FIT Any of you ever feel self destructive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrgyserboy

Jul 13, 2007
I'm at the point where I'm kinda getting sick of weightlifting. I reached all my goals that I set 6 years ago when I first started out. I used to weight 165 lbs at 5'8'' and I've hit 220 lbs last year. I hit 325 for a max bench, 425 for max squat and 435 for dead lift. I'm questioning why I even do this to myself. Am I ever going to need to throw these kind of numbers around in real life? My job definitely doesn't require it. Also, I don't look physically appealing being this big at my height. For short people, we look like trolls lol. What keeps you motivated? I might just stop lifting and get back down to around 170.

Adom

Aug 8, 2006
I'm at the point where I'm kinda getting sick of weightlifting. I reached all my goals that I set 6 years ago when I first started out. I used to weight 165 lbs at 5'8'' and I've hit 220 lbs last year. I hit 325 for a max bench, 425 for max squat and 435 for dead lift. I'm questioning why I even do this to myself. Am I ever going to need to throw these kind of numbers around in real life? My job definitely doesn't require it. Also, I don't look physically appealing being this big at my height. For short people, we look like trolls lol. What keeps you motivated? I might just stop lifting and get back down to around 170.
i guess being taller than that and not looking like a troll.

I dunno. I always set new goals. I'm not 6 years into it yet either though. so who knows.

TS
TS

nrgyserboy

Jul 13, 2007
lol... cant do anything about the height. I've set different goals throughout the years, mainly cutting/bulking but I'm getting lazy. I know 6 years isn't even a lot compared to guys like Timber. I'm just looking for people with different experience I guess.

Adom

Aug 8, 2006
i guess if you come to a point in your life where youd o'nt want to be as big, nothing wrong with losing some mass.

just stay healthy, live healthy. if you want. or just nig out and do nothing.

ADVICE UP IN THIS MOFO :run:

TS
TS

nrgyserboy

Jul 13, 2007
i guess if you come to a point in your life where youd o'nt want to be as big, nothing wrong with losing some mass.

just stay healthy, live healthy. if you want. or just nig out and do nothing.

ADVICE UP IN THIS MOFO :run:
I guess I can set a new goal of going back in the opposite direction lol. Yeah, it was fun while it lasted. Definitely built up my confidence in the gym when I was able to throw decent weight around. I'm sure you guys know what I'm talking about.

Dunken

Welcome to the team.
Dec 24, 2001
Tempe, AZ
looks like youve lost your motivation of gaining size. have you lost a desire for going to the gym and lifting or just health and fitness in general? since you dont like being so big try dieting down (the right way) to 190's and attempt to maintain your strength. unless you really just dont dig going to the gym.

TS
TS

nrgyserboy

Jul 13, 2007
looks like youve lost your motivation of gaining size. have you lost a desire for going to the gym and lifting or just health and fitness in general? since you dont like being so big try dieting down (the right way) to 190's and attempt to maintain your strength. unless you really just dont dig going to the gym.
I've been questioning myself past 2 weeks. I had a strict 5 days a week lifting schedule I stuck to for a long time but just recently, I've gone to the gym maybe twice a week and had some terrible workouts. I think maybe taking a year off might do me good. I might be burnt out.

Dunken

Welcome to the team.
Dec 24, 2001
Tempe, AZ
I've been questioning myself past 2 weeks. I had a strict 5 days a week lifting schedule I stuck to for a long time but just recently, I've gone to the gym maybe twice a week and had some terrible workouts. I think maybe taking a year off might do me good. I might be burnt out.

or maybe switch to a 3 day routine for a little while. train for another event for a month or two. dont just go inactive from fitness. summers coming up, you can at least push it out to look good by then, then re-evaluate your desire.

grimstone

magic murda bag
OT Supporter
Sep 28, 2004
atx
when is the last time you took a break you could just be burnt out and need some time off

smb is me

May 21, 2008
I was psyched to bulk up after i cut down to low single digit bf. Went from 167 on my lightest day up to 199 on my heaviest day, increased all my lifts considerably.

Decided it wasn't worth it. I wasn't happy with the way i looked at that weight, looked and felt "bulky" and it didn't make me happy. It sucks seeing my strength come back down, but i much prefer the way i look and feel when i've got a lean, athletic build, as opposed to bulky, stout build. 5'11" btw.

so i can see where you are coming from, and i agree. Even if you are shredded, i don't know how good of a look 5'8" and 220lbs is gonna be. Just a LOT OF FUCKING WEIGHT to be carrying around at that height.

I'd say go for a month or two of slimming down a bit while deciding if you really want to take a year off, first. If after a month or two you still feel like its not adding anything to your life, and still want to take that year off of working out, go for it. But if i were you, i'd at least give it 6-12wks of working towards a new/different goal and see if that made me feel better before taking a year break. (never know, that year break could turn into 5-10 years. and that 220 of decent shape 20% could turn into 220 of outta shape 30%)

kit99bar

USPA Class 1, weak, old man!
Jul 18, 2001
you mention cutting and bulking cycles. have you ever tried to lean down to 10% or lower?

mandrew

Aug 25, 2008
S.F.
why can't you keep lifting at 170?

a ripped 170 at your height would look good so nothing wrong with that :dunno:

smb is me

May 21, 2008
why can't you keep lifting at 170?

a ripped 170 at your height would look good so nothing wrong with that :dunno:

exactly, and if you did a slow, patient cut, you'd still be damn muscular, and damn strong for that size, i'd imagine.

Rojo Johnson

Dec 27, 2004
Texas
Take a few months off, then just drop some weight. I bet you'd miss it if you just quit all together and lost all your strength.

TS
TS

nrgyserboy

Jul 13, 2007
I was psyched to bulk up after i cut down to low single digit bf. Went from 167 on my lightest day up to 199 on my heaviest day, increased all my lifts considerably.

Decided it wasn't worth it. I wasn't happy with the way i looked at that weight, looked and felt "bulky" and it didn't make me happy. It sucks seeing my strength come back down, but i much prefer the way i look and feel when i've got a lean, athletic build, as opposed to bulky, stout build. 5'11" btw.

so i can see where you are coming from, and i agree. Even if you are shredded, i don't know how good of a look 5'8" and 220lbs is gonna be. Just a LOT OF FUCKING WEIGHT to be carrying around at that height.

I'd say go for a month or two of slimming down a bit while deciding if you really want to take a year off, first. If after a month or two you still feel like its not adding anything to your life, and still want to take that year off of working out, go for it. But if i were you, i'd at least give it 6-12wks of working towards a new/different goal and see if that made me feel better before taking a year break. (never know, that year break could turn into 5-10 years. and that 220 of decent shape 20% could turn into 220 of outta shape 30%)
Yeah, i think I'm going through what you did. Kinda have too much weight and it's a lot of work to keep it. I feel too heavy. I actually haven't taken a break besides getting sick here and there. I can't remember the last break I've had. I might just slim down to 170 and start building it back up again.

Mass

Jan 11, 2004
another reason I'm glad I'm 6'1, but I see you've been working out for 6yrs, I have almost 5 on ya. I no longer purposely eat to "bulk up" anymore, I have way to much money invested in tailored dress shirts to having to keep buying new ones because they don't fit anymore. I have tried intermittent fasting and it does work, but if you like to eat, you may find yourself binge eating to the point that you are negating the benefits of fasting. To this day, I still enjoy eating only when I'm hungry, with getting most of my carbs from fruit and veggies. I do some different things for pwo nutrition, but for the most part, I really feel healthy eating this way.

TS
TS

nrgyserboy

Jul 13, 2007
interesting website SMB. I've bookmarked it. I'll take a look at it this weekend.

Yeah Mass, it's funny, I have half my wardrobe in Large and the other half in X-large. It's ridiculous. I think I'm just sick of putting up with the money, the discipline, strain on my joints and everything else. I'll probably be starting a crazy cut back down to 170. The hardest part is going to be giving up the strength. It's an addictive feeling.

timberwolf

Jan 30, 2004
Toronto

This.

Shiftknob

Aug 18, 2004
The State of South Florida
im your height at 170, the only guys holding that kind of weight at 5'7-5'9 would be an nfl running back. its already hard enough finding clothes for me somtimes. Maurice jones drew, 5'7, 225 lbs WO

Lukkie

OT Supporter
Apr 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
im your height at 170, the only guys holding that kind of weight at 5'7-5'9 would be an nfl running back. its already hard enough finding clothes for me somtimes. Maurice jones drew, 5'7, 225 lbs WO

used to see him in the dining halls when i was undergrad. im 5'7 too. jesus christ that fucker was huge :rofl:

Memor

Jun 22, 2006
NYC
Whether you need the kick in the ass or not - for 6 years of lifting, getting chubby and going 325/425/435 is pretty fucking terrible dude. My last training partner, regular friend when I was in college, at 170 pulled 405 probably his 6th week in the gym, and by the end of the year pulled 500. He also benched 315 after about a year and squatted 455 after a year and a half. He didn't have great genetics, he just busted his ass and ate right.

I'm not saying this to directly insult you - but if you're having some existential problem about why-should-i-persevere, you could be weighing much less, be in better shape, and be a lot stronger even within a year if you did things right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec