dumb

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.11.2 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fx.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jexic84026