any pool players on OT?

kylieannminogue

May 31, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm pretty terrible at pool but I would like to change that. What's the first thing I should focus on? I will very likely hit up youtube but any tips from you ladies and gents would be appreciated.

CookieMonster

Jun 18, 2003
Louisiana
practice what though? like, practice during gameplay or drills? on level of knowledge, i'm at like 2/10.
Practice shots
That way you will gain muscle memory. Also start playing against people that play often. They can give you pointers. As far as how hard or soft to hit the cue ball. An the area that you hit the cue ball.
An being able to kind of control the cue ball to go after the shot has been made to set up for another shot. (If first shot was made)

pacent

For Teh Nguyen
OT Supporter
Nov 24, 2004
Start with the very basic, which means consistency in ball striking, which bridge you should use in which circumstances, your stance, and your stroke. All of that comes with practice and muscle memory.

Learning about english, deflection, throws, safeties, bank and kiss shots are important, but not as critical as your fundamental mechanics.

Do it To it

Only thing I hate more than kids is an empty glass
OT Supporter
Mar 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm pretty terrible at pool but I would like to change that. What's the first thing I should focus on? I will very likely hit up youtube but any tips from you ladies and gents would be appreciated.

Your stroke
Elbow drop
Your shooting routine
Keeping your chin on the cue
Follow through

If you don't have good mechanics, posture, and routine, you will be wildly inconsistent. You will gain nothing practicing speed, spin, English, ball control, leaves, all the shit that actually matters if your stroke is giving you mixed results.

I am not good at pool but I do play in league. Set up a camera and run a rack. Post that video to r/billiards with a title like "I just started playing pool and don't want to build on bad habits. Help me figure out my stroke"

And you'll have 11ty people saying "at 1:52 you dropped your elbow and that's why the cue ball went here instead of there."

Learning good mechanics -> practicing a prefect stroke -> learning how to make the cue ball do things with consistency -> running racks

The Great Deceiver

21st Century Schizoid Man
May 27, 2006
chalk your cue before every shot

mentally extend your cue into an imaginary line where your ball will go

err on the side of too little power rather than too much power

when you get better, then start to think about where you cue ball will end up for the subsequent shots, bank shots, where on the cue ball to strike to roll it backward or forward after it hits the target, or the rare case you need to do curve shots

XO

I'll bee your honey
OT Supporter
Oct 5, 2001
Not*Cal
I just found one of my mcdermott cues in storage the other day, haven't seen that thing in probably 15 years

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DSimnovec