ART Any "hot deals" on memory?

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Between my jump to raw :)fawk: Ken Rockwell) and my constant use of burst mode, I'm going through memory like crazy. My one, 4GB Ultra just isn't cutting it anymore. :rofl:

Know of any hot deals?

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Not particularly hot, but I usually go with the Transcend Class 10 cards: Transcend 8gb Class 10: $14

It looks like it went up in price though...usually it's only $12. It's still a good deal to me, considering that I recall buying 256mb and 512mb cards thinking they were the shit for more than that. :rofl:

TS
TS
YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun

Sep 6, 2006
Houston, TX
Thanks.

I've always use Sandisk cards...really for no other reason than that is what they had at Best Buy. As I get more inovled in photography I am spending more and more $$$ on gear and finding a good deal is more important.

Apparently people are happy with the other brands? Adata and Transcend? Pny?

I'm sure there are other brands that are just as good, or even better...just never really looked into it.

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Though Sandisk is one of those brands you never really have to worry about, Transcend has treated me well. They have baller reviews, are well priced, and quick. The higher speed will definitely benefit you when you're shooting in burst mode and it's a necessity for video.

Transcend also has a lifetime warranty so you just have to go online, register for the RMA, mail it back, and they'll send you a new one. I still, however, prefer to shoot with multiple 8gb cards as opposed to 16 or 32's. I'd rather keep everything spread out in case one dies, I lose one, etc.

MawcDrums

Aug 17, 2004
Zebes
Though Sandisk is one of those brands you never really have to worry about, Transcend has treated me well. They have baller reviews, are well priced, and quick. The higher speed will definitely benefit you when you're shooting in burst mode and it's a necessity for video.

Transcend also has a lifetime warranty so you just have to go online, register for the RMA, mail it back, and they'll send you a new one. I still, however, prefer to shoot with multiple 8gb cards as opposed to 16 or 32's. I'd rather keep everything spread out in case one dies, I lose one, etc.
This is an important security feature. Everyone would be smart to follow this.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Anyone have experience with the calumet branded cards? The specs make them seem like a fucking great deal. I do a lot of video, so large, fast cards are a must. I have a ton of cards as it is, but only 1 large 32GB card (233x) -- and sometimes it chokes when doing video, mostly when i'm just starting to record.

UDMA6, 625x -- this is faster than the sandisk extreme pro 600x (90MB/sec)

$200 for a 32GB
$139 for a 16GB
$88 for an 8GB

wizeguy4

Apr 5, 2002
Allentown, PA

what about data recovery?

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
Anyone have experience with the calumet branded cards? The specs make them seem like a fucking great deal. I do a lot of video, so large, fast cards are a must. I have a ton of cards as it is, but only 1 large 32GB card (233x) -- and sometimes it chokes when doing video, mostly when i'm just starting to record.

UDMA6, 625x -- this is faster than the sandisk extreme pro 600x (90MB/sec)

$200 for a 32GB
$139 for a 16GB
$88 for an 8GB

Looking at prices and specs, I'd say try come from the same manufacturer as Delkin.

Chitown B

Oct 13, 2008
chicago, il

crap. my Transcend 16GB randomly died the other day. I didn't know I could send it back - but after that, I think I'm going to start moving to Sandisk even though it's more expensive. Not worth losing more photos, plus they are slower.

Marix

OT Supporter
May 23, 2006
I just ordered 10x 8Gb Transcend Class 10 cards off amazon :dunno:

I'm using each one fully to test them. Up to the 7th card and they're all fine so far

Girth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
OT Supporter
Jun 28, 2002
Houston
I know how much memory can cost if you go all the way to Chicago and forget all your memory cards. 8GB CF cards run about $200 in Downtown Chicago. :hs:

ask me how I know.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
Looking at prices and specs, I'd say try come from the same manufacturer as Delkin.
is that good or bad? i've heard of the brand, but ive only really seen it at big box stores like walmart or any of hte warehouse stores (costco/sam's)

i have an off-brand 32GB 266x that i picked up at Fry's when i first got my 7D almost 2 years ago and have been using it almost exclusively since then (even though i have some 4 and 8gb sandisks -- usually not big enough for video jobs) and it's still doing well.

Aero277

Aug 13, 2003
Los Angeles
crap. my Transcend 16GB randomly died the other day. I didn't know I could send it back - but after that, I think I'm going to start moving to Sandisk even though it's more expensive. Not worth losing more photos, plus they are slower.

Really? :wtc:

I'm on my 6th or 7th one...I have 2x16gb cards (used for video, filled up quick) and 4x8gb cards. I haven't had either of them screw up on me yet and they're all plenty quick for recording 1080p @ 30fps. From the tests I saw, Transcend was either second or very close to Sandisk in reviews.

Did you try recovering? Recuva's pretty easy and fairly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterparl19