SRS Any job is better than NO job...right?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, May 13, 2008.

?

did i give him the right advice?

1. Yes, he should take it. $ is better than no $, no matter how much it is

37 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, he should pass...not worth it for $8.40/hr.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

Agree or disagree?

My cousin who is 26 is lazy and hasnt been working for a year and 4 months now...and counting. Thats right, not one single day during that time he worked. Why? Because he was lazy and didnt feel like doing shit for that time but just sit at home and sleep in, watch tv, play games, do whatever. Anyways, I told him that it might be hard for him to find work now that hes been off for so long.

So last week he happened to come across this job posting where you learn how to draw and do basic arts and crafts for a government annual project, and get paid by the government as well. You basically go to this small workshop classroom, with about a class of 16 (ages 15-30) and have fun and work on projects funded by the government. Its F/T, Mon-Fri, 5 month course, at minimum wage (which is $8.40CDN right now here). When he met up with the dude last Fri, he said after deductions, bi-weekly paycheques will be just over $500CDN.

I also told him, it would be a great way to network and meet some great people! He has barely left his parents house ever since he has been unemployed...since he mostly stays in. Obviously this is not healthy. So not only will this make him some money, but it will get his life back to where it was and at least make him socialize in everyday life again and go about the basic responsibilities, instead of being alone all day talking to nobody.

I told him to take it. Even if its not something long term, it at least brings him in some coin - sure hes made almost twice as much hourly at past jobs, but again he lives at home still and doesnt have to pay rent or any bills but his cell phone (doesnt drive, etc). So he has it rather easy. So taking it that he doesnt have any bills really to pay off, $500+ pay cheques at twice a month should bring him in at least a grand....then minus all his costs for lunches, etc. The place even covers bus far, so he doesnt have to worry about that, saves him easily $70 a month right there!

And on top of all this, my cousin is artistic and likes to draw and create stuff. Sure it may not be his biggest hobby but he enjoys it with the right people and right resources. This place even said after or near the end of the course, they will even assist in helping everyone try to find jobs in this field if they wanted to accept. If not, everyone will finish the course with at least some kind of work accomplishment to put on the resume, and a project that they can present in shows.

What do you guys think? Did I give him the right advice? He doesnt know if he should take it and do it for the time being, while looking for other work or just pass on it. :o

Minimum wage job is better than sitting at home and making nothing right? But would you do this if you were him? He told me, working for minimum wage would be insulting and hard to motivate yourself to get to work everyday for it. :noes: He may not want to do it, but he may not have that option right now. What should I say to him to get him to see this?

And if he does take it, he has to decide like within the next couple days or else the spot will be offered to someone else. He already got the offer so....theyre just waiting for his response.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. 93dabeast

93dabeast New Member

i think you gave him good advice to take the job, sure its low pay but hes outta the house and doing something with his time. he probably just got used to being home doing nothing. now he will have some money, maybe while he is at work over there, he will make friends with people and network, like you suggested and that might light the fire under his ass to get a better paying job and make something of himself.

3. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

Totally take it! It'll at least take him out of this rut he's been in. (And since I'm only getting paid 7.15 an hour right now, 8dollars seems pretty nice!)

4. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

Ok I will try to cover all unclear areas.

1) He is depressed, hes suffered from depression on and off for the past 10yrs. He has gotten counselling but hes seen so many, that hes gotten discouraged and didnt want to see anymore. He is on meds for it and its helped. Ive asked him about this, and he said its not so much about being depressed but rather he just doesnt like or want to work period. If he does, its a P/T slack job. Hes just lazy and doesnt want to bust his butt for stuff in life.

Hes told me that he doesnt want to work F/T because it depresses him.

2) His parents actually are being lied to (and have been for the past year and a half, since he left his job), thinking that he is actually still working at the job he was at 1.5yrs ago.

3) He was working in the black market last year for a couple months buying and selling hot electronics and clothing. Apparently he made $1200 or so doing this and has managed to make this money, last him all of last year and up till now. He also met up with some XXX company starting up and did a favour and made $200.

4) He has no friends, not one. THey either moved away or they went their seperate ways. As a result, he rarely leaves his parents house. He told me on average, maybe once a week if that....sometimes, once every 2 or 3 weeks!

5) Hes actually a really bright guy, he can get a decent job (hes had a handful of them in the past), but hes just too lazy to go out and do it himself. He wont ever settle for a fast food job he said, no matter how much the pay is.

5. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

cliche but true: it's not what you know, but who you know.

sitting at home and jacking off accomplishes nothing.

my friend started working at a gas station and he became friends with one of the regulars there who always went there for coffee. He said he liked his personality and got him a job at a car dealership. Same story there. He kept a positive attitude, made friends, and he hit off with one of the customers who asked him if he wanted to work at an internet security company.

He's now a network administrator making 70K a year, and he's still climbing :eek3:

I have another friend who dropped out of highschool, did data entry for a bank, and kept getting promoted. he now is an account manager :cool:

moral of the story. get a job where you can meet lots of people, keep a positive attitude, an try to have a more outgoing personality where you can communicate your enthusiasm and knowledge to everyone around you. :o

6. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

maybe he's got some underlying issues that need to be sorted out.

depression is serious bidness :o

7. registeredPORK

registeredPORK Happy Poo Poo

I read the first line and voted.

ANY job is better then NO job. While working a shitty job you can ALWAYS look for another one that's better and pays more for the skills that you have. No good job will honestly hire you if you've been out of work for a year and a half if you don't have a good reason (such as school, medical, etc).

... and now that I've said I'll read the rest of the post :o

[edit]

In all honesty, getting this job is better then no job. This will put recent work history on his resume and future job applications and you are right, this will be a perfect time for him to network, meet new people, and all of that. I don't see why he wouldn't take it.

It sounds like he doesn't much care for working or getting his life straight together. He's 26, not 19.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

He's lazy and not doing shit with his life-of course he should take the job.

9. bimmer318

bimmer318 I'm out of applesauce

Jakob, you're in Toronto right?

Can you tell me what kinda job this is?

I'd love to do some sort of art thing like that. even to volunteer. I work from 8-5 so something in the evenings or weekends would be awesome

10. hsugh knight

hsugh knight Guest

the only time not having a job is better than no job is when you're doing something illegal.

11. kristaliah

kristaliah New Member

He's been sitting on his ass for nearly a year and a half now. He has no right to think that any job is beneath him. :ugh: