Any Private Pilots on OT? Advice on going for a PPL and training?

victor77

Internet Crew
OT Supporter
Mar 13, 2011
Internets
I think we have at least 1 or 2 private pilots here. It's something I've been wanting to do for years and now have the time and finances to make happen.

What should you look for in a training facility and instructor? Any advice? Thanks!

LancerV

Buttslut sighting
OT Supporter
Sep 16, 2003
Just look for an FFA 141 Schools in your area, its easy to get just $$$$$

jrmcm

Cocaine and cocaine accessories
Oct 9, 2001
Plano, TX
$10k
Be 100% committed once you start. Have all the money and the time ready and waiting. A huge percentage never finish. Be ready to read a bunch. Actually flying the airplane is a surprisingly small part of it.

Forget MSFS for now. It’s actually a decent tool later on, but will cripple you with bad habits before learning the basics to start (looking out the windows, talking on the radio, diligent preflight, rudimentary preflight). It’s good for leaning your way around a G1000 though, which is helpful.
45D587A0-49D6-43CA-BDF5-2478A055FD3C.jpeg

2A914479-A8A2-42F2-A905-219FBF816BA3.jpeg

SR_71

OT Supporter
Jan 10, 2005
Ottawa
There is another OTer who is also a private pilot in RL. His screen name starts with @o or something like this and he seems no longer to be here. He had a huge thread here about landing his plane on middle of the highway in San Diego several years ago when it ran into mechanical problems.

Bugalu

OT Supporter
Nov 23, 2003
Nashville
$10k
Be 100% committed once you start. Have all the money and the time ready and waiting. A huge percentage never finish. Be ready to read a bunch. Actually flying the airplane is a surprisingly small part of it.

Forget MSFS for now. It’s actually a decent tool later on, but will cripple you with bad habits before learning the basics to start (looking out the windows, talking on the radio, diligent preflight, rudimentary preflight). It’s good for leaning your way around a G1000 though, which is helpful.
View attachment 233357

View attachment 233358
THIS. have the cash set aside and earmarked for flights. It’s not hard. But if you try to break it up and take a few months off….. u fucked

Remy Bressant

40 big girls and a bottle
OT Supporter
Jul 24, 2015
SoCal
There is another OTer who is also a private pilot in RL. His screen name starts with @o or something like this and he seems no longer to be here. He had a huge thread here about landing his plane on middle of the highway in San Diego several years ago when it ran into mechanical problems.
Cargo shorts bro

@OrionDartanyu or something

Reactions: JohnnyBeagle

Fanya

OT Supporter
Jun 23, 2005
I have mine. Fun as fuck. If you take any meds or have medical problems, make sure the FAA will approve your medical before you waste money.
On this topic, if you have a dwi or drug charge you probably won't get your medical either.

KERS

OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2003
As most have said, have all the cash/time ready and planned. If you can do 3-5 lessons per week, you'll get it done faster and cheaper overall than if you do 1-2x/week.

Reactions: AndyP

KERS

OT Supporter
Aug 7, 2003
Yeah a friend of mine got all the way up to his solo. He went to get his medical and had two disqualifying medical conditions. Sucked.
I've seen this happen plenty of times. Most common nowadays is younger people on ADHD/anxiety/anti-psychotic meds

Reactions: amalgamas and AndyP

Users who are viewing this thread

About Us

• Please do not post anything that violates any Local, State, Federal or International Laws. Your privacy is protected. You have the right to be forgotten. Site funded by advertising, link monetization and member support.
OT v15.8.1 Copyright © 2000-2022 Offtopic.com
Served by fu.offtopic.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marsillpost