ART any manual focus elitists up in this bitch?

psykosis

Had dinner w/ Inspector Seb, we're basically bff's
Oct 31, 2001
Listing between sin and salvation
Local camera shop has some older lenses that are going to be manual focus, and I have a very odd desire to buy 1 (er, some) of them. They are cheap, stupid sharp, and some are cool as hell. How annoying will the manual focus be? I'd not really be using them for action shots where I'd really rely on autofocus to cover my ass, but more for landscape, portrait, or other still photos.

Tell me how stupid I'm being...

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
Better make sure whatever camera you have can take a different focusing screen, because most likely your original one won't show you any DOF shallower than f/4. Or rely on AF confirm which kind of defeats the purpose.

TS
TS
psykosis

psykosis

Oct 31, 2001
what lenses are they? want to know if they're actually stupid sharp or if you're just romanticizing old lenses :hsugh:

last one I played with at the shop was a Sigma 400 f5.6 fixed aperature mirror lens.

Looks like this:

d8522bf2680a4932effb7413821de975.jpg

This one was sharp, but only decently so. There were others I don't remember the specifics of that impressed me, but obviously they are all older lenses that won't autofocus...

Cesium

OT Supporter
Nov 25, 2004
Colorado
Meh. Are you on Canon? Go buy a Sigma 400 f/5.6 APO for $200. It has AF and also fixed f/5.6 since the new cameras can't control the aperture any more.

Cicada

Abraham $LINK’in
OT Supporter
Sep 30, 2008
SoCal
last one I played with at the shop was a Sigma 400 f5.6 fixed aperature mirror lens.

Looks like this:

d8522bf2680a4932effb7413821de975.jpg

This one was sharp, but only decently so. There were others I don't remember the specifics of that impressed me, but obviously they are all older lenses that won't autofocus...
a mirror lens? :hsugh:

Jcolman

OT Supporter
Aug 19, 2002
dirty souf
I tried manual focus the other day just to see if I had an "eye" for it. None of my images came out well. :(
Part of the problem could be your focusing screen. You need a good ground glass screen in your camera before you can focus properly.

I've switched out both my 5D II's screens to ground glass and it makes a big difference.

Waddup you?

OT Supporter
Aug 1, 2002
Sandy Eggo
I had put a focusing screen on my d80, and it did wonders compared to the factory screen. with the d300, I'll wait.

I do want a zeiss 35 1.4 and/or a 100mm f2 tho :o

Wheezer

OT Supporter
Jul 1, 2002
Houston
Like everyone said, if you're going to do a lot of mf get a split prism focus screen. Canon has their own, but us Nikon guys have to go aftermarket. http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

I've been relying on the AF confirm in my D300, but this only works for stationary objects since you have to look away from the subject to see if it's in focus.

jigelow

Dec 16, 2010
It's sad that my old mans Canon FL from 1964 he gave me has a split prism with the meter in the view finder and some modern cameras don't.

Psykosis, you don't want a mirror lens, bud. You lose a lot of......well, everything with them. Like was said, if you want ridiculous length, look for that Sigma 400 spoken about earlier. I'd sell you mine, but it has some haze/fungus that needs to be taken care of.

TS
TS
psykosis

psykosis

Oct 31, 2001
It's sad that my old mans Canon FL from 1964 he gave me has a split prism with the meter in the view finder and some modern cameras don't.

Psykosis, you don't want a mirror lens, bud. You lose a lot of......well, everything with them. Like was said, if you want ridiculous length, look for that Sigma 400 spoken about earlier. I'd sell you mine, but it has some haze/fungus that needs to be taken care of.

that was just the last lens I played with. They have other, non-mirror lenses that I'd probably look at first. In the end, I probably won't buy any of them, but there is a certain appeal to them for me (for some unknown reason).

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vitalesan